Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Anyone have strong feelings here one way or the other? Pro or con? I find myself less and less impressed by complaint rock...I really dig the music, but I am very put off by the self-importance of artists like REM and U2...

As I commented in another thread, many performers love to "educate" the rest of us as to how we should think, what constitutes an outrage, etc...I think that's pretty damn easy when one lives in a huge mansion on a hill with a cook and driver...

It's too hot in California today...My brain must be sweaty!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If you analyze something hard enough it can seem inappropriate. For example, if Van Halen puts out a party rock type lyrical album next a person could argue that that's pathetic coming from a bunch of mid-40 year olds. At the same time, if they sing angry songs that could be seen as pathetic because they are a bunch of millionaires who (to Joe average) have nothing to complain about.

I guess as long as the person truly believes in what they are presenting, I don't have a major problem with it, as long as they aren't jumping on a particular cause or bandwagon because it's the "in" thing to do.

There's a Canadian singer who has been around for many years named Bruce Cockburn. When I was in high school he was in something of a political lyrical phase with songs like If I Had A Rocket Launcher and Call It Democracy. At the time, I laughed my ass off at the self-importance of these lame songs. But now I actually think they are quite cool.

Same with Bono; the Joshua Tree came out while I was in high school, and I just loathed those guys because I perceived them as being so self important. I didn't even give that album a true listen until long into the 90's. Now I think it's a great piece of art, as are Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby. Frankly, now I love to hear Bono interviewed. He seems like one of those rare people that seem to view the interview as an artform, and he seems like he's trying to make it interesting and unique, not being annoying with one word answers or cliches.

Right now I'm listening to Extreme III Sides To Every Story and I have just fallen in love with this album. While it rocks, it does have fairly deep (for rock and roll) lyrical overtones in a lot of the songs. Maybe it's just because it rocks, but I don't find it over bearing in the message department; it's there for me to take or leave.

Anyway, that's my take, whether it makes sense or not is another issue. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 05, 2001 at 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

You can take that lame ass Barbara Streisand and her annoying liberal agenda Lincoln bedroom sleepin ass as a perfect example of your point about how they think they can, and should (have the social responsibility [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ), push their all important opinion on the masses.

Did I ever mention that I think she looks like a parrot with tits?

I just have NOT had any tolerance for her the last few years.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Glenn, I remember that tune being on MTV...Wasn't the line,"If I had a rocket launcher, some son of a bitch would die!"

I remember thinking, "Damn, dude is pissed..."

I've always loved U2's music, but they were WAY lame when Bono vandalized the sculpture at the San Francisco free concert...I saw that as a total contradiction...

I guess I don't mind the belief in causes and singing about them...I just get riled at all the ANGER! It's not like Sting actually lives in a rainforest and eats bugs for dinner...So, tell me your story, Sting, but save the angry young man bit for someone who has something to be pissed about!
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're right on, SactoFan! Music to me is something to be enjoyed, not listen to someone else's problems/complaints.

I never cared much for "artists" like U2, Springsteen, REM, Peter Gabriel, Jackson Browne, White Lion (IMO woulda been a better band without the Greenpeace lyrics). [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img] WAAAHHHHHHH!

I always thought rock and roll was about having a good time (what happened to sex, drugs, and rrrock and rrrooollllll!!)

IMO, these "socially conscious" people try to force their message on us cause deep down, they're frustrated politicians! Go run for office if you really feel that way! (I know Bono can't run)

At least a food drive has a much more immediate impact, and helps thousands!!

[ July 06, 2001 at 09:38 AM: Message edited by: NE169 ]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really try not to blast any band even if I don't agree with their message...It blows me away that most of the music/entertainment world epidomizes Kurt Cobain. Granted, he had a new sound for a new age...He was also a manic depressant addicted to heroin and blew his head off with a shot gun. I hate most socially conscience bands but most of that stems back from the 60's and 70's movements with people like Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen even John Mellencamp who made their fame by writing of the times.
    I guess it really doesn't matter.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I look like I'm all alone in this issue. I hate angry music that doesn't have a point. They sing about stuff they don't care about. But I absolutely love bands that open up and sing about stuff that is important to them. It's so much more honest. Sure, music is supposed to have fun, but most "fun" bands don't have any points to a song, as in where some bands sing about something close to them or what is happening to them. The song is much better and here is so much more emotion involved. I believe tht Kurt Cobain is a genius and one of the most open songwriters of all time.

[ July 06, 2001 at 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Sleepless Nights ]
    "There's a time and place for everything- for everyone."

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SactoFan:
    Glenn, I remember that tune being on MTV...Wasn't the line,"If I had a rocket launcher, some son of a bitch would die!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, that's it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I guess I don't mind the belief in causes and singing about them...I just get riled at all the ANGER! It's not like Sting actually lives in a rainforest and eats bugs for dinner...So, tell me your story, Sting, but save the angry young man bit for someone who has something to be pissed about!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>An excellent point, but you and I are both big Springsteen fans. Take an album like Nebraska, Bruce's stark acoustic album that is so bleak and painful. Listen to a song like Mansion On the Hill; here's a guy who by 1982 was the one living in that mansion, so him singing about it is a touch odd. Or a song like Johnny 99; where is he tapping that anger from? I guess he's just using his place to tell a story, it's up to us if that story is disingenuous or fake. And it's up to us if we want to tap into that anger too, or to ignore it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow, i kinda agree with everyone, if that makes sense. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    if songwriters have an issue to sing about, fine. even if they don't live in a certain predicament, if they feel adamantly about something that makes them feel like they should say somthing about it, then i'm all for it. i'm a huge fan of U2.
    i've always been a fan of music with genuine emotion because it has that kind of edge. i think that's why i like me wise magic so much because the tone on that song is amazing, and the song has feeling. then again, i like the DLR era van halen, which is pretty much all about partying, and having a good time, and they make it work, too. i can't say that i have a preference one way or another, but as long as the feelings towards any lyrics aren't superficial, then chances are i'll probably like it.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Well, I'm a big U2 fan but I'm not a always a big fan of political lyrics. They do kind of annoy me when they get on what they perceive as America's troubles (aren't there enough problems in Ireland/Northern Ireland?), but I still love 'em. Guess it depends upon where a band comes from, too. I find it easier to stomach a bunch of kids from Ireland where people get bombed for their beliefs singing about the world's social ills than some kid who grew up in America's suburbia with all the advantages available to him.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I think this is a good topic. As a person who writes songs, I truly believe that whatever person is going to say needs to have a point. I think if a person is going to put the music out for people to hear they need to be responsible but what kind of message to communicating. I think this is especially true when playing heavy music. Music has the ability to elicit strong emotional responses and I think it's a golden opportunity for artists and musicians to be able to say something substantial about what they believe. What I don't like is all of these artists who figure that because they play heavy music they need to write angry lyrics to do nothing more than communicating negative, or aggressive emotions.

If you take a person like sting, or Peter Gabriel, they're trying to comment on global issues that they find important, same thing with U2. Of course at times these people can be accused of narcissism, but I'd rather listen to their message and think about what they're saying, rather than listing to a band that sings about sex drugs and rock-and-roll. Of course sometimes music is just meant to be fun, and when it is like that, that's when the artists can have some creative fun and just be a goof.
    [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium