Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been noticing some changes of direction in Metallica lately that I'm trying to understand. Theres a litle feeling in some of us that want the Metallica from 1986 back. Now they've been talking about how their new material is leaning more towards their roots, and that they wanna "thrash" again.
    In early interviews pertaining to the new album, Kirk was talking about how their new sound is sort of Meshuggah-ish, which led me to believe they were listening to alot of more modern metal bands and being influenced. Then the Ja Rule track gets released, and Metallicas guitars are tuned down to B (!). Then when the Summer Sanitarium 03 is annouced, Kirk says the bands co-headlining with Metallica are standing for alot of what Metallica is trying to do musically at this point. (Another hint of Metallica's more nu-metal approach?) And my final comment, James' new signature ESP guitar ships with a heavy gauge of strings and they're tuned down to B.

Some of you non-guitarists may not follow me here on some of it, but to me, all signs are pointing to Metallica picking up too much of a nu-metal influence, and they collaborated with Ja-Rule for christs' sake. At first I was excited about this possibly being Metallica's first decent album since the black album, but now I'm a little frightened to hear what i'll be hearing come June 10th when St. Anger hits shelves.

And then again, Metallica are in their 40's. They're getting to old to be trendy and shit. Maybe they won't be influenced by the current crap crop of metal bands, and will surpise us all.

What do you think? No flames please, I've stuck with Metallica through all of their bullshit, as far as this band goes I'm only in it for the music at this point.
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

whats wrong with nu metal???????(i hate that term) [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] im just messin bro. [img]tongue.gif[/img] actually i dig what youre saying about metallica and i agree with jason newstead that this tour is about money not influence(even though i love deftones i was confused about them being on the tour). im sure this cd will sound like load/reload , not like Entombed like kirk said [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] . now if they wernt going to bend to trends theyd be like Slayer or Pantera.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I might just be biased to older music, who knows man. But to me, the nu-metal bands are coming out just as fast as American Idol can crank out pop stars. Alot of them have nothing new to offer and alot of the material (lyrics, riffs) are recycled. Just my rant.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hey man, i LOVE older music too. remember Van Halens my favorite band [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img] i agree theres a bunch crap coming out now.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.19.12 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by 5150atomic:
    I might just be biased to older music, who knows man. But to me, the nu-metal bands are coming out just as fast as American Idol can crank out pop stars. Alot of them have nothing new to offer and alot of the material (lyrics, riffs) are recycled. Just my rant.
    This time period in rock music reminds of the late 80's early 90's. The "hair metal" was played out but the record companies kept signing these god-awful bands. All recycled crap with the same image, same sound, same songs. I think we are at that point with most of the "nu-metal" that is out today. I think it's time for another revolution. Hopefully we will get there soon.
    "The sound of Van Halen was meant to spill out, all over your stereo and ruin the rest of your record collection "...David Lee Roth

Check out one of the best bands to come out of Arizona. Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. www.rogerclyne.net

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by rxman:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 5150atomic:
    This time period in rock music reminds of the late 80's early 90's. The "hair metal" was played out but the record companies kept signing these god-awful bands. All recycled crap with the same image, same sound, same songs. I think we are at that point with most of the "nu-metal" that is out today. I think it's time for another revolution. Hopefully we will get there soon. </font>[/QUOTE]Amen. We're WAY overdue for a musical revolution. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with you but wouldn't necessarily look at it as hair metal. Just as a bunch of people that really wanted to fuckin rock, and they all played their instruments! The hair band label is kind of annoying actually, and when you think about it, this grunge/nu-metal thing has been going on just about the same amount of time as the "hair band" thing went on. Maybe we're close to that revolution.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

im confused...so you want glam/hair metal to come back? shred players to be popular?....what is this new music youre searching for? and what does it sound like?.....dont get me wrong but im curious now because everyones bitching about how all new music bands sucks and its gonna die and theres gonna be this reasurgence ,whats it going to sound like?.....i mean, most of those 80 s bands are around they just arent popular anymore but who cares? theres tons of old music to listen to and shred players are still making albums...the 80s just arent coming back as neither are the early 2010 s but you just listen to what you like.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Rick S:
    im confused...so you want glam/hair metal to come back? shred players to be popular?....what is this new music youre searching for? and what does it sound like?.....dont get me wrong but im curious now because everyones bitching about how all new music bands sucks and its gonna die and theres gonna be this reasurgence ,whats it going to sound like?.....i mean, most of those 80 s bands are around they just arent popular anymore but who cares? theres tons of old music to listen to and shred players are still making albums...the 80s just arent coming back as neither are the early 2010 s but you just listen to what you like.
    It's not about popularity so much for me. I just wish it would be accepted and wish that guys like that Ultimate-Guitar editor (see Guitar Room) wouldn't rag on 80's bands or shredders because it isn't the "in" thing anymore.

Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since theyre in their 40's the band should be the elder statesmen of rock,ones that people look upon and say "thats the type of band that hasnt fallin to trends" but instead they rather tune their guitars down and play with pretty looking guitars.I was watching the live shit Dvd from 1992 and was thinking...How can this band change so drastically?one day theyre a bunch of working class headbangers,then you have Lars suing a lipstick company for having the words "Metallic" on it the next.I'm starting to Understand Jason alot more.Unerving for this fan [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]

[ February 21, 2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: VanHalenMetallica ]
    The question is not, "Does love exist?"
    But when she leaves, where she goes?
    I got the feelin' she don't know either
    Wait like the wind, watch where she blows

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

It is sad considering how they were such trendsetters back in the early to mid 80's.

But this "Metallica Selling Out" argument has been going on since And Justice For All, at least it was were I grew up. Hell, we even kinda felt that Puppets was pushing it a little (these days I consider that album to be one of the best Metal albums ever).

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I've looked into my crystal ballz and have seen the next music revolution.
    Imagine for a moment the thought of EVH playing on the Beatles 'Revolver'. Not the 'shred' Ed but the complex chord structures-the rhythm guitar he plays. That would make for some snappy pop music(neck-snapping pop music?).
    So there you go. You just got 2 predictions for the price of one. Now the big question: who is gonna pen these lofty lyrics for the Dutch duo? Look for an old-school rock writer. Probably not some huge rock star type but someone we'll all know. We'll all be pleasantly surprised.
    VH will be the next rock-n-roll revolution. It won't even be called Van Halen.
    The tour will have no opening act. I'm leaning towards no tour at all.
    Now--back to topic:
    Metallica sucks since they cut their hair. Not that cutting their hair was the cause; it was the effect. Maybe Britney Spears will play bass for them 'cause Metallica has become the Britney Spears of hard rock. Notice I said "hard rock". They ain't been metal for 15 years.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by cyberfiddl:
    I've looked into my crystal ballz and have seen the next music revolution.
    Imagine for a moment the thought of EVH playing on the Beatles 'Revolver'. Not the 'shred' Ed but the complex chord structures-the rhythm guitar he plays. That would make for some snappy pop music(neck-snapping pop music?).
    So there you go. You just got 2 predictions for the price of one. Now the big question: who is gonna pen these lofty lyrics for the Dutch duo? Look for an old-school rock writer. Probably not some huge rock star type but someone we'll all know. We'll all be pleasantly surprised.
    VH will be the next rock-n-roll revolution. It won't even be called Van Halen.
    The tour will have no opening act. I'm leaning towards no tour at all.
    Now--back to topic:
    Metallica sucks since they cut their hair. Not that cutting their hair was the cause; it was the effect. Maybe Britney Spears will play bass for them 'cause Metallica has become the Britney Spears of hard rock. Notice I said "hard rock". They ain't been metal for 15 years.
    lol 15 years is right on the money. 1988, i considered AJFA metal. Has anyone downloaded the supposed "demos" for St. Anger? They do sound exactly like James, and have that shitty demo tone that Metallica has always had (see Metallica: Ultimate Albums). If it's the new material or anything like it...it ain't too bad..and I'm saying that based on Load/Reload. It's not great music (the demos) but it's a helluva lot better than the last few albums.