Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

JERRY CANTRELL: I Will Someday Collaborate With Other ALICE IN CHAINS Members - May 20, 2002

Former ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell spoke to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer last week about how the death of AIC frontman Layne Staley has affected him on the eve of the release of his sophomore solo effort, Degradation Trip, which is due through Roadrunner Records on June 18th.

"I think getting right back on the horse is the best thing I can do right now," Cantrell said in a phone interview from Big Bear Lake in California's San Bernardino Mountains, where he was hanging out and commiserating with ALICE IN CHAINS bassist Mike Inez.

"The shows I played between the time I got the word about Layne and Layne's funeral were very important to me in terms of being able to continue on. It's one of those things where if you take a break and allow things to settle in, it might be harder to get up again.

"If anything can be learned from losing somebody, it's that you become really appreciative of what you have left and who you have left. And you make sure that you keep those relationships intact and healthy."

Cantrell also spoke of the possibility of someday collaborating with his two surviving bandmates.

"It's probably going to happen. In fact, I'm sure it will," he said. "And I'm sure if Layne were still around, we would have gotten together someday. He was one of my favorite guys to play with."
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would LOVE to hear Jerry do all the vocals on a post Alice in Chains project with the rest of the AIC dudes.........I'd buy that "Alice in Chains" cd in a heartbeat.
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's an extended article on that piece...

Making music sees Cantrell through death and dark times

Friday, May 17, 2002

By GENE STOUT
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER POP MUSIC CRITIC

Despite the death of former bandmate Layne Staley just over a month ago, Alice in Chains singer and guitarist Jerry Cantrell never considered canceling his current solo tour with Nickelback.

The tour began Monday in Albuquerque and includes a show tonight at KeyArena, where Default opens at 7:30 p.m.

"I think getting right back on the horse is the best thing I can do right now," Cantrell said in a phone interview.

"The shows I played between the time I got the word about Layne and Layne's funeral were very important to me in terms of being able to continue on. It's one of those things where if you take a break and allow things to settle in, it might be harder to get up again."

Cantrell was calling from Big Bear Lake in California's San Bernardino Mountains, where he was hanging out and commiserating with Alice in Chains bassist Mike Inez. He described Big Bear as a safe retreat from the gloom and publicity surrounding Staley's drug-related death earlier this spring.

"If anything can be learned from losing somebody, it's that you become really appreciative of what you have left and who you have left. And you make sure that you keep those relationships intact and healthy," he said.

In recent days, Cantrell has spent a lot of time reconnecting with bandmates Inez and drummer Sean Kinney.

"We've always been that kind of group," he said. "It's another thing I'm thankful for with Alice. Everybody has always been there to pick each other up."

The tour coincides with the June 25 release of Cantrell's second solo album, "Degradation Trip" (Roadrunner Records). It's a raw, visceral collection of songs about life on the edge of sanity. He began writing songs soon after the release of his solo debut album, "Boggy Depot," in 1998.

"It's pretty brutal, isn't it?" Cantrell said with a laugh.

Brutal certainly would describe such songs as "Hellbound," "Spiderbite" and "Anger Rising," the album's first single -- featuring ex-Queensryche guitarist Chris DeGarmo. But there's also a sad, quiet beauty in such songs as "Angel Eyes" and "She Was My Girl."

The songs reflect a difficult period in Cantrell's life that included a falling out with his previous label that forced him to sell his Seattle-area home in order to finish recording "Degradation Trip" on his own terms. There is a lot of anger in the 14-song album.

"I just had a lot of life happen to me all at once," he said.

"It's things that happen to everybody at various times in your life. You have those transitions in your life where everything comes to a head at once. And it's kind of like you've got to blow everything out and clean off your entire plate and start over."

Cantrell's goal was to capture the grimness of that period in the recording studio. He practically locked himself away and went on a writing marathon, composing all the songs on his battered Gibson Les Paul guitar.

"I was in this incredible musical space, which was physically and personally pretty much hell. It was a very dark place. I wanted to capture that feeling," he said.

"I ended up learning from it and surviving it and doing great work. So I'm proud, real proud. It took what it took. And I think it shows in the record."

Cantrell, who grew up in Spanaway and sang in his high school choir, wrote and recorded so many songs that a follow-up album will be released next year.

"With the two records, it tells the complete story. It's a lot to get into, so that's why we decided to release two volumes," he said.

Joining Cantrell in the studio were Ozzy Osbourne alums Robert Trujillo and Mike Bordin. Backing him on tour are guitarist William Duvall, bassist Adam Stanger and drummer Bevan Davies -- all of Atlanta group Comes With the Fall -- and singer-guitarist Shawn Matthews.

Cantrell met the guys in Nickelback -- whose current hit, "How You Remind Me," reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart -- at a Roadrunner Records Christmas party. He was later asked to join the tour.

"They're a good bunch of guys and I think they've got a future ahead of them," Cantrell said.

Default -- whose current single, "Wasting My Time," also is doing well -- jumped on the Nickelback/Cantrell tour after Creed canceled its spring tour.

Cantrell may include a couple of Alice in Chains songs in his live set. He also has thought about someday collaborating with his two surviving bandmates.

"It's probably going to happen. In fact, I'm sure it will," he said. "And I'm sure if Layne were still around, we would have gotten together someday. He was one of my favorite guys to play with."
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Somebody should show VH/Starks this article!

Not surprising if Jerrry includes several AIC somgs in his set, since he sang lead, nor would it be surprising if the rest of the band pressed on and made more music together. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ May 20, 2002, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: NE169 ]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

SEATTLE — Roughly one month after the tragic death of his close friend and former bandmate Layne Staley, Alice in Chains' Jerry Cantrell returned to the town that made them both famous, and despite the feeling that a big hole existed where his former partner once stood, it was a rocking, if bittersweet, trip back in time.

With plenty of classic AIC material in tow, Cantrell took a sparse but enthusiastic audience at Key Arena on Friday back to the halcyon days of the early '90s — a time of lank hair, big angst and bigger guitars, before the Bizkit and its nŁ-metal counterparts were even a twinkle in Interscope's eye. With one original on hand (Cantrell), one hugely successful modern-day admirer (Nickelback) and one young upstart (Default), the evening's bill ran the entire G-word (that's grunge, folks) gamut — and even boasted the presence of one of the era's biggest icons, Soundgarden's Chris Cornell, laying low in the audience and sporting a newly bleached crop.

It wasn't strictly a night of sweatin' to the oldies, however; while Cantrell, in his mid-show spot, did haul out many of AIC's classic tracks, Canadian cohorts Nickelback brought their own 2002 Creed-bombastics-meet-Staind-confessionals metal-edged agenda (rather than, say, Soundgarden-bombastics-meet-Pearl-Jam-confessionals) to the now-standard grunge formula. Seeing both Cantrell and the headliners' lead singer Chad Kroeger in action, it's easy to see why the two became fast friends after meeting at a Christmas party last year; both emote and rock out in equal measure — feel-my-pain vocals and major guitar windmills within a single song are no oxymoron for either artist. Not surprisingly, Kroeger mentioned in a chat before the show that even today, there's bound to be a copy of an Alice in Chains record somewhere in the vicinity of the band wherever it may be, but now, as buddies and tour mates, Kroeger and Cantrell seem to have struck up a sort of mutual admiration society — one which the audience seemed eager to join.

After a short, raucous set from the Kroeger-produced Default, Cantrell took to the stage, with many holding their breath to see when and how Staley's passing would be addressed .They would have to wait till several songs in; after opening with "What the Hell Have I," from the 1993 soundtrack to "Last Action Hero," Cantrell segued into "We Die Young" from the Chains' 1990 debut album, Facelift. The projection over the stage wall of a large, gangrene-y looking severed hand, also missing a digit, seemed particularly morbid, especially given the rumors that Staley's heroin addiction had caused the loss of several of his fingers to that very disease, but it may not have had any actual significance to Cantrell.

Either way, he played one more short number, then turned to the audience and said, "I'd like to do something for a good friend of ours who's no longer with us," before breaking into the opening cords of "Down in a Hole." With its chorus, "Down in a hole, feeling so small/ Down in a hole, losin' my soul/ I'd like to fly/ But my wings have been so denied," lighters came out from the crowd and were swayed back and forth. Not yet finished, Cantrell then introduced his friends and fellow Seattleites Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart, who joined him on guitar and vocals for "one more for Mr. Layne," a song from the 1992 EP Sap called, appropriately, "Brother." After the Wilsons' departure, Cantrell shouted out, "OK, we saved the best for last; I need some loud motherf---ers in the house. Say Aah!" He then launched into "Them Bones," leading the crowd to shout the backing "Aah!"s during the choruses, before waving and bowing off the stage.

Down on the main floor, the maple-leaf flags began to wave, which could mean only one thing: time for Nickelback. The band obliged with major opening pyrotechnics for their first number, "Woke Up This Morning." After telling the audience how nice it was to be so close to home (the band hails from nearby Vancouver), Kroeger launched into pills-and-thrills nightmare "Hollywood" and the kickoff track from The State, "Breathe." An unexpected add of Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" rocked out like a bar-band cover would, while the ponderous "Leader of Men" brought a surge forward from the audience. After spraying the crowd down with water hoses, Kroeger asked if the room was ready for some "brand new Nickelback" before unleashing a number not unlike an angrier "How You Remind Me." Following the rage-filled tale of domestic abuse, "Never Again," Kroeger switched guitars yet again for the pounding "Where Do I Hide," hosed the crowd down once more, then threw out the sign of the beast and grabbed a hand-held video camera to tape the audience throwing it back.

Next, the group led the crowd in a chant of "Seattle f---ing rocks!" and introduced a second new song, a thwarted, explicit love-hate ballad. Speaking first of his and his brother's absentee dad, Kroeger then hit the pissed-off, mournful "Too Bad," and with one final pyro explosion, left the stage. But it ain't over till the skinny guy sings the Hit — and play it he did, in encore. First an acoustic, then ("Sh--, that was just practice!") a full electric version of "How You Remind Me," with fervent audience participation. One more three-gun pyro salute, and the song's line, "Those five words scream in my head/ Are we having fun yet?" seemed well and fully answered.

—Leah Greenblatt

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been hearing "Anger Rising" on the radio quite a bit lately, I dig it!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You gotta pick up this month's issue of "Rolling Stone" (the one with Cobain on the cover). It has a good write-up on Layne with comments from Sean Kinney and Mike McCready. There's also a good article on the battle between Courtney Love and Nirvana.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

RE: RollingStone's article

Man, grief is hitting me all over again. The article gives some insight of the last few years leading up to his death and what really was going on in his life.

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's just all very sad. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was a great issue of Rolling Stone. The write up on Layne was very sad. It really sucks that his mom and stepdad had to be the ones to bust down his door and find his body on the couch. I never heard the rumors that he had lost fingers to shooting up. The article said Layne would not see people for years and think it had been only a month or two.

Sublime, Blind Melon, AIC, Nirvana......the list goes on from the death toll to heroin. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ex-ALICE IN CHAINS Drummer Describes LAYNE STALEY's Final Days - May 21, 2002

Former ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell and drummer Sean Kinney hadn't spoken to late AIC frontman Layne Staley for at least two years prior to his death from a drug overdose, according to an article in the new issue of Rolling Stone.

"It got to a point where he'd kept himself so locked up, both physically and emotionally," Kinney told the magazine. "Even if you could get in his building, he wasn't going to open the door. You'd phone and he wouldn't answer. You couldn't just kick the door in and grab him, though there were so many times I thought about doing that. But if someone won't help themselves, what, really, can anyone else do?

"I kept trying to make contact," the drummer added. "Three times a week, like clockwork. I'd call him, but he'd never answer. Every time I was in the area, I was up in front of his place yelling for him."