Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Total bummer. They were one of my "guilty pleasures" when it came to bands. Here's the story:

Bee Gees' Maurice Gibb Dies at Age 53
    1 hour, 41 minutes ago

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. - Maurice Gibb, a member of the famed disco band the Bee Gees, died Sunday at a Miami Beach hospital, his family said. He was 53.

Gibb, who joined with his older brother and his twin to harmonize their way to becoming one of the best selling musical groups ever, suffered cardiac arrest before undergoing emergency surgery for a blocked intestine. He was admitted to Mount Sinai Medical Center Wednesday and underwent surgery Thursday.

"To our extended family friends and fans, with great sadness and sorrow we regretfully announce the passing of Maurice Gibb this morning," Gibb's family said in a statement. "His love, enthusiasm and energy for life remain an inspiration to all of us. We will all deeply miss him."

Gibb played bass and keyboard for the group, whose name is short for the Brothers Gibb.

The Bee Gees twins Maurice and Robin, and their older brother Barry have lived in South Florida since the late 1970s. Their younger brother, Andy, who had a successful solo career, died in 1988 at age 30 from a heart ailment.

Known for their close harmonies and original sound, the Bee Gees are members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and their 1977 contributions to the "Saturday Night Fever" album made it the best selling movie soundtrack ever with more than 40 million copies sold.

Among their disco hits on that album are "Stayin' Alive," "More Than a Woman" and "How Deep Is Your Love," and "Night Fever."

The group won seven Grammy Awards. The Bee Gees last album was in 2001, entitled "This Is Where I Came In."

The family emigrated from England to Australia in 1958, and the brothers soon gained fame as a teen pop group.

They returned to England in the 1960s, and their first four albums contained hits such as "1941 New York Mining Disaster," "To Love Somebody," and their first U.S. number one song, 1971's "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart."

The Bee Gees followed "Saturday Night Fever" with the 1978 album "Spirits Having Flown" which sold 20 million copies.

The brothers wrote and produced songs for Barbara Streisand, Diana Ross and Dionne Warwick in the 1980s. They also wrote the Kenny Rogers (news) and Dolly Parton (news) hit "Islands in the Stream."

The Bee Gees released three studio albums and went on a world tour in the 1990s. The live album from the tour "One Night Only," sold more than 1 million albums in the United States.

The Bee Gees run a music production company in Miami called Middle Ear Studios.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I have no problem admitting that I really dig the Bee Gee's and have been a fan since the 70's. This is a sad day indeed. They wrote a lot of great songs that have stood the test of time.

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    I have many fond memories of the Bee Gees music.

It was certainly a part of my youth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:06 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Words filtering through here that the Bee Gee's Maurice Gibb has died in the US. He had an operation to remove a bowel obstruction, and suffered a heart attack during that operation. He's been in and outta comas for a couple of days, and passed away a few hours ago.

I know the Bees Gees are hardly the average VH fans type of music (myself included!) but a 40 year career isnt anything to sneeze at (they first hit the spotlight as kids here in Australia)
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

The Saturday Night Fever soundtrack is very cool , I think a lot of people don`t realize how long the Bee Gees have been together . Rest in Peace Maurice .

[ January 12, 2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: 51501984 ]
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

This is a sad day indeed. Weather you like the BeeGee's or not you have to admit they have contributed a lot to the music scene.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

R.I.P. Maurice.

Thank you for the many of years of great music.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Remember that little girl from "Poltergeist"? She died of the same thing...

How does one develop an intestinal blockage? I'm not trying to be a smartass; I'm wondering exactly what it is, and how it happens. Does anyone here know?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Rokgtar:
    Remember that little girl from "Poltergeist"? She died of the same thing...

How does one develop an intestinal blockage? I'm not trying to be a smartass; I'm wondering exactly what it is, and how it happens. Does anyone here know?
    Heather O'Rourke (Polertgeist) actually died of intestinal stenosis which is a long term disease most commonly affecting children. Maurice had an accute intestinal blockage which sent him to the hospital in pain. Just prior to his surgery he had a heart attack, that combined with the surgery is what he was unable to pull out of. He had no long term symptoms.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

I'm vaguely familiar; when my son was 2 weeks old, he had surgery for pyloric stenosis; he was not processing food. Luckily, they took care of it in short order and he's been fine since.

When an adult develops a blockage, it is a restriction of some sort? A tumor? How can something like that cause a sudden emergency (and ensuing cardiac arrest)?

It's just hard to believe that someone who was apparently healthy would die from something like this...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by OLO:
    This is a sad day indeed. Weather you like the BeeGee's or not you have to admit they have contributed a lot to the music scene.
    Those guys have written so many hits for other people that most folks would be shocked to realize how long their reach was...even in the post-disco early 80's...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

he'll be missed.

I noticed they were playing Saturday Nite Fever alot this weekend on a couple of the movie channels.

RIP
    Eat Us and Smile!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Very sad. I never liked their music much but always found them to be very down to earth and centered for all of their success. In today's world of "Bling Bling" rappers who haven't had a tenth of the Bee Gees success it was refeshing.

R.I.P.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:06 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by 51501984:
    The Saturday Night Fever soundtrack is very cool , I think a lot of people don`t realize how long the Bee Gees have been together . Rest in Peace Maurice .
    There was a guy on radio today talking about how he first saw them at some kinda shindig here in Sydney in 1958! That would make Maurice about 9 at the time [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

[ January 13, 2003, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Goo ]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by ericgtr:
    I have no problem admitting that I really dig the Bee Gee's and have been a fan since the 70's. This is a sad day indeed. They wrote a lot of great songs that have stood the test of time.
    Right on. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Tunes that have and will stand the test of time. Rest in Peace Maurice... [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]