Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

The battle of the Bass. Who ya think is the better thumper?

I love flea, but gotta hand it to Les. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

02.05.15 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Flea live last weekend (at Slane), and he was very good! but it's probably Les..

May I suggest another one...?
    Chris Squire vs. John Entwistle ..
    I think they're both great !

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Les, but I prefer Geddy Lee over both of them.
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Both are slightly off-kilter dudes, but Les' bass-slapping is something else.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

All the guys mentioned with the exception of Geddy Lee will be on the new Gov't Mule album (my other favorite band). Their Bass player passed away a year ago last Sunday so this is kind of a tribute to him. Read this, this is very interesting. The first volume of this CD will be released Oct.9th, the second will be released in spring of 2002. They were originally going to release this as a double CD but they had some trouble with hooking up with John Paul Jones but it's all good, he'll be on it.

If you haven't heard Gov't Mule, the best way to describe 'em is a mixture of Cream, Allman Brothers & a little bit of Black Sabbath. Basically heavy blues. They were a great trio but if they continue on, they'll probably expand the group to a 4 or 5 piece.
    Here's their website http://mule.net/

"The Deep End vol. I" featuring 8 new Warren Haynes songs and 13 of the world's greatest bass players will be released October 9th 2001.

"The Deep End vol. II" featuring 10 new Warren Haynes songs and 12 of the world's greatest bass players will be released Spring 2002.

Players who have signed on so far:

Les Claypool (Primus, Oysterhead)

Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead, Phil & Friends)

John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)

Flea (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)

Alphonso Johnson (Chuck Mangione Quartet, Weather Report, Santana, Bobby & the Midnights, Jazz is Dead, The Other Ones)

Francis "Rocco" Prestia (Tower of Power)

Jack Casady (Jefferson Airplane & Hot Tuna)

Chris Squire (Yes)

Mike Gordon (Phish)

Bootsy Collins (James Brown, George Clinton & P-Funk)

David Schools (Widespread Panic)

Chris Wood (Medeski, Martin & Wood)

Jack Bruce (Cream, West, Bruce & Laing, among others)

Tony Levin (King Crimson & Pete Gabriel)

Oteil Burbridge (Allman Brothers)

Billy Cox (Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys)

John Entwistle (The Who)

Roger Glover (Deep Purple)

Larry Graham (Sly & the Family Stone)

Mike Watt (Minutemen/Firehose)

George Porter Jr. (Funky Meters)

Willie Weeks (Aretha Franklin, George Harrison)

Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band)

Me'Shell NdegéOcello

Gov't Mule: The Deep End vol. I

Fool's Moon - featuring Jack Bruce on bass & vocals & Bernie Worrell on organ & clavinet

Life on the Outside - featuring Larry Graham on bass & vocals, Audley Freed on guitar & Eddie Harsch on organ & clavinet.

On The Banks of the Deep End - featuring Mike Gordon on bass & background vocals & Danny Louis on organ & wurlitzer.

Down & Out In NYC - featuring Flea on bass, Rob Barraco on organ & wurlitzer, Keith Barry on trumpet, Mike Uhler on tenor sax & Dan Weinstein on trombone

Effigy - featuring Mike Watt on bass & Jerry Cantrell on background vocals.

Maybe I'm a Leo - featuring Roger Glover on bass & Randall Bramblett on organ.

Same Price - featuring John Entwistle on bass & Page McConnell on organ & clavinet.

Soulshine - featuring Willy Weeks on bass Little Milton on guitar & vocals & Chuck Leavell on organ & wurlitzer.

Sco Mule - featuring Chris Wood on bass, John Scofield on guitar & Bernie Worrell on organ & clavinet.

Worried Down With the Blues - featuring Oteil Burbridge on bass, Derek Trucks on guitar & Gregg Allman on organ & vocals.

Beautifully Broken - featuring Stefan Lessard on bass & Danny Louis on wurlitzer & organ.

Tear Me Down - featuring Bootsy Collins on bass & vocals & Bernie Worrell on organ & mini moog.

Sin Is A Good Man's Brother - featuring Allen Woody on bass

Gov't Mule: The Deep End vol. II

Greasy Granny Gopher Gravy pt. 1 & 2 - Featuring Les Claypool on bass & vocals.

Lay of the Sunflower - Featuring Phil Lesh on bass, Rob Barraco on piano & David Grisman on mandolin.

What is Hip? - Featuring Rocco Prestia on bass & Johnny Neel on organ.

Babylon Turnpike - featuring Alphonso Johnson on bass & Johnny Neel on piano.

Slow Happy Boys - featuring Jack Casidy on bass, Peter Sears on piano & Chuck Leavell on organ.

Sundance - featuring Chris Squire on bass & Johnny Neel on organ.

Which Way Do We Run - featuring Dave Schools on bass & Danny Louis on wurlitzer.

World of Confusion - featuring Tony Levin on bass & Gary Lucas on guitar

Catfish Blues - featuring Billy Cox on bass & Bernie Worrell on organ.

Time to Confess - featuring George Porter Jr. on bass & Art Neville on organ.

Hammer & Nails - featuring Me'Shell NdegéOcello on bass & John Medeski on keys

In a recent Guitar World interview, this is what Warren Haynes had to say about the project:

GW: You are also touring this summer with Phil and Friends. Is all this activity going to hurt your ability to have the new Gov’t Mule album done by the fall?

HAYNES: No, no. That’s a big priority for me, and we’re really hoping to have it out by this fall. What it affected was how much we will tour with Gov’t Mule this summer, but it seemed like a good trade-off. we are going to be recording throughout May, before I got back on the road with the Allman Brothers and between Gov’t Mule date . We will be doing sessions with John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Bootsy Collins, Billy Cox and Me’Shell Ndegeocello.

GW: That’s quite a list. Who have you
    already recorded with?

HAYNES: Jack Bruce, Mike Gordon, Phil Lesh,
    Les Claypool, Jack Casady, Dave Schools, Oteil,
    Tony Levin, Rocco Prestia, Chris Wood, Alphonso Johnson and Chris Squire. Non bassist guests include Derek, Gregg, John Scofield, Johnny Neel, Jerry Cantrell, David Grisman and Bernie Worrell.

GW: That sounds great. It must be very
    gratifying to have so many great
    people from such different spheres all
    agree to work with you.

HAYNES: It’s a wonderful feeling. It’s amazing that everyone has said yes, but even better that they have all done amazing jobs. Once they get in tune with what we’re doing, it really starts clicking. Matt and I both really ecstatic about it and it just feel's like it was meant to be and that we’ve hopefully made the right decision about how to continue forward without Woody, which seemed impossible at first.

GW: Will you tour in support of the album?

HAYNES: Definitely. We are going to try and do a series of high profile shows with a few of the album guests at each one. Everyone we’ve worked with so far has agreed to do one or more show and ideally we would have three or four at each gig, which would be filmed and multi-tracked.

GW: There’s a wide range of musicians involved, but some are from bands that you’ve long admired, like Cream [Jack Bruce] the Jefferson Airplane [Jack Casady] and Yes [Chris Squire]. It must be a charge to work with those guys.

HAYNES: It’s been amazing. The original concept was to get Woody’s favorite bass players and they’ve all come aboard. And then we decided to include some contemporaries as well, people like Les Claypool who are also currently making music that we admire. My main mission is for each song to hold up compositionally. We’ve all heard records through the years that have these All-Star lineups and they don’t hold together, usually because there is not enough attention paid to the songwriting or preparation. People end up doing a lot of covers or poorly put together songs done on the fly in the studio, often because there’s not enough time to deal with it. I am really trying to avoid that. I want this to be like what the next Gov’t Mule CD would be if Woody were alive. There’s been a lot of thought put into the songwriting process and a whole lot of thought put into which song would be best for which bass player. In several cases we’ve also had original writing done with the guest musicians. It’s an exciting time for me. Somehow we’ve managed to turn something negative into something positive, and that’s the most you can ask for.

(Douglas) Allen Woody

1955 ~ 2000

[ August 30, 2001 at 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Rod Dangle ]
    M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

Oh by the way, Allen Woody was my favorite Bass player of all time but I do like Les better than Flea, but both are great players.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    M*U*L*E

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Oh come on, who has 1 favorite
    Favorite VH Song

D\'OH!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If anyone is interested: http://www.oysterhead.com/

Les is playing w/ Trey. I saw them at Red Rocks in July and it was a great show. Now hopefully I will score tickets for the Oct 30 & 31st show at The Fillmore (in Denver). Keep your fingers crossed.

Jennifer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bongski:
    If anyone is interested: http://www.oysterhead.com/

Les is playing w/ Trey. I saw them at Red Rocks in July and it was a great show. Now hopefully I will score tickets for the Oct 30 & 31st show at The Fillmore (in Denver). Keep your fingers crossed.

Jennifer
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just got a copy of a show back in April of last year with Les, Trey & Stewart Copeland (Police). I believe it was the first show they did together. Pretty cool stuff.

M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I'm more familiar with Flea's work than Claypool's, but I think they're both pretty funky. But the funkiest bass player in rock and roll these days is Mr. Adam Clayton.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Flea!
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Les Claypool . . .but I would take Billy Sheehan, Steve Harris, and Geddy Lee over both of them.