Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back in the early/mid 90's when I was still in my teens and was learning guitar I remember reading in guitar magazines where Randy Rhoads detractors called him an "EVH clone." Back then I didn't have enough musical knowledge and my ear really wasn't developed enough to make an assessment as to whether or not I thought that was true. After I learned some music theory, was pretty proficient on my instrument etc. I could pick out where Rhoads had done what Eddie did 3 years earlier and where Rhoads had done something Eddie hadn't done yet (i.e. using harmonic minor scale.) It's seems as though there's two views as far as Rhoads goes... either he's an Eddie copycat or he's a metal guitar Godfather. Which one do you think he was?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NO WAY was Randy Rhoads an EVH Clone! They had 2 very differing styles in my opinion....His was more classical in nature and Ed's more blues based....
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I think they were different. I would not call Randy an "Eddie clone" because of their backgrounds, but he sure used many of Eddie's techniques and openly praised Eddie's style and influence. He was certainly influenced by Eddie in his RNR years.

I think the "EVH Clone" thing got stuck because not only was Randy using double hand tapping, harmonics, and whammy dives\squeals, but he was often written as one of the players that would regularly go to VH club gigs to try and learn Eddie's technique, which prompted the famous legend that Eddie would perform his solos with his back to the crowd for that reason.

Randy is my second favorite guitar player. Was he more innovative and influential than Eddie? I don't think he ever was but than no other guitar player was either. Certainly a great guitar player. I think the only thing that may have overshadowed his contributions and significance to the guitar was having Eddie break the scene at the same time and reinvent the style of guitar playing forever.

In closing, I think that a guitar player who was on the scene for only five to six years and still influences and fascinates guitar players twenty years after his death, has certainly left an unquestionable amount of accomplishment and awe in his work. He will be saluted in the guitar world for eternity!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Innovator definitely. He may have borrowed some of the techniques introduced by Eddie - but he was taking it in a completely different direction. The riffs, song structures and solos aren't anything like EVH (or anyone else) to my ears. I can't imagine Eddie writing something like Diary of a Madman.
    Delusions of eloquence

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Beyond that, although I am far from a historian on Randy, I know that he was really into classical/accoustic guitar, and working classical lines into metal.

Randy was an innovator, and growing up at the time he did, it would have been virtually impossible to not be influenced by Eddie. But Randy took things to a new level and in a new direction. He was educated in music theory, he had studied classical guitar and even received a Bachelor's degree in music.

He was an amazing man, and not unlike many innovators, was taken from us far too soon. Rest in peace, Randy... you are sorely missed. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
    <b><i>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />Darkness, imprisoning me.<br />All that I see: absolute horror.<br />I cannot live<br />I cannot die<br />Trapped in myself<br />Body my holding cell<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /></i></b>

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Randy was not an EVH cone, though similar he was very different and unique. He used some of Ed's stuff, but in different and new ways. Like everyone here says, different styles, classical, and blues based.
    I am awesome

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Randy Rhoads was brilliant.

In no way was he an "Ed clone". I remember Ed himself saying something to this effect about Randy, after he won Guitar Player Magazine's best new guitaist award. Sure, he used some of the techniques that Ed brought to the forefront, but he took these a step farther and developed his own VERY distinct style. His style wasn't as based on Blues as Ed's was, more classical. He definately paved the way for a lot of the neo-classical style players that came after him. I shudder to think of what he might have been capable of in the years that followed, if he were still with us.

Randy was a huge influence on me, moreso than Ed was, at the time. I remember the fateful day Randy died. Back while I was still in highschool, I had learned that our local radio station was going to be broadcasting a live Ozzy gig that Friday night, I got so excited! I rounded up my friends, so we could all party and listen to the live gig that Friday! Friday came. That afternoon, the report came over the radio that Randy had died in a plane crash. What a waste. I was so bummed out for long time after that [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img]

What might have been.
    God Bless you Randy.
    <i>"The great controversy will be ended, and the Mighty Van Halen shall reign forever. Amen."</i>

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Great topic! And excellent posts made by all. I't nice to finally read a fair and decent thread about my personal favorite guitarist of all time, Randy Rhoads!

So far, I agree with all points made... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I like Randy's work, I honestly don't think he would have stood the test of time. I think he lacked in the songwriting area, and with the wave of 'neoclassical' shredders in the mid 80's, his technique wouldn't have been up to par to keep up.

He was considering quitting Ozzy anyway to pursue a solo project, but at that time, nobody wanted to hear a guitar record from some 'metal guy'.

I truly don't think he would have amounted to much in the long run; his premature death contributed a LOT to his continued airplay and recognition. I'm not bashing him; as I said, I LIKED what he did, but I just don't think he would have lasted.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    While I like Randy's work, I honestly don't think he would have stood the test of time. I think he lacked in the songwriting area, and with the wave of 'neoclassical' shredders in the mid 80's, his technique wouldn't have been up to par to keep up.

He was considering quitting Ozzy anyway to pursue a solo project, but at that time, nobody wanted to hear a guitar record from some 'metal guy'.

I truly don't think he would have amounted to much in the long run; his premature death contributed a LOT to his continued airplay and recognition. I'm not bashing him; as I said, I LIKED what he did, but I just don't think he would have lasted.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    <i>"The great controversy will be ended, and the Mighty Van Halen shall reign forever. Amen."</i>

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I'LL WAIT:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now THERE'S a thoughtful reply. I disagree with your view and explain why, and all you give me is a set of rolling eyes. How respectful. Fuck off. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:

Now THERE'S a thoughtful reply. I disagree with your view and explain why, and all you give me is a set of rolling eyes. How respectful. Fuck off. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Imagine that, someone being so taken aback by an emoticon, that they feel the need to respond with "Fuck off". Nice.
    Glad you enjoyed the "thoughtful reply" imbecile, here's another.

I don't have as much extra time on my hands as you seem to have, to waste it responding to arses like yourself.

Bye bye then. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

P.S.

Leave it to you to spoil what WAS a very thoughtful thread about an amazing guitarist.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Spoil the thread? I don't think so. I responded in an appropriate fashion. YOUR stupid rolling eyes is what started this thread going downhill.

To the real topic, I liked Randy, but I don't think he was anything particularly special. His death, like so many others' deaths, has contributed a LOT to his stature in the guitar community. If THAT is 'spoiling' the thread, too fucking bad. Just because you disagree does not make it a bad post or a spoiled thread. If you want to start a 'let's worship Randy' thread, go ahead; I'll stay out of it, since I don't worship him.

And yeah, those 3.1 posts a day I make are REALLY indicative of my obsession with posting here. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

By the way, 'fuck off' is probably the only part of my post you could understand, so I'll repeat it: fuck off [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img].

[ August 10, 2001 at 04:28 PM: Message edited by: AbeVanHalen ]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I liked Randy a lot, but I don't think was a whole lot more then a shredder.

He was one of the few, along with Blackmore, that started the whole classical spin on playing.

I don't think he was much of a songwriter, so to me, while I enjoyed listening to his solos etc, and thought he was a great person, I don't think he was a God or anything like EVH is.

I do think his death did a lot for his popularity, just as Jimi's death put him on a pedestal I don't think he really desrerves to be on, but that's just me.

SRV, was one of the few that was truely taken before his time though.

Enough ranting
    My Band
    Baluchitherium