Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

On Friday night, the news broke. The Smashing Pumpkins' Internet following learned that the Pumpkins will play 3 more shows before officially disbanding in December. 2 of their 3 last shows EVER are going to be in Chicago (12 miles south of me.)

I was out running the sound board at a Jocelyn Enriqez concert until midnight on Friday night (yay for my job!) but when I got back, my sister Lindsey, who is a rabid, die-hard Smashing Pumpkins fan, had left an urgent message on my answering machine.

The tickets for the 2 shows were going to go on sale at noon on Saturday. The Nov. 29 show was going to be at United Center, which is where the Bulls play, with 24,000 seats. The Dec. 2 show (their last show ever) was going to be at this TINY club that I've been to a few times called Metro, which is where the Pumpkins got their start. Metro can only hold some 1000 people.

Lindsey had called me because the Pumpkins had decided NOT to sell tickets via the internet or phone. To get tickets for Metro, you had to go wait in line. We had no idea how many Metro tickets they were going to sell, but the line had started forming at midnight, right after I got back from work.

Because AOL Instant Messenger is cheaper than long distance, I got off the phone and got on AIM with Lindsey, and tried to tell her that if she thought I was going to wait in line for 12 hours, she was insane. She would have to try to get tickets online for the United Center show. Lindsey protested. I sort of wavered. But I was against going into the city alone at midnight and waiting for 12 hours in line.

Out of the blue, one of my new friends here at Northwestern, a quasi-VH fan named Matt, messaged me. I told him the situation with Lindsey and the Pumpkins tickets. He told me he had a friend who was interested in buying them too. Then and there I decided that I would go, but I would wait until 5:00 am to leave. I messaged Matt's friend, Robbie, and told him that at 5:00 am I would call him, and we would ride the El down and go and get in line for tickets. He said okay. So I told Lindsey that we'd go at 5 in the morning and that was my final offer.

Then some friends walked into my dorm room and said they were going to go get pancakes, did I want to come? (This was rather insane at 1:00 in the morning, but all I had had to eat was the backstage snackies I stole from Jocelyn and family, so I decided to go.) I quickly typed to Matt to meet me at the restaurant we were going to so we could discuss plans, and dashed away.

It was about 2:00 am and my friends and I had eaten and were just leaving when Matt and his friend Robbie, who is another die-hard Pumpkinhead, showed up. Robbie was with this girl Marissa who I later realized he had been having carnal knowledge with right when I instant messaged him. It must have been kinky, because both Robbie and Marissa were splattered with paint.

Anyway, Robbie and Matt and I were starting to feel like 5:00 was going to be too late. We thought that ASAP would be much better. We agreed to take showers, put on warm clothes, and call a taxi to take us down to wait in line at United Center. We did just that.

We arrived at about 2:30 or 3. We were in a parking lot with decent parking-lot lighting, and somewhere a boom box was playing Pumpkins songs. Security people had us roughly put in rows depending on who had arrived first, and Robbie counted that we were about the 440-450th persons in line. We huddled together to keep warm (it was below 50) and spread out my blanket and settled in.

...And so we spent the night this way. My group were about the last of the very early-comers, but I would estimate about 200 to 300 more people arrived and got in line behind us. One guy drove all the way up from St. Louis!

At 11:50 in the morning, they began to sell tickets. The line moved fast; there were 7 windows. After the first 250 to 300 people had gone through, they announced that the Metro tickets were sold out. (There had been a limit of 2 per person, so apparently they were only selling 500-600 tickets here, at most.) Some people got up and left. We stayed to get United Center tix.

The couple ahead of us had called Ticketmaster on their cell phone right at noon to get a pair of the United Center tickets. They told us that they got section 303. These were nosebleed seats in the back of the highest level. What the fuck? Then we realized that UC had reserved all the good seats to be sold right where we were, and they wouldn't be available on the Internet or phone.

In fact, we later found out that all the seats sold via Ticketmaster Internet/phone were SHITTY, and they were sold out by 12:25!

So, I consider myself VERY lucky that each of us were able to buy pairs of FLOOR tickets, section 4, rows 6, 8, and 10, for the show at United Center on November 29. Section 4 starts at about half-court of the basketball court, as far as I can see from the picture. This means that my sister is going to be only 50 or 60 feet from the stage. AWESOME seats for that kind of huge arena.

We also were incredibly lucky that we got in line when we did, because both shows sold out a couple hours after the tickets went on sale, both where we were in line and through Ticketmaster. Anybody who tried to buy tickets via the Internet or phone at noon on Saturday got stuck with really crappy seats, and some people couldn't get through at all.

My sister Lindsey's friend who is going to the show with her had bought tickets online in case we couldn't get any, but he got stuck with section 606. Lindsey told me how absolutely overjoyed he was when he found out that I had managed to get floor seats for the two of them. Robbie, also, was thrilled. Matt...well, Matt WAS only going to buy a ticket if the Metro ones had been available, but we MADE him buy two United Center ones because, after all, he sat in line all night. So, he is planning on selling his pair of tickets AT COST to the person who wants them the worst.

My sister's friend, also, is looking to sell his section 606 tickets, at cost. He's not going to screw anyone out of their money. You can go on Ebay right now and see that there are Pumpkins tickets up for bidding at $100-200+. He's not going to do that shit.

(I'm not going to go to the show because I know there's some Pumpkins fanatic out there who is a bigger fan than me and who tried to buy them yesterday and couldn't get through and wants them more than I do. I know this is crazy, considering that I waited in line for 10 hours to get tickets, but I'm not going.)

We are now in the process of finding someone who is the Pumpkins' #1 fan (preferably someone who actually waited in line with us and got turned down) to sell our 4 extra tickets to. Two of them are GREAT seats. Two of them are not great seats. I just really hope that they go to someone who really, really wants them. Maybe someone from another country who never got to see their favorite band live, or something.

Sorry for the novel-like post...I just wanted to share this story of a night well spent and tell about the extra tickets we have. Right now, you'd better believe that the Smashing Pumpkins message boards (which are a lot like these) are absolutely ON FIRE with people posting their ticket-purchasing experiences and which seats they got and how far they drove, etc. Their stories are a lot better than this one.

------------------
    http://maya.iuma.com <-- My Stuff
    http://www.vhvault.com/1989 <-- My Van Halen Page
    VHVault Tribute Radio Rocks Ass! So Listen Already!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hah.... the smashing pumpinks. Another poseur whiny 90's "I'm so sad I want to kill myself" trend riding band I'm happy to see GO. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

[This message has been edited by Spanish Doctor (edited October 22, 2000 at 08:41 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool story. It's funny how when your standing in line you kind of hate it but then when it's all over you realize that you'll never forget standing in line all night with your friends just fuckin around until the tickets go on sale.

------------------
    "Me and Jeff are going to go to the front gate and when you guys exit we're going to beat the fucking shit out of every barefoot person" Eddie Vedder (after fans were throwing their shoes on stage, hitting the band)

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Span Doc,

"Trend riding"??

You're full of shit!

------------------
    http://maya.iuma.com <-- My Stuff
    http://www.vhvault.com/1989 <-- My Van Halen Page

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Couldn't you have just called a ticket broker and avoided all that?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lead Synth:
    "Trend riding"??

You're full of shit!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm full of hearing Billy Corgan's whiny voice on the radio that is..

They fully embraced the sound of alterno-rock of the 90's and the "I'm so depressed" image...

... image that I can't stand.

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

the new ones...
    Last Online

06.01.16 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts

hey SD,

i've heard they're dissmissing because billy will front =vh=

i think they had good tunes over the years... just my opinion... btw, LS, you broke the world record for the longest post

------------------
    maybe i'm crazy,
    or just too high...

hey you... visit the fabio's van halen bootleg page

[This message has been edited by uncle ted (edited October 23, 2000 at 12:51 PM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow!

speaking of concerts.... im goin to see bon jovi in toronto on november 27th!
    yay!
    lol

------------------
    *Don't Stop Believin'!* - Steve Perry '81

http://surf.to/atomicpunk

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Pumpkins are just one of those bands that people just love to hate.

I am not a big fan, but I do own Siamese Dream and the "Double Cd".

I guess for a person tosay that the Pumpkins were "trend followers" have never really listened to their stuff. It's funny that Spanish Doctor mentions he's was tired of hearing the Smashing Pumpkins on the radio, when in retrospect, they aren't and weren't a "radio band." Except for a few tunes that found themselves onto Alt. Rock Stations and AOR Stations around the country, the Pumpkins didn't get a lot of airlplay, unlike a Creed, Metallica, Live or any solo DLR material.(yes that's a joke)

While I do find Corgan's vocals whinny, he uses it more as a instument to blend with a wall of guitars and textures.

I think Corgan had a lot more 1979's in him or another "Today" in his back pocket, but I think he opted not to repeat the past, but to create new music. He's a ture artist.

EVH also took this route with "3" and look where it got him. It's tough to do what you want to do and not to do what others telling you do.

There are a lot of similarites between VH and SP.

Both bands have a very unique sound. You knows it's Van Halen and you know it's Smashing Pumpkins when you hear a tune.

They both had a large influence on the sound of the upcoming generation of musicians.

The difference is is this.

The Pumpkins will end their career near the top of their career.

Van Halen on the other hand is considered to be "washed up" "rock dinosaurs" who are trying to earn a quick buck with a nostalgia tour and album. That is, if we ever see or hear from them again.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I guess you could say that the Pumpkins are ending things at the peak of their career, but I think a lot of the current hype is generated by the fact that they're going out with a bang this way. I think they really hit their peak in 1996.

Billy Corgan and James Iha happen to be big VH fans, by the way...

------------------
    http://maya.iuma.com &lt;-- My Stuff
    http://www.vhvault.com/1989 &lt;-- My Van Halen Page

crossing_over
    Smashing Pumpkins Sucks!!!!

Sorry but it is true...their only good song is "1979" or something like that ...sorry but i got to expres myself

------------------
    Crossing Over...

What is understood need not be discussed.

Everybody is lookin´ for somethin´; somethin´ to fill in the holes...? is Van Halen right???

Favorite VH Album

Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

09.26.16 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crossing_over:
    Smashing Pumpkins Sucks!!!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

remember people, attack to other users will not be tolerated...

yeah i don't like them too, but billy corgan is one of Edward's friends... maybe he will say something during those concerts... who knows????

------------------
    Not dead which eternal lie
    Stranger eons death may die
    H.P. Lovecraft

proud member of www.vhvault.com

Diamond Mafia - rispetta la famiglia!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I don't mind the Smashing Pumkins, although I haven't heard anything off of their latest album. Their first album is pretty boring in my opinion, but Siamese Dream is a great record. The first album of the double set is pretty good, though the second CD is weaker. And that box set they released of singles awhile back had some good tunes on it. Anytime I've seen any clips of them playing live, Billy has struck me as a terrible live singer, but that doesn't take anything away from their studio work.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Loons
    I'm more worried about Bubba goin' to see Jovi--somebody get this kid a doctor! And then he quotes Steve Perry...damn,youngblood is so lost these days...

Anyone want to start a collection fo Bub--pay him not to go see Jovi and damage his ears?

Anyhooz,cool story Lead Sinco De Mayo!!!!!!

I dig the Punkins cover of Godzilla by BOC

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry guys thas wasn´t my intension i don´t want attack to anybody...but I just don´t like SP...sorry again

------------------
    Crossing Over...

What is understood need not be discussed.

Everybody is lookin´ for somethin´; somethin´ to fill in the holes...? is Van Halen right???

Diamond Mafia