Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

09.26.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 76 Posts

There is a thread in the guitarist forum (Petrucci, Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, Morse: fans). I answered to it, saying that it pisses me of to see a list of the best guitarists without Eddie on the top. Well, this is the answer I got:
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"I refuse to think of Eddie Van Halen as one of the current greats because he most simply isn't. He has horrible
    practice ethics, and they shine through in concert (I caught the 3 tour in New Jersey). He's becoming like Kirk
    Hammet in the sense that he's using a constant barrage of wah-wah to cover his sloppiness, although Hammet
    is actually more accurate of late. His ego is too big. He changed rock and roll in the late 70's and early 80'sm
    but sat on his but and let it all pass him by instead of continuing to innovate.

You're correct that it's not all about speed. It's about fresh, original ideas, and Ed doesn't seem to have too
    many to offer anymore. Vai keeps creating new stuff, one listen to The Ultra Zone will prove that. Satriani,
    although I grow tired of him sometimes, completely reinvented himself with his latest record. Petrucci and
    company just put out one of the greatest records of their career, and he continues to improve technically and
    creatively on his instrument. Steve Morse, while you're welcome to your opinion, happens to be one of the
    most creative (and technically sound) musicians on the planet. I caught the Dregs and SMB at the beginning of
    the month, and you will never witness a tighter musical act. I couldn't say close to the same for today's Van
    Halen, who seems to be spoiled by their arena rock status. They've lost the hunger, and until I see that
    they've gotten it back, my respect and time will be spent in other places."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to start a battle of the bands or fans, but I hope that some of you guitar-heads can show this poor guy the right way...

Here's the link: http://www.dreamtheater.net/msgboard/

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's REALLY simple---Eddie, unlike the other players on their list, has had COMMERCIAL SUCCESS in the MAINSTREAM!! None of the others have. They are predominantly instrumental guitarists, not songwriters in the classic sense. Since Eddie is not a part of the 'shred culture' he is disdained by those that are. And of well, who cares? If those guys at that board want to hold that 'underground hero' crap, let them, while we bask in the glory of the next VH release.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

09.26.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 76 Posts

It's a cool discussion going on over there...They even said that EVH isn't in the same league as Vai, Petrucci, Morse etc.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, interesting debate going on there.

If you go there and say that you don't like Petrucci, Vai or Morse, they will kill you. And I'm not kidding.

------------------
    "I still dream big thanx to Van Halen" -Eddie_Italian

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Do ya see what VH3 did to Ed's reputation? Ahhh well we can wait til the Roth comeback, then Ed will become America's favorite guitar hero once again.

------------------
    "Take it off, Take it off, Yeah!"

E.B.A.S

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.27.06 @ 08:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, not to stir shit, but what do you expect? I mean look at what almost everyone does hear when someone comes along and says eddie isn't the best, or he is nowhere near as good as we think. They usually get flamed pretty good. So how can you expect not to get the response you did when you go to a Dream Theater message board and say it isn't right that Eddie isn't at the top of their list. I mean come on. They have their opinions, and the listent to a different context of music then most do here at VH Links. They are not wrong for thinking the way they do at all. I will say I am a very big fan of Dream Theater and alot of simular music to them. I agree with some statements over there, but I also majorly disagree with many. I love Ed and all of his accomplishments, and I will never ever fail to mention him as my main influence. but you know what, Ed isn't that way for everyone. If someone feels that a John Petrucci or a Steve Morse is a better player, or more influencial, technically sound or whatever, they are right. If that is what they believe than they are right and there is nothing wrong with that. i hate to break it to people that Ed, while on the top of many lists, isn't on top of them all. He most certainly is the top of mine, but I don't care if he isn't on top of everyones. And in the end it is ok if he isn't, because what any one person believes true is true. If I think Ed is the best, he is. If I don't, then he is not.

------------------
    ...and on the seventh day, god created Eddie!

http://eternalhorizon.virtualave.net