Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alice in Chains

Last Online

01.24.08 @ 09:30 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have never been a real fan, but I'm starting to get into their music, thanks to my office neighbor, who loans me CDs. Listening now to Nothing Safe . . . Some of their stuff sounds a little dark and disturbing, but a lot of it is pretty cool. They're British, right?

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

They're from Seattle I think (definitely American). Came up in the grunge movement.

I only have their Jar Of Flies CD, and it's really cool. I've only heard a handful of their other songs, most of which I like too.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, they're from Seattle, and the best of the grunge bands IMO. One of my favorite bands, maybe cause Jerry Cantrell's such a versatile musician--good singer, too.

It's a LOT dark & disturbing, (I'd say "hauntingly beautiful" music on some of their tunes) but they fit the mood when I'm bummed out/pissed off for whatever reason.

Last I heard, they're still on hiatus officially--it all depends if Layne Staley kicks his drug habit, or if drugs wind up killing him. Jerry Cantrell did a little touring this summer, but haven't heard anything else from them.

"Them Bones" is an awesome tune to blast when going through bad neighborhoods & pissing 'em off--they do it to me when they drive through mine!
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

AIC rocks. They're one of my favorite bands from the 90's. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] I have Facelift, Dirt, Jar Of Flies, and their self-titled album. Cantrell rules and Lane Staley's voice is great. Dirt is by far their best album, IMO. Every song is good. Them Bones, Sickman, Down In A Hole, Rooster, Would? ... the list goes on.

[ October 24, 2001 at 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Dan Halen ]
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There Greatest Hits CD is an excellent compilation of songs - especially for people that only have Jar of Flies (like me) or don't want to go buying all of their other stuff for the songs they heard on the radio.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I like Them Bones, that's all I like from them though. Grunge bands suck. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

I love AIC. I actually consider them more metal than grunge. I think they were lumped in with the grunge bands since they came out of Seattle in the early '90's. I've always loved their vocal harmonies. Cantrell has some good solo stuff too.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yup, AIC is metal IMO. Grunge is something they weren't, aside from the doing black tar heroin in basements during rainy months in Seattle. Otherwise, no comparison. AIC kicks ass, scary ass. Dark and forbodeing. Minor keys if I'm not mistaken.

Any early AIC you buy is a winner. I miss em!

[img]smilies/thumb.gif[/img] Lawchick!
    RLRR LRLL

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not a grunge band at all, too talented. They got in at the end of the hair band days and got labeled a grunge band. I've got all of their stuff. Their box set is really cool. They are more metallish than grunge. I saw them open for VH off the FUCK tour and I've been a fan ever since. Dirt is their best cd. I would suggest buying their greatest hits cd and Dirt.
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan Halen:
    AIC rocks. They're one of my favorite bands from the 90's. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] I have Facelift, Dirt, Jar Of Flies, and their self-titled album. Cantrell rules and Lane Staley's voice is great. Dirt is by far their best album, IMO. Every song is good. Them Bones, Sickman, Down In A Hole, Rooster, Would? ... the list goes on.

[ October 24, 2001 at 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Dan Halen ]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You sir are correct! Especially Junkhead!!

[ October 25, 2001 at 08:38 PM: Message edited by: homeunit ]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diggyd:
    Not a grunge band at all, too talented. They got in at the end of the hair band days and got labeled a grunge band. I've got all of their stuff. Their box set is really cool. They are more metallish than grunge. I saw them open for VH off the FUCK tour and I've been a fan ever since. Dirt is their best cd. I would suggest buying their greatest hits cd and Dirt.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw 'em on the FUCK tour also, at Tacoma--security was so fuckin tight 10 years ago there, that I missed all but the last half of Man In The Box--then it was intermission before VH. Wonder if they have a boot of that show somewhere?

The only song changes I'd make on the box set
    would be to ditch the Again-remix, and put the original version of Over Now instead of the live unplugged one--the original is my favorite AIC tune.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alice in Chains is one of the best bands of all time. They're definitely better than Van Halen IMO because they wrote better songs.

The Facelift album is amazing. Almost every track on that record rocks hard. "Sea of Sorrow", "We Die Young", and "It Ain't like That" are all great tunes. Of course, the Dirt album, AIC, SAP and Jar of Flies are also great.

Amazing band - they definitely don't get enough credit. [img]smilies/thumb.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AxeSlinger84:
    Alice in Chains is one of the best bands of all time. They're definitely better than Van Halen IMO because they wrote better songs.

The Facelift album is amazing. Almost every track on that record rocks hard. "Sea of Sorrow", "We Die Young", and "It Ain't like That" are all great tunes. Of course, the Dirt album, AIC, SAP and Jar of Flies are also great.

Amazing band - they definitely don't get enough credit. [img]smilies/thumb.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AIC wrote better songs than VH ?? C'mon now. VH has a legacy, AIC does not. More people will remember Jump than Man In The Box. Remember VH will go down in the top 20 of all time greatest rock bands. As much as I like AIC, I doubt they'll crack the top 100. VH did some groundbreaking stuff whereas AIC was simply better than most of the crap that came out in the 90's. AIC is one of my favorite bands but in no way is Jerry Cantrell a better song writer than EVH.
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I forget where, but AIC did crack the Top 100, according to VH1.

AIC was 34th, I think, can't remember for sure, but VH was #7, and it steamed me & countless others that Nirvana was #6 because death helps, especially suicide.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AIC's music has so much more depth than anything Van Halen ever did. I'm sorry but if you can't see that a song like "Down in the Hole" is better than a song about partying (DLR) or love (Hagar), then I really don't know what to tell you. AIC attacked different lyrical perspectives and unlike VH, they rarely ever had bad words. Eddie was a better guitar player than Cantrell but Cantrell's songwriting is far superior IMO. Remember Cantrell also writes lyrics and sings.