Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dokken - Back For The Attack (1987)

And with Dokken's Back For The Attck I made the grand leap into the digital age, BFTA being the first CD I ever bought. I didn't own a CD player at the time but a knew a Dokken project produced by Neil Kernon - who had blown me away with his unique approach to Queensryche's Rage For Order - was an important metal offering.

BFTA wasn't a huge commercial success for Dokken, it's straight-ahead hard rock barracuda assault being shouldered aside by Mr. Lange's meticulously precise rendering of the Leppard. It's closest relative in energy and tone is Ratt's Out Of The Cellar, although the songs on BFTA are more anthemic than surly, with Donald D. singing his plaintive tales of love gone bitterly sour.

Ultimately though one really has no choice but to bow, step aside, and graciously hand the hard fought glory over to George Lynch. This is a guitar album, a magnificent showcase of his overflowing ten-finger talent. His blazing riffs and pinched harmonics shine with powerfully huge canyon echo brilliance. The band charges through verse and chorus on a righteous quest to display Lynch's rip 'n tear arpeggios. As I listen to BFTA I imagine Lynch bound in iron chains Samson-like in the corner of the recording studio only to suddenly break free and grab his axe and explode into a molten fretboard exclamation of emotional rejoice of his newfound liberty.

Highlights of BFTA include 'Night By Night' with hyperactive Dokken getting as close to basic AC/DC-style headbanging as they can.

'Mr. Scary' is Lynch's rebuttal to Joe Satriani's 'Surfing With The Alien' argument. And it is a cogent rebuttal indeed: 'Mr. Scary' is an uncompromising wildfire of overlapped, multitracked, harmonized guitar parts. It is frenetic, manic, melodic and scorching.

'So Many Tears' has an electrifying solo.

'Buring Like A Flame' is a great pop-metal love song with an understated (relatively speaking for this disc anyway) melodic Lynch solo.

'Lost Behind The Wall' is a mood rocker that builds in strength on its way to a 200 MPH guitar frenzy.

'Sleepless Night' is the highlight of BFTA. The guitar is wispy and feathery with Lynch's stroke sounding like a gunfighter fanning rapid-fire shots out of his Colt .45 revolver. This one is comfortable, relaxed, effortless and gloriously colossal. (Don later deployed a similar approach to his production of XYZ's 'Inside Out'.)
    ...what do you do when the bureaucracy that's supposed to help you...WANTS YOU DEAD? <a href="http://www.callumhouston.com" target="_blank">www.callumhouston.com</a>

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, they should have called the album Mr. Scary because it was Lynch's album. And don't forget Heaven Sent - another great song from BFTA. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I thought Under Lock N Key was a much better album....

Mr Scary is veryyy kool though!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The first cd i ever got wheni was 5yo. I love this album with mr. scary and dream warriers

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

I like BFTA, but "Under Lock and Key" is my favorite one from them in the '80's. It was more radio friendly too. My favorite Dokken album is actually "Erase the Slate" with Reb Beach. Beach rips on it and it still sounds like classic Dokken. "Dysfunctional" is my favorite Lynch album. It's such a diverse release for Dokken and it has a touch of Beatle-esque to it. Check those two CDs out as well. Dokken was a great band, but they are now on their fourth guitarist, Italian native Alex DeRosso. I hope the band can make steady music with him...I am glad that Norum quit the tour and most likely the band after his "broken arm" incident.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Went to see Monsters of Rock 1988 soley to see VH and Dokken. Dokken albums were listened to as much as VH between 1984-88. Amazing what seeing a band live can do to your perceptions. George on the stage as far away from Don as possible and Don throwing the mic stand 10 ft in the air only to drop it. Sad, dysfunctional band and show. Only recently have dug out Under Lock and Key and Tooth and Nail to burn the better songs.

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

BFTA is a good album, but Tooth and Nail has a much better sound (and better songs). Just my opinion.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by theodore templeman:
    Dokken - Back For The Attack (1987)

'Mr. Scary' is Lynch's rebuttal to Joe Satriani's 'Surfing With The Alien' argument. And it is a cogent rebuttal indeed: 'Mr. Scary' is an uncompromising wildfire of overlapped, multitracked, harmonized guitar parts. It is frenetic, manic, melodic and scorching.
    Actually, Scary came out before Surfing ('88).

But it still is a blistering tune! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Last Online

07.07.15 @ 04:02 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I always liked Lynch's intro on Kiss of Death!