On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It worked for Aerosmith so Ratt takes the Chevrolet into the garage for an overhaul overseen by top-flight mechanics like songwriters for hire Desmond Child and Diane Warren, DeMartini and Crosby's nimble high tech riffs curbed in favour of The Song. Power chords are tripled and quadrupled to faciliate maximum thickness, a thickness akin to molasses draped in a layer of winter fat covered with a bear skin rug, all led by the hailing battlecry of Bobby Blotzer's slicing snare drum strike. With the only thing connecting Detonator to Ratt of old being the Pearcy snarl, this radical metamorphasis alienated a devotee or two. But don't think that this rodent was going soft. Detonator has this band operating at full-on ferocity, the entire operation shaking like a pissed-off rattlesnake dripping metal-melting acid venom.

'Lovin' You's A Dirty Job' conquers nations with a massive Cecil B. DeMille epic chorus wielding a hook that pierces and rips like razor sharp great white shark fishing line.

'One Step Away' is an unashamed tablet of optimistic happy rock with angel choir backup vox and suspended fourth guitar lines invoking nostalgia for the possiblity of lost love reclaimed.

A circular throbbing, unrelenting rhythm swirls throughout 'Hard Time'.

And 'Heads I Win Tails You Lose' brings in guest heavyweight Jon Bon Jovi for a chorus counter vocal that only serves to compliment Pearcy's range.

'All Or Nothing' grooves with a 'Way Cool Junior' slink that pulls you in holds you under till it's good and ready to let you go. It's capped with a female backup part emerging in the final chorus that hits the high notes necessary for this killer song to find its zenith.

'Givin' Yourself Away' finds Pearcy stretching into areas we haven't heard before, starting the song off in a low register with solid control and moving forward into a loping chorus that runs forward with confident strides, keyboards and guitar lines supporting him all the way.

Album closer 'Top Secret' is where Ratt gets down to business with high octane diesel fuel furor driven by Blotzer's unceasingly firm white knuckle grip on the wheel of this all-American hard rock vehicle.

Head down to your local used CD store, forget all you remember about 'Out Of The Cellar', and immerse yourself in the final evolutionary stage of Ratt's tenure with the major labels.
    ...what do you do when the bureaucracy that's supposed to help you...WANTS YOU DEAD? <a href="http://www.callumhouston.com" target="_blank">www.callumhouston.com</a>

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I like "Nobody Rides for Free" from the Point Break soundtrack (also included on Ratt's greatest hits CD) which was totally written by an outside writer.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Warren DeMartini was always one of favorite guitarists in the 80s. Him and George Lynch were the kings of the hair metal hill IMO. I never bought Detonator, but the songs from it on Ratt-n-Roll 81-91 are pretty good, especially Shame, Shame, Shame. But my personal favorites are still Lack of Communication and You're in Love.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

02.01.07 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Personally, I think that Can't Wait on Love is the best song on the album, hard and fast, and I love when the rhythm guitar double times in the second verse. I didn't think that this album was much different than previous Ratt outings, which is a good thing.

Now, Ratt (the 1999 album) was way different-not as hard or fast-but still had some pretty catchy songwriting, and not mellow by any means.

Last Online

07.07.15 @ 04:02 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have always liked Ratt on albumn and they were pretty good live with the exception of Stephen Pearcy....I always thought his voice sucked live. Perhaps one of the reasons that didnt get as big as some of the other bands of their day.DeMartini rocks!

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Way Cool Jr. always sounded a little EVHish to me. I loved Ratt when they came out and still listen to them occasionally. Too bad about Robbin Crosby dying.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It would be a hard decision for me to choose between listening to an album by RATT or Kathy Lee Gifford's Christmas Album.
    banned 3x