Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

St. Anger is band’s first studio album in five years.

by Corey Moss

LOS ANGELES — James Hetfield remains well groomed, but fans of the pre-haircuts Metallica still have reason to celebrate.

St. Anger, the band's first studio album in five years, will return to the thrashing sound that

first put Metallica on the map.

"We've been a lot of different places musically over the last year and a half, and a couple of months ago, we sort of came back around to some heavy, aggressive, fast, dynamic, a lot of tempo changes, kind of sh--," drummer Lars Ulrich said Wednesday at the El Rey Theatre. He was there to announce the Summer Sanitarium Tour (see "Vacancies In Metallica, Bizkit So Far Filled Only With Jokes"). “And that felt really comfortable again. We hadn't done it for a while. Maybe we were keeping it at bay, whatever. All of a the sudden it was like that old pair of shoes you have in the closet that you haven't worn for a while, that felt really f---ing good to have on again.

"It's pretty aggressive and the people who like that side of us will not be disappointed, believe me," he added.

Metallica chose the title for the record, due out June 10, because it fit with the aggressive feeling surrounding the project.

"We sat down and looked at some song titles and some lyrics and [what stood out was] 'St. Anger,' which is one of the songs about the medallion of anger that you wear around your neck," Ulrich explained. "That seemed to fit the mood of the band, the mood of the record, the mood of the music."

After recording about 30 songs, Metallica are now finalizing what tracks will make the album. The first single has not yet been determined.

The Summer Sanitarium Tour with Metallica, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, the Deftones and Mudvayne will kick off July 4.

This report is from MTV News
    "I'm not as think as you drunk I am."

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whatever you say Lars [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] Fuckin' sellouttica...lets see how many videos they make for M"shit" TV this time around....Remember back in the day around Master of Puppets when Metallica was asked about music videos, and they Replied, "we just don't want to" or something like that. That is how I choose to remember them..
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Favorite VH Album

In the mood for OU812
    Favorite VH Song

"Mean Street"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 261 Times in 177 Posts

How many times do you hear this about a new album only to be severely disappointed?
    VAN HALEN
    7-7-15 Ridgefield, WA
    12-1-07 Portland, OR
    10-22-04 Seattle, WA
    10-19-04 Portland, OR
    8-13-04 Oakland, CA
    8-11-04 Sacramento, CA
    8-10-04 San Jose, CA
    8-7-04 Las Vegas, NV
    8-6-04 Las Vegas, NV
    7-10-98 Portland, OR
    9-15-95 Portland, OR
    8-18-93 Portland, OR

Sammy Hagar
    5-8-15 Lake Tahoe, NV
    5-2-08 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-30-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-29-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    10-13-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-12-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-9-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    7-10-99 Portland, OR
    8-15-97 Eugene, OR

David Lee Roth
    8-19-05 Eugene, OR
    6-28-03 Tacoma, WA
    6-17-03 Portland, OR
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    9-2-01 Seattle, WA

Chickenfoot
    6-3-12 Portland, OR

Favorite VH Album

1984, Balance, Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mike on SGMAD, Baluchetherium
    Last Online

02.12.07 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been waiting to see Metallica live for four years now, and now knowing that their going on tour with Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit, I am more than likely not going to see them. They really dissapointed me.
    I MEAN COME ON LIMP BIZKIT?, LINKIN PARK? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    How to make a “Mad Anthony”

2 oz Cabo Wabo® Tequila
    1 oz Spicy V8
    Juice from a fresh Lime
    A generous dollop of Mad Anthony’s Hot Sauce
    Combine in a shaker full of ice and shake it up
    Pour into shot glass garnished with
    a dab of salt
    a small slice of lime
    a slice of Serrano or Jalapeno chili pepper

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

JASON NEWSTED: New VOIVOD CD Is 'First Time I Get To Decide What People Hear From Me' - Feb. 10, 2003

Former METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted claims that he has no idea who his replacement in the group will be and he insists that he is no longer interested in returning to the band despite his previous statements to the contrary.

"I really am happy with [my new band] VOIVOD at this point," Newsted told PITRIFF.com last month. "It's a different feeling with this. They go, 'Dude, we really want you to have a bass solo on this record.' When the fuck did anybody ever ask me for that? NEVER, that's when! 'We think the bass should be louder with more distortion.' Huh? I like this, I like this band.

"[When METALLICA recorded '…And Justice For All'] I had no fucking choice [but to let them mix it with no bass coming through in the finished product]. It wasn't like they'd let me in to help mix it. So what the fuck, I was in between a rock and something else. It's not like I played shitty. I can tell you that much."

With regards to the possible identity of his replacement, Jason said, "I don't fuckin' know [who it's gonna be]. I heard that they are having auditions, but it's a very closed-lip thing. Not even the kids that I know and am friends with that work around [the METALLICA headquarters] are saying anything. They won't even tell me, and they tell me everything. They are really keeping a tight lid on it."

Newsted recently completed work on a new album with VOIVOD, the veteran Canadian metal act whose unique brand of techno-thrash had a huge influence on other groups in the late '80s/early '90s yet enjoyed only modest commercial success — a fact Jason is hoping will change with the upcoming effort.

"I think it's important that people know that [VOIVOD's upcoming self-titled CD] is the first heavy metal album from a recorded member of METALLICA — ever!" Newsted said. "It's seemingly obvious, but not a whole lot of people realize it. I think that statement is fucking huge. As a fan of metal, if I got to be outside of my body for awhile, I'd be like, 'What? The heavy guy in METALLICA put out a record? What the fuck?' They always wanted that shit from me. When 'Load' and 'Reload' came, they were like, 'Where's Jason's influence, man?' I was saying it to myself, too. Now is my chance for them to hear. This is my first time, dude, that I get to decide what people hear from me and the full production. I think this is the best bass I've ever played in my life. It's big. There's a lot to it. There's a lot of confidence there, and I feel very, very alive."

In a separate interview with Australia's Undercover News, Newsted spoke about why it took two years for the legal aspects of his split from METALLICA to be fully resolved.

"You talked earlier about how many records METALLICA sold," Newsted explained. "I read in a press release yesterday — because I don't count the shit — that they say 85 million. How many shops in Melbourne sell METALLICA t-shirts and/or CDs? And/or key-chain and/or bumper stickers or something? Then, how many magazines sell it. Then, how many Internet things sell it JUST in Melbourne? Now multiply that by how many cities there are and how the commerce in the chain for METALLICA works worldwide. Then there is all the domestic things. Then there were albums I was on and albums I wasn't on that I still helped sell through my playing over the years. What logos was I on? What logos wasn't I on? What shirt in Melbourne right now am I going to get a nickel from because I was involved with that record by some kind of bullshit? It is like this fucking tree with branches and leaves and goes on forever and ever. It may not be the Middle East peace talks because there a lot more people butting heads. There is a lot of lawyers in this thing but everybody is pretty peaceable. We also realize that we have to be business partners for the rest of our lives and that is something that we have to keep in consideration. We move on with what we want to do. Certainly if James, Kirk, Lars and Jason could have had anything to do with moving it faster we would have. But by the time legal things kick in from international region to international region it became freaking ridiculous, dude.

"We are talking about a thing that between 1990-2000 brought in about $40 million a year," he continued. "That's not what we get to take home. Don't get me fucking wrong on that. That is not what the band gets. That is what we earned through our playing and concerts and selling t-shirts and things. Now once you whittle that down between all those regions that sell the t-shirts and stickers and all that shit, then you get a little chunk over here. That's the real world. I am not trying to discourage anyone but there are 850 albums released every week in our country. That is crazy. But you still have to slug it out. METALLICA is in this place that is way out of this world".

"It is more positive than negative so please don't get me wrong on that either. There is a lot of things you must deal with. Whoever steps into METALLICA, if they actually go on hire a person and it is someone who goes on to be a member, their life will be the same in a lot of good ways but also in a lot of ways that they are not going to be able to predict yet. As far as demand on your time, get to the right place and do what is right for METALLICA. Those kind of things people don't see how much work and how much time it takes to keep it at that level."

On the subject of his state of mind following his exit from the group, Jason says the mental torture of the legal issues with METALLICA took their toll. "There were times that is certainly effected me emotionally," he said. "It affected my productivity day to day. Maybe a couple of weeks at a time there were certain levels of depression. It was like taking freaking half of your heart out and someone takes it and puts in the freezer for a while and half your brain too for that matter. It was an incredibly devastating thing. Think about whatever you like best, man. Whatever the thing you live for whether it be your wife or your child, whatever you value most that you would do anything for and then it is taken away from you. Even more so, you choose to walk away from it voluntarily. You have to step up and be big enough to walk away from the thing that keeps you alive. That kind of shit is something that can affect anybody. I don't care if you are made of steel, man. The release I had with my other bands was possibly the best medication and/or meditation and therapy that I ever had."

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

A big question I have now, is if Van Halen split with Warner Bros. as we've been told, could not the same type of legal negotiations be taking place between VH and WB over all of these types of things? I'm not very well versed in the history of Metallica, but surely VH has at least double the albums that Metallica has put out, and and maybe not quite as much as far as video/dvd type stuff, and probably comparable in the t-shirt/poster/etc. area. It is something to think about.

Everytime I think about Ed and the guys wanting to jam, but for some legal bullshit, they can't, I get sick. If they just flat out are taking a break, I can deal with that, and will be willing to listen when they are ready to play again. But if they can't play or move on because of a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo holding things up, I can't imagine how "fucked" they feel in the whole deal, no matter what the financial reward at the end of it all.

Thanks for the cool post, as it gave me something to think about for today.
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay about 9 or 10 months ago when i heard Metallica is coming out with a new album i thought,hell yeah im gonna see them on tour! then i hope theyre new album would return them to their roots,now i hear that is true and icouldnt wait....now theyre "proud" to announce theyre touring with Shit Bizkit and Linkin fart and more other bands i dont like seems to be the twist i least and never imagined.Okay theyre returning to their roots yet theyre touring with Duh-duh corporate rock bands?ahhhh
    The question is not, "Does love exist?"
    But when she leaves, where she goes?
    I got the feelin' she don't know either
    Wait like the wind, watch where she blows

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Originally posted by VanHalenMetallica:
    Okay about 9 or 10 months ago when i heard Metallica is coming out with a new album i thought,hell yeah im gonna see them on tour! then i hope theyre new album would return them to their roots,now i hear that is true and icouldnt wait....now theyre "proud" to announce theyre touring with Shit Bizkit and Linkin fart and more other bands i dont like seems to be the twist i least and never imagined.Okay theyre returning to their roots yet theyre touring with Duh-duh corporate rock bands?ahhhh
    This is how cool the eightes and early nineties were , back then these were some of the bands Metallica shared the bill with:
    Scorpions,Yngiwe,Ratt,Y&T,Ozzy,GnR,VH,Queensryche, Dokken,Soundgarden.Those were the good ole days my friends [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

51501984....Amen to that brother...I couldn't have said it beter myself [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Last Online

07.09.15 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

METALLICA BLOWS DICK!!!! Go sue some more of your fans you ASSHOLES. When their new album tanks, do you think they will research who bought their last album and then sue them for not buying the new album? There is nothing worse than millionaires bitching about pennies. A big thumbs down to Metallica, FOREVER.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

JASON NEWSTED: 'METALLICA Are A Joke!' - Feb. 12, 2003

Ex-METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted has slammed his former bandmates over their decision to tour this summer with LINKIN PARK and LIMP BIZKIT, calling the move "an obvious cash thing" and claiming that the group are "not staying true to their words."

"It's a joke, I think METALLICA are just a joke," Newsted told Britain's Rock Sound magazine in reference to the Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003, which kicks off on July 4. "I don't think they have any idea. I am fan of METALLICA again, I did my thing in there and felt good and I'm proud of that shit and I am more proud than sour. But that's the integrity down the fucking tube! Why can't they take out STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, why can't they take out IN FLAMES? What they are doing now is such an obvious cash thing and has nothing to do with the music that we're supposed to be fighting for.

"Kirk got quoted about their new record sounding like ENTOMBED. How can it sound like ENTOMBED, how? Who is playing bass to make it sound like ENTOMBED? James is a good bass player, but c'mon, dude! Lars — he hasn't practiced enough drums over the years — he let his art fall away from him, he doesn't have the same finesse as he used to have, so how is it going to sound like ENTOMBED and have that energy? And anyway if they are speaking like that how come they are not talking ENTOMBED out on tour? Or MESHUGGAH — how came they are not staying true to their words? That's what really bothers me."

Newsted's new band, VOIVOD, start their U.S. tour on April 10 and are set to visit Europe in June — but don't expect to see METALLICA and VOIVOD on the same bill.

"There is political shit going on, they are really against us being on the same bills," Newsted explained. "Wherever METALLICA is, you won't be seeing VOIVOD."

VOIVOD's new, self-titled album is due on March 4 through Newsted's Chophouse Records in association with Surfdog Records. Check out the album's first single, "We Carry On", at this location.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I thought the "sellout" routine agianst Metallica went out 80's. It seems not. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I dig Limp Bizkit, they do some pretty fucking heavy and raw stuff IMO. Metallica is putting out a new album, god forbid they should do that. Most people in this thread are ready to freakin hang them for it.

They changed with the times just like every other band including VH after Dave left when they got all processed and girly and shit. It happens to all bands over time. Metallica was way to huge to keep underground, it was only a matter of time.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ericgtr:
    I thought the "sellout" routine agianst Metallica went out 80's. It seems not. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I dig Limp Bizkit, they do some pretty fucking heavy and raw stuff IMO. Metallica is putting out a new album, god forbid they should do that. Most people in this thread are ready to freakin hang them for it.

They changed with the times just like every other band including VH after Dave left when they got all processed and girly and shit. It happens to all bands over time. Metallica was way to huge to keep underground, it was only a matter of time.
    GREAT POST Eric!!!! I grow tired of people in this forum ripping on Metallica (as well as other bands that people love to rip on here: Aerosmith and Kiss) at least these guys are putting out an album in June and WHO KNOWS? Maybe it WILL kick ass and be back more in sound with their roots!

Until ya hear it, how can you slam it???

That's bullshit!!!!

At least Metallica are still doing SOMETHING, which is more than I can say for a band from Pasadena California that love their fans so much they leave 'em in the dark for YEARS on end!!!

(Hey I still love VH, but I had to get that shot in)

BC
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:22 AM
    Liked 11,598 Times in 4,945 Posts

Metallica hasn't made a decent record in over 10 years, it's pretty easy to slam them I think, Napster issue or not.

Yes they keep putting out records, that's cool for the fans I guess, but it would be nice if they were good. "Load" and "Re-Load" suck hard, same boring 4/4 shit over and over again. Metallica playing with an orchestra? Oh good grief, how retarded. At least their old stuff was interesting and creative, their post-Black album stuff is so generic and predictable. I think it's easy to rip on them, because there's a lot to rip on. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!