Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/2...5/4166057s.htm

By Shizuo Kambayashi, APNickelback: Ryan Peake, Ryan
    USA TODAY

No wonder pop fans are singing the blues. Radio sounds like a broken record. CD prices are heading off the charts. Labels are out of tune with the digital age. New acts fail to strike a chord with listeners.

It's time to face the music. The $14 billion recording industry, struggling through its first sales slump in a decade, faces challenges on several fronts, not the least of which is a tarnished image in the eyes and ears of fans who feel ripped off by greedy, tone-deaf bean counters.

In 2001, album sales dropped 2.8% compared with 2000, the first dip since SoundScan began tracking sales in 1991.

The gap widened in this year's first quarter, when sales fell 8.3% from the same period in 2001, far steeper than the 1.2% drop from 2000 to 2001.

Eminem's return with his third album, The Eminem Show, generated some excitement, selling nearly 300,000 copies in its first two days in stores and, it is estimated, up to 1 million more this week.

But industry observers see few other sure bets in the near future. Even the once-robust current-hits CD franchise, Now That's What I Call Music, is slipping, presumably because of a declining inventory of radio smashes.

While the tsunamis of hip-hop, grunge, rap-rock and boy bands drove sales in the past decade, no strong trend is galvanizing the masses. Billboard's top 10, formerly an exclusive club for albums selling 100,000-plus copies a week, now accommodates acts selling half that.

Illicit downloading continues to chisel away at label profits, prompting lawsuits and generally ineffective countermeasures.

As for today's music offerings, well, fresh bands grow stale overnight while The Beatles continue to sell quite steadily. In this singles-minded era, fans forge only feeble bonds with momentary artists.

''Rock bands have hits, but nobody knows who they are,'' says Alan Light, a former Spin editor preparing to launch a music magazine.

''It's the Nickelback question. They have the most-played song in modern-rock radio history (How You Remind Me), and you can't pick them out of a police lineup. There's no story, and it's part of an enormous problem at the heart of the music industry. Artists are being prematurely dismissed or not signed in the first place.

''Part of me understands that,'' Light says. ''The obligation of a multimedia corporation is to generate money for stockholders, not to make the best records, and it's naive to pretend otherwise.''

A frenzy of mergers radically changed the recording industry from a diverse collection of scrappy and independent operations to a monolithic corporate machine dominated by the five ''majors'': Bertelsmann, Sony, EMI, Warner Bros. and Universal.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I feel rock music is at an all-time low. A bunch of undistinguishable bands playing a bunch of undistinguishable songs. Where HAVE all the good times gone?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Originally posted by billy007:
    I feel rock music is at an all-time low. A bunch of undistinguishable bands playing a bunch of undistinguishable songs. Where HAVE all the good times gone?
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's the same cookie-cutter mentality that makes most TV and movies unwatchable.

Pearl Jam becomes popular, so we get shitty knock-offs like Creed and others. (of course, Pearl Jam isn't all that hot anymore, but that's not the point)

And of course there is the long line of Tiffany/Debbie Gibson/Britney/etc. etc.

And don't even get me started on boy bands.

Music these days is marketed towards teenyboppers with disposal income and no attention spans.

The music industry reaps what it doth sew. There are some bright spots out there but not much else.

I remeber seeing Behind the Music on Black Sabbath awhile back. They had a short clip of a Top 10 radio chart from England. I shit you not, the top 10 had ALL of the following - Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Queen and Pink Floyd.

Man, those days are LOOOONG over. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i dont even understand like kids, teens, etc.. dont listen to rock. They say they dont like it, and i dont get why not!? i am probably the only one in my class that listens to rock/metal kind of music, and everyone makes fun.

how do you bring rock back to life to people in these years?
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kids are not interested in being individuals anymore, it's all about conformity if you ask me. But I gotta say it warms my heart when I go to a record store and see a teenager picking up a Led Zeppelin CD. The spirit will live on, even in the face of overwhelming mediocrity. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Diver Down NJ:
    Kids are not interested in being individuals anymore, it's all about conformity if you ask me. But I gotta say it warms my heart when I go to a record store and see a teenager picking up a Led Zeppelin CD. The spirit will live on, even in the face of overwhelming mediocrity. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    yes, yes, teens i guess like led zep. i love em'. who doesnt?

i decide to be apart from the people in my class and restricted myself to listening to pop/rap music. i must be the only kid that is obsessed with rock/metal music. i can't live without it!
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, modern music sucks, that is the problem with rigged radio stations. Can't hear whats good, you only hear what is paid to be heard.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

I don't know there may be hope for the kids still if my own kids are an indication... and their friends seem to be heading this way too.

My 3 oldest (11,12,14) gone from their playlists is pop (thank god!!!) no more Britney, N-suck, Bitch-boys, etc... they loaded up on Kid Rock, Limp-Dickit, Creed & Nickelback for the last year and now that is fading away... guess what is happening now...?

Yep they are raiding my CD collection!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] And calling it cool!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Pulled in the driveway the other night and low and behold Van Halen BOV 1 was blasting out their boom box in the street. Sitting next to it was old Black Sabbath, SRV, Older Metalica, Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson, Chris Duarte and gasp.... that old hippie music Jimi Hendrix!!!!

I say hey who's CD's are these? Oh those are yours Dad... Mom said it was ok if we listened to some.

I just smiled and went in the house... proud as can be!!! There is HOPE!!!

(Although I did tell em to stay outta my Hendrix box set and bootleg collection)
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's awesome man. Some music just stands the test of time. Wonder how many people will be listening to Britney 20 years from now? Or any of the many whiteboy guitar bands, like Matchbox 20, 3 Doors Down, etc.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 12:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I hear this, I must admit (contrary to previous posts) that a Dave/VH Reunion with awesome NEW music would be excellent. Even videos are not inventive anymore, despite the advances in technology. Daves talent in this area is sorely missed.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Hey folks, video killed the radio star. If you ain't pretty, you ain't on TV. If you ain't on TV, YOU ARE SCREWED (entertainmently speaking).

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

April 1981...That's when the dark times began...With the unleashing of MTV...

If there are any MTV apologists here, try this little exercise...In one minute, list EVERY classic rock record you can...Then, go back and figure out where they were released...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

Now would be the time to unleash the mighty Van Halen again!!!

Rock may be down but it's never out. The Phoenix shall rise again.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm by no means an MTV apologist, but I had this channel since day one. And there was actually a time when the M stood for Music. And you could actually see good videos and hear good music on the station. Remeber the original Headbangers' Ball (before it turned to shit), or it's predecessor, Heavy Metal Mania with Dee Snider?!?