Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Gabriel last night at the Fleetcenter in Boston and it was a depressing sight. There couldn't have been more than 5,000 in a 17,000 seat arena. You could literally pick any seat in any section to sit in. People were selling 6th row seats for $10 outside, no kidding. The show itself reflected the lack of energy in the arena and the new material kept the small audience seated for the whole performance. The visuals were a distraction. An all around downer of a show.

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

did his newest drummer stink up the old tunes?? I heard he is no match for manu!
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by chewbaccamonkeylunch:
    did his newest drummer stink up the old tunes?? I heard he is no match for manu!
    He is no Manu Katche. His playing was quiet, way down in the mix and there were a lot of pre-recorded techno beats. Not much played as far as old tunes, from what I remembered:

Red Rain
    Sledgehammer
    Solsbury Hill
    Secret World
    Digging in the Dirt
    Family Snapshot
    In Your Eyes
    Mercy Street

The rest was new album and a couple of unreleased tunes. If anyone decides to go, BUY TICKETS OUTSIDE THE VENUE BELOW FACE VALUE!! People were almost giving them away.

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sucks to hear about the half empty house....
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wow...What a stark contrast to the 'So' tour...PG had Oakland sold out for that one...

Unfortunately, the new record is nice for the hardcore PG fan, but isn't too accessible for anyone else...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Poor Pete.

Maybe he and Phil should get the rest of the boys together and have a go at Genesis again.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Maybe he and Phil should get the rest of the boys together and have a go at Genesis again.
    God I would love to see that. It'll never happen but I think it would be great mature progressive rock. Those guys are too used to being on their own now to submit to a "group mind" again.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Phil said (a while back) he wasn't against working with the people from Genesis again, he just felt that where they are in their careers now, they didn't need to call it Genesis. They should just put all of their respective names on it and go from there.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Genesis was cool....one of the first bands I ever grew to like. I even bought their greatest hits album a little while ago.
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I also bought the Genesis greatest hits for the new song, Carpet Crawlers 99. The song felt "pasted together" and I felt that there wasn't enough Steve Hacket there (always criminally underused in that band)
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I worked the Peter Gabriel show tonight at the San Diego Sports Arena. The setup was "in the round". With that, there were 14,500 seats available because then every seat in the house is open. At our brief we were told to expect no more than 5,000 guests, with *maybe* an extra 3,000 more showing up since they were doing everything possible to ensure the venue was as full as possible for the show.

Well, the show started and there were plenty of open seats. That, however, didn't deter him from putting on one hell of a show. I have never been a Peter Gabriel fan, but I have to say that tonight's performance left me really impressed. He only played 3 songs I knew; "Sledehammer", "Solsbury Hill", and "In Your Eyes". I was really hoping to hear this one song called "No More Apartheid" that he did for the "Artists Against Apartheid" album he participated in. He didn't play "Biko" either, another track from that same album. With the Tanzanian musicians he had up onstage tonight, it would've sounded just beautiful.

I noticed that in addition to the sequencers, backing tracks, and other vocal effects, he utilizes a lot of visuals in his show, thus actually making it a show and keeping you fixated on the stage. Lots of cool stuff tonight. I was positioned at the backstage access gate, so I was able to watch the entire show. I wasn't looking forward to working it, but I'm glad I did after all.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:55 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Surprising, I've always heard PG is very good in concert and he always has great players.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Pete's great!

It's a shame that great artists don't get the support that people with tired ass dancers and songs that they didn't write do

a great album he did is the music for the movie The Last Temptation of Christ [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Brett:
    Surprising, I've always heard PG is very good in concert and he always has great players.
    Well, I did leave out the fact that he had an amazing bass player that looked a hell of a lot like Bob Kulick, but wasn't. His drummer was great as well. He had a backup singer named "Melody" who had an awesome voice. All in all, it was about a 6 person backup band. All were indeed very talented. By "backing tracks", I meant that he had *his* vocals as added backing vocals for overdubbing purposes on backing tracks. I should've clarified it more, but I posted that at 1:00 am.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Vince G.:
    Well, I did leave out the fact that he had an amazing bass player that looked a hell of a lot like Bob Kulick, but wasn't. His drummer was great as well. He had a backup singer named "Melody" who had an awesome voice. All in all, it was about a 6 person backup band. All were indeed very talented. By "backing tracks", I meant that he had *his* vocals as added backing vocals for overdubbing purposes on backing tracks. I should've clarified it more, but I posted that at 1:00 am.
    His bass player is Tony Levin, one of the best in the business -- and incidentally, EVH used to say in interviews that Levin was his favorite bass player. Also, the backup singer is "Melanie," who is in fact Peter Gabriel's daughter.

I saw this show last night at Key Arena here in Seattle, and it was fantastic. I've always been a huge fan, but I've never seen Peter's live show before. The turnout was good but not great. The floor and the first section were full, but the upper section was closed off. He uses lots of props that keep the show interesting, and they don't distract from the music either. The musicians are all very talented. The crowd really got into the show. If you get a chance to see this show, I'd recommend it highly.

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]