Thread: KISS Box Set

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I finally bought the KISS box set last week, and just got around to listening the CD's now. I'm on disc 1, and the 3rd track, "Keep Me Waiting", which is a Wicked Lester demo, sounds a hell of a lot more recent than anything done by Wicked Lester back in '71.

If you listen to Paul's voice on the first KISS album, then you listen to this track, or ANY Wicked Lester track for that matter, there's a definite difference in his voice. His voice on the Wicked Lester track (1971) sounds like it did circa 1977. Makes me wonder what was re-recorded for this set. The Lester songs sound very polished.

The 4th track, a Wicked Lester version of "She", is very Jethro Tull influenced. And, I'm sorry to say this to any KISS fans here, the lead guitarist they had in Wicked Lester sounds better than Ace. This guy jams his ass off.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.24.06 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wasn't the Wicked Lester sessions an actual album in the making that was recorded in the studio, but got scrapped at the last minute when Gene and Paul decided that they wanted to form a new band?
    Could explain the higher than expected sound quality of the songs, just a guess though.

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't read the commentary book that came with the set, but like I said, Paul's vocals sound far different than what was featured on the first KISS album. It actually sounds like something that was recorded in '77/'78.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

Favorite VH Album

All 7 of them!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.30.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Vince G.:
    I finally bought the KISS box set last week, and just got around to listening the CD's now. I'm on disc 1, and the 3rd track, "Keep Me Waiting", which is a Wicked Lester demo, sounds a hell of a lot more recent than anything done by Wicked Lester back in '71.

If you listen to Paul's voice on the first KISS album, then you listen to this track, or ANY Wicked Lester track for that matter, there's a definite difference in his voice. His voice on the Wicked Lester track (1971) sounds like it did circa 1977. Makes me wonder what was re-recorded for this set. The Lester songs sound very polished.

The 4th track, a Wicked Lester version of "She", is very Jethro Tull influenced. And, I'm sorry to say this to any KISS fans here, the lead guitarist they had in Wicked Lester sounds better than Ace. This guy jams his ass off.
    I don't know if it was recorded in 77-78. Doesn't make any sense that it would be.

The production for Wicked Lester songs do sound better than the original production for the first few KISS albums.

But come on, Vince. The Wicked Lester version of "She" is cool but in no way does it compare to the KISS version featuring Ace's licks.

Sorry, I can't agree with ya there.
    EUAS

www.rotharmy.com

*VV*
    ole No.1
    The finest.

"The Showstoppa!!"

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know much about the box set.

Is it actually full of rare songs or is it mostly album tracks that everyone already has?
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ross:
    I don't know much about the box set.

Is it actually full of rare songs or is it mostly album tracks that everyone already has?
    To answer both of your questions, yes.

The Wicked Lester songs are actually very good material. Solid stuff and kick the shit out of anything that's out there today.

What I hate the most about box sets that are rleased today is that most of the material in them is about 30% actual "rare" stuff, while the rest are tunes you can find on any CD in that artist's catalog, and that you probably already own. Used to be when a box set was released, it actually contained 100% rare and unreleased material.

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

ya they actually recorded a full album! it was finished and ready to go but was never released.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Gene says that they were unable to get permission to put the demos with Ed and Alex Van Halen in the set. That would have been fooking cool. It sounds like they played most of the Simmons - Love Gun tracks and explains Ace's playing on those songs.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since when did Gene The Almighty ever need permission to do anything he wanted?

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It probably would have cost Gene-o some more cabbage then he wanted to let go of so he didn't do it.

Seriously though I really believe that Eddie wouldn't want that stuff on the market.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Vince G.:
    Since when did Gene The Almighty ever need permission to do anything he wanted?
    Lawyers, Vince...the bane of our existance.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300