Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it took a while..

1995/1996 - I Liked the monkees, made my dad buy me a cd. one of the greatest hits. i was 6 and i liked 50s and 60s music. i even requested a song on the radio

1996/1997 - my neigbor introduced me to pop music on the radio

1997-2001 - pop music all through these years. i remember i was in the car with my parents and they turned on the radio to their music (rock) and which appeared to be GNR, i cried and got my way because NSYNC wasnt on. 1998 i saw the hot for teacher vid on vh1.

September 2001- - i have gotten into VH at 11, i copied a cd, my dad brought home from the local library, DD and 1984, and i still have the playlist on my hard drive, i made it so 1984 and diver down was on the same cd. I checked out the covers, and took a listen, i recognized the hot for teacher from watching the previously video shown in 1998. I burned the cd on September 18, 2001- 4:19 PM. i am shocked how far i have come, my friends, obsessed with pop, think i am crazy. but i really dont care what they think. i will remain to like rock till' the day i die.
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't remember liking "soft pop" when i was starting out...my uncle lived with my grandmother, and he would play us stuff while she was at work. my uncle's pushing 6'8" or so, and he's got a couple Harleys at the time (you can tell where this is going...) we're sitting there one day going through his Doors albums, and i'm thinking this stuff is pretty good. this was back in the late 70's, early 80's, when WMMS in Cleveland was the best radio station (now it's just corporate crapola...) any given day, we're spinning the Stones, Hendrix, Zep, Zappa (Joe's Garage, mostly...) i was maybe 11, only kid my age i know listening to "hard rock" radio. never got away from the influence of the stuff my uncle played us, but when we got MTV there were all new influences...started getting into VH, etc then, but also the new wave stuff...those were the days...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ah yes the doors, i love them. one of my friends like some of the classic rock.

cool story twona. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

i am also in heavy metal, sabbath, BLS, some megadeth, you know a couple of songs.
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I discovered Van HALEN when I was 12. Nothing wrong with that
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I first got into rock when I heard Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do) in 1995 when I was 9.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dan Halen:
    I first got into rock when I heard Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do) in 1995 when I was 9.
    9 in '95. I'm suddenly feeling very old.....
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i was only 5 in 1995. my mom won the balance cd off the radio that year [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Gahhh, I feel like a late bloomer. I've told this story over and over again, but I love to tell it, so here goes again. [img]smile.gif[/img]

In 7th grade - I was what, 12 - I heard Right Now at a hockey game. I was frickin' enchanted, but was shy about my musical preferences, cuz I thought I heard my dad calling rock "crap" once. (I was wrong [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

8th grade rolls around - I get the Top Gun soundtrack. Granted, this isn't a legendary hard rock album, but they pull off some pretty neat riffs. I notice I lean away from the softer songs. I notice Right Now continually stays stuck in my head.

Pretty soon, it gets unbearable, and in December of 1999 I break down and buy BOV1. My parents look at me like I've gone to Hell, LOL. But they don't mind, really. After a while they get used to it, and the rest is really history.
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Favorite VH Song

ALL
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it was about 1980 or 1981 my brother brought home a "brownesville station" album. Then at about age 12 my bestfriend got me into ac/dc and my friends and i formed an airguitar band and performed concerts at recess with a ghetto blaster for all the chicks. we even got into the local newspaper (my mom still has the article, i am now 31). Then comes along my first listen to "eruption". After that, i had to pick up the guitar. i guess the rest is history! ever since then i haven't been able to put it down, and still love to rock just as much as i did at recess! hahaha!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was workin at a 50's Diner as a dishwasher in the summer of '98. The owner would be back cooking while I was doing dishes and he played a classic rock station on the radio so we didn't have to hear the 50's crap gettin played up front. I liked Classic Rock like Billy Joel and Bob Seger and John Mellencamp but nothin heavy. Every time Van Halen came on the radio the guy went nuts. After workin there for about a month I started to join him....the rest is history.

The only good to come out of that shitty job.
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I got into rock from my parents. I remember I used to boogie to my parents Billy Joel and Who records when I was four.

Also, my Dad is a drummer and most of his friends are really good musicians. I remember watching his bands practice on weekends when I was a kid. They would play awesome stuff, like Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, and the Who.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You know, growing up it was a wonder my musical tastes leaned towards rock. My dad was into big band with a slight leaning towards classical (slight). My mom liked do-wop '50s and '70s soft rock.

Then along comes my brother in 1991 with the Metallica self titles album on casette. I didn't really have a preference separate of his until 1994 when I got into high school, but considering that back then he was into Metallica, Van Halen, Guns N Roses, and the like, I wasn't in too bad of hands (until he took a right turn to dance, country, and gangsta rap as the '90s continued on).
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, VH, WACF, Balance, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, H4T, I\'m the One, Romeo
    Last Online

12.26.07 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All I remember is I started with the Rolling Stones [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I guess it would be when I bought 'Live Killers' by Queen...

I always loved and played music and I was all over the genre map...I never was exclusively a "rock" listener...even when I bought Circus magazine every other week for the VH/Iron Maiden articles!!

My first real show was Sammy on the VOA tour in San Francisco...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

02.26.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I was a kid, I used to listen to 60's music like The Kinks, Stones, Quo etc..
    I got into Aerosmith and The Beatles for a while, then I got into Queen through seeing the movie Highlander and stayed with them until '96 (when I was 16).
    On the bus going to college one day, my friend got on with an old tape he found while clearing some cupboard in his house.

Half of it had been recorded over and I listened to the other half and that was my first taste of hard rock.
    That was when my Deep Purple collection started and It was around this time I was just starting to solo and play lead on the guitar.

I then got into Zeppelin, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Maiden and even Bon Jovi before I found what I was looking for.

I had heard many references to Van Halen throughout my life and knew they were rock/metal and I even remember seeing Jump when I was real young (musta been about 4 or 5)

But it wasn't until I got the Dec '98 issue of a guitar mag I bought (with a demo of Eruption for the release of the Wolfgang Special) that I was blown away.
    A couple days later I bought BOV1 and listened to it non-stop over and over until Christmas when I got VHI, VHII, FW and 1984.

I then took my Christmas money and bought WACF and DD. I was hooked
    <b>Obey the DFK!!</b><br /><br />"Teacher needs to see me after school"