Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

So I've been REALLY getting into some cool SRV boots and the boxset recently. Now with a lot of bands, I kind of already know when they hit their stride. But with SRV, where was he when he died? I was listening a GREAT show from Denver in the early 80's today...a radio show for "96" (I'm assuming that was the promoting station at the time) and was extremely impressed with his energy and flare. It just really sucks to think that yet one more great talent was taken far too soon. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] He is definitely one of a kind...anyway, back to the topic at hand.

-How big was he in the mid to late 80's?

-Had he already gotten as big as he was going to get or was he about to go "orbital"?

-Where do you think he'd be today if he was still alive? I need some SRV efficianados out there to help out with this one. Muchas gracias.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Stevie was really just hitting his stride. He had overcome alcohol and substance abuse problems, was re-energized and refocused on his career. He had just completed a longtime goal, which was to record a cd with his brother. I believe he had another cd in the works... I also believe that we would have heard a lot more great music out of Stevie, in the form of collaborations with others as well as his own music. He certainly was a very special talent; his guitar playing was so full of fire and depth, and he always played like he would never play again. Unfortunately, that is just how it was to be...

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    So I've been REALLY getting into some cool SRV boots and the boxset recently. Now with a lot of bands, I kind of already know when they hit their stride. But with SRV, where was he when he died? I was listening a GREAT show from Denver in the early 80's today...a radio show for "96" (I'm assuming that was the promoting station at the time) and was extremely impressed with his energy and flare. It just really sucks to think that yet one more great talent was taken far too soon. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] He is definitely one of a kind...anyway, back to the topic at hand.

-How big was he in the mid to late 80's?

-Had he already gotten as big as he was going to get or was he about to go "orbital"?

-Where do you think he'd be today if he was still alive? I need some SRV efficianados out there to help out with this one. Muchas gracias.
    Like ya'll didn't know I would respond to this one. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

He was clearly on top when he passed no doubt about it. Obviously a huge loss for the music world the moment he died.

Down here he was already huge during the 80's. You could be listening to a rock/pop station at any given hour and you would hear a Stevie song. I mean literally you could have Prince one minute then Stevie the next.

Personally I didn't really understand what he was actually trying to say untill I started college. Then it all made sense to an idiot like me.

Yes he was about to go orbital. No question about it.

As for where would he be if he were still alive today? George Thurogood(sp) had a great line about Stevie. He said he was "OUR" version of Clapton.

I'll let kpl take it from here. He's may or may not have something to add. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I'll throw a nickle in where track left off on that Clapton note..

I think the similarities to Clapton are striking, as far as carreer progression goes.

Personally, I think stevie peaked when he was still climbing. He was livin the blues and it came out in his sould and music. The time period that he died, he was certainly on top and enjoying success, but I always felt that he left the blues just a tad and really started to expand into his own thing....much like clapton. At any rate, his last couple years werent the most exciting to me, musically, but I think he was really on the verge of finding his own niche, sound, music, self. It kills me to wonder what would have come next, five years later, ten... Right now he would have been gracefully excepting the throne from E.C. since he is leaning towards retiring, and he would have his own thing totally unique from any other blues made. I really think that.

At any rate, I think his pinnacle was about to hit, but unfortunetaly he hopped on the wrong helo. So, I'd say his texas flood era was probably his high point for me personally. Shit, muddy waters, albert king, howlin wolf and hendrix could only dream of playing blues like he did. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

09.23.12 @ 09:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I caught SRV 2x right before he died. He was definitely playing better than ever and was truly one of the best ever. I think he'll be remembered as strongly as people like Hendrix for his influence.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SRV was alot like EVH in that both of them had a completely recognizable sound and style right out of the box. In '78 there wasn't anything like Van Halen and in '83 there wasn't anything like Texas Flood. I would say his peak was either his early work or his live playing right before he died. Or both.
    Stevie's career was kind of like a roller coaster. On Texas Flood, he came out with all guns blazing. CSTW continued the trend. With Soul to Soul, he slipped a little as drugs and alcohol started to adversly affect him more. By Live Alive, he was out of control. Luckily, he realized it before it was too late and got help. In Step was a new beginning for him - he had to learn how to play and sing and write without the assistance of drugs and alcohol. His playing seemed a little less firey than before - not alot but a little. Family Style was odd in that it had some of his bluesiest playing but also some his most pop-ish/adult contemporary songs. But I saw him on his last 2 tours, and he was getting the fire back for sure. His career was definitely on an upswing and I would love to have heard what he did next.
    In my book there's EVH and SRV and then there's everybody else. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember hearing Clapton say that SRV was playing the best he had ever him play the last concert of his life. Kinda ironic...
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Keep the great post's comming people.

Cabo check your PM man.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

You know how celebrities' mystiques grow exponentially after they die? Most become far more talented and charismatic posthumously than they really were when they were alive. Not Stevie. He really WAS as good (if not better) as people say he was. Just watch (and listen) to his "Live at the El Mocambo" video from Toronto, 1983. If there are any SRV naysayers, they appearantly haven't seen that show...

To answer your questions:

- From my viewpoint, he was huge in the guitar world and the blues world, but only a mid-level artist in contemporary, mainstream rock circles.

- Would he have gotten any bigger? Not much. He certainly wouldn't have released any album that would have sold more than 1-1.5 million copies. I think because of his "hardcore" guitar style, he never would have broke through the early '90s alternative movement to appeal to a younger or broader audience. By 1990, he was already in his mid-thirties and pretty well established in his career.

- If he were alive today, he probably would be a legend in blues/classic rock circles and (perhaps) considered to be the greatest living guitarist since the late '60s (and outside of the hard rock/metal genre), IMHO. No joke.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Has anyone heard the new double CD they just released about 2 months ago? I think it's a couple live shows, but I forgot where it's from. It seems like "his people" or his label keep releasing all these concerts of his...not that I'm complaining.

I kinda feel like it's a bad move to make money at the expense of someone's passing. I don't know though. I'm always up to hear some new SRV! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

MEAN STREET
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there is no doubt that srv did not reach his full peak. if you listen to his last couple of albums you can here areas of music that he was probably going to explore in future albums. actually i read an article how he was getting into jazz guitar, which is evident in riviera paradise, the last track on in step. i think him an eddie both has a very disinct sound and style. definitely two of my favorite guitarists. i remember on the last van halen tour they stopped here in grand rapids, mi and they did a q & a with local radio station and the audience could ask any member a question. someone did ask eddie about srv and eddie said that he was awesome and they did occasionally hang out, he said that it was a huge loss for the music world.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    Has anyone heard the new double CD they just released about 2 months ago? I think it's a couple live shows, but I forgot where it's from. It seems like "his people" or his label keep releasing all these concerts of his...not that I'm complaining.

I kinda feel like it's a bad move to make money at the expense of someone's passing. I don't know though. I'm always up to hear some new SRV! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    The two-cd set is the Live at Montreux Jazz Festival release, with two shows, '83 when he was actually booed off the stage, and '85 when he came back on top of the world as a headliner. There is also supposed to be an accompanying DVD release later this year.

As for Stevie's "pinnacle", he had yet to reach it, but he was coming awfully close just before he died. After he straightened his life out, he used all the energy he'd been wasting on booze and drugs to fuel an even more creative passion for music than he'd had before. Hooking up with Reese Wynans really seemed to inspire him, too, those two were simply meant to play together, check out the second show on the Live in Austin, TX DVD as well as the second half of that show on the DVD inclued in the box set... simply INCREDIBLE performances! Stevie's last solo studio record, "In Step", was to most of his fans (myself included), his best record ever, with some of the most inspired, emotional and fiery playing ever committed to tape on tracks like "Wall of Denial", the autobiographical "Tightrope" and the hauntingly beautiful masterpiece "Riviera Paradise". Simply put, Stevie would be a living legend if he were alive today, and you can bet your bottom dollar he'd be one of the best selling and most universally popular artists on the planet.

SBS

[ April 26, 2002 at 08:45 AM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]</p>
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

This is a great CD. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] If you haven't heard it yet, you're really missing out.

M*U*L*E