Register
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 of them!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.30.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

IRON MAIDEN (w/ special guests Queensryche and Halford)

Roy Wilkens Auditorium, St. Paul, MN. Sunday, August 27th, 2000.

--------------------------------------

Well, got back from my trip over to Minnieapolis this past weekend to see the MIGHTY MAIDEN!! And, man, I was NOT disapointed. I'll start with the openers.

A friend of mine had bought the new 'Halford' CD 'Ressurection'. Now, I've always admired the old Priest and thought Rob Halford was one of the best frontmen out there (his strength is the voice). The CD blew me away!! So, I was excited to be able to hear Halford and his new band play live. He played about 4 new songs (which kicked ass!) and I think 5 classic Priest numbers. His band was very good. A great collection of young musicians. Halford's voice was great. This guy can hit a very high pitch like no other. The only thing is that he seemed either tired or not into it. He 'causually' walked around the stage like he just woke up or something. But, all in all, a good performance by the 'Metal God'.

Queensryche I never cared for, so I don't think I should pass judgement on them. I couldn't wait until they got off the stage to tell ya the truth.

Then finally, it was time for MAIDEN! The stage was not all that elaborate compared to their sets in the 80s (ie: World Slavery Tour Eddie Sphynx), but that was okay. I just wanted to hear the music. They opened up with three straight new songs ("Wicker Man", "Ghost of the Navigator" and "Brave New World") right off the bat. Bruce was a madman. Absolutely great. Steve Harris also kicked ass (as always!)with his great bass riffs. The new songs sounded great. Throughout their set, the background behind Nicko's drums changed. So, at the beginning, there was the 'Brave new World' cover. When they played "The Trooper", they had the famous pic of Eddie with his sword carrying a ripped British Flag through the plains of a war. Cool shit.

Eddie himself came out during "The Evil that Men Do". It was funny. Janick Gers was running around him, slapped him a few times on his face and stuff. It was great. But Janick himself was a bit of a goof. He at times was jumping around a little too much (no wonder he fell off the stage and injured himself a few months ago).

Maiden also played two songs from the Blaze Baily albums ("Sign of the Cross" and "The Clansman") Personally, I could do away with SOTC. That was the only song I didn't like. Though it was neat when Bruce came up behind the drum kit strapped to a crucifix. "The Clansman" on the other hand was great, I thought. A good song that Bruce made better when he sang it.

The encores were their classics (though no "Run to the Hills" which was somewhat strange).

The show overall was great. I loved it. Bruce did his usual thing. He pointed out to a few losers in the 'mosh pit' who were apparently making it difficult for others to enjoy the show. Bruce took a notice to this and threatened to kick some guys ass and not spoil the enjoyment of some others in the crowd. Bruce hates the whole 'mosh pit' thing. I think he's right. Do you come here to listen to the music or fuck around?? Anyhow, Bruce was cool.

The crowd was not a sellout. The Auditorium only holds up to 4500, I think. There were about 3500 there, which was okay, I guess.

But IRON MAIDEN put on a hell of a show.

If some of you haven't seen them yet, go out and see the show. You won't be dispointed.

UP THE IRONS!!!

------------------
    EUAS

Let's Get this Show on The Road!!!!

(VV)
    "the show-stoppa!!" Always at the right place in yo face.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Great review Vinnie!

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

"I may not be the best lookin' baby,
    But I'm the right tool for the job." - DLR 1998

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

By the way, I also never cared for mosh pits. I never got to see Bruce complain about them since the shows were at Molson Centre and the floor has seats. No mosh pits.

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

Favorite VH Album

All 7 of them!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, well this place had no floor seats but the so-called 'mosh pit'.

I think that guy who was causing problems in the pit was taken outside. Gee, I wouldn't want my ass kicked by Bruce, so its a good thing he was taken out.

Bruce rules!!

------------------
    EUAS

(VV)

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Check out my other thread - Nicko just admitted on the official site that the Blaze era songs - SOTC and Clansman - are not popular in the US dates. It's a shame as they are great songs but again I live in Metal-friendly Montreal so what do I know.

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

Favorite VH Album

All 7 of them!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, Nicko's right. They are not popular. Ask some of the US fans if they even bought X Factor or Virtual IX. Not many.

I really like "The Clansman" though. Bruce does make it sound even better. However, I don't care so much for SOTC. I suggest they replace that one with a classic like "Powerslave" or "The Clarvoyant".

------------------
    EUAS

(VV)

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet:
    I suggest they replace that one with a classic like "Powerslave" or "The Clarvoyant".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They played Powerslave last tour and it got EXCELLENT crowd reaction. As for Clairvoyant... fuck YEH!!

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've been listening to ALOT of Iron Maiden recently, and a couple of tunes I'd like to hear them do (not sure if they're doing them now) are

Where Eagles Dare
    Murders in the Rue Morgue
    Back In the Village

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Maiden this summer. It's wishful thinking, but I would have loved to hear "The Prisoner" off of Number of the Beast...

Also "Infinite Dreams" off of 7th Son. That song is too cool!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just saw the Mighty Maiden last night under the stars at the world famous Red Rocks Amphitheater in Colorado.

HOLY SHIT!

It was a perfect night, warm, beautiful sky, and what a performance. Bruce was a madman as VV stated above. I couldn't believe how much energy he pumped into the crowd, and at that climate!

Nicko is the baddest rhythm monger I've seen in a long time. His kit was truly MIGHTY! Every drum, and cymbal angled in like broken glass. I could barely see him behind it, and he did play every piece, even the gong for the encore.

I loved the set list, with the exception of the SOTC, which I find interesting considering Spanish Doc's thread on Nicko's diary. No "Can I Play...", "Clairvoyant", no "Powerslave"? Oh well, they seemed to hit all the others plus a few "hidden" favorites.

I agree with VV about Janick, he was a little uncharacteristic for such a legandary band. At one point I noticed his guitar was neither plugged in nor wireless. He still managed to rip some great solo's, as did all the guitarists.

Bruce gave a fantastic short speech about the persistance of Heavy Metal, citing Ozzy as it's pioneer.

Iron Maiden satisfied me to no end, I'll be jamming them for years to come. Thanks Spanish Doc for turning me on!

Now on to Rob Halford, what can I say? This man is a founding father, and there he was, sounding as powerful as ever! VV hit it on the head what he said about the new album. The Metal God truely returned to claim his position once more. Fucking Badass! And what a great band, despite the goofy longhaired guitarist. Rob Halford and Iron Maiden? You'd think I dreamed this up if you didn't see it for yourself.

Ryche, well, ever since they lost Chris, it's been different. They tailored their set to early metal rockers, which was smart. I'm glad they didn't try to pull out "Silent Lucidity" on that crowd.

UP THE IRONS! Maiden was superb!

------------------
    RLRR LRLL

[This message has been edited by paradiddle (edited August 31, 2000 at 11:31 AM).]

[This message has been edited by paradiddle (edited August 31, 2000 at 11:32 AM).]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I cannot believe they didn't sellout
    roy wilkens. Mnpls Is a pretty big music
    market. I know the show here In AZ Is not
    doing to well, they have all these promotions
    and free ticket giveaways, I hope they don't cancel because of low ticket sales, cause the place holds 20,000. Iam looking forward to the show. Amazing how they soldout the Garden
    In two hours and other areas like LA, the buzz Is not there.