Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NEW YORK — Publishers got a sneak peek at Kurt Cobain's diaries this week, as Courtney Love and her reps made available two notebooks' worth of the late Nirvana frontman's personal journals.

Love had previously allowed author Charles R. Cross to use excerpts of the writings in his 2001 Cobain biography, "Heavier Than Heaven" (see "Cobain Book Shows Singer's Life 'Heavier' Than Most Imagined"). Though Cross had unprecedented access to Cobain's journals and letters, much more material remains — about 800 pages, one-tenth of which was shown to prospective publishers on Tuesday and Wednesday.

One publisher who took a look said the journal entries cover a wide range of material, including Cobain's review of an early Melvins gig in a supermarket parking lot, his beginning attempts to write songs such as "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and love letters to Love.

Some of the material overlapped with what Cross used in his book, such as the Melvins show review, in which Cobain writes about discovering punk rock: "They played faster than I ever imagine music could be played and with more energy than my Iron Maiden records could provide. This is what I was looking for."

"I'll admit being a big fan and having high expectations, but this exceeded them," said the publishing source, who asked not to be identified so that negotiations to procure the diary wouldn't be jeopardized. "As long as I've worked in the business and think I've seen it all, I've never seen anything like this. Unlike the biography, this was an unmediated look at one of the greatest minds of the 20th century. And the biographer had limited access. There were lists of his favorite albums, precise descriptions of what it was like to be an addict, heartbreaking letters. This will have long-lasting value, this will be a huge book."

The source said that in shopping the diaries, Love is very interested in how publishers will present, package and market the book, and has made it known that while she'll cooperate with some promotion, it will have to be limited — no standard promotional book tour.

Why the fuck does this have to revolve around this useless piece of trash?!?! I'm wondering how much of the best info was deleted by her! -FH

"It would make it seem wrong," he said. He estimated that the project would command a seven-figure deal once final bids are collected on Monday.

—Jennifer Vineyard
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Fucking slut still trying to cash in on Kurt like always..... worst part is that people like Charles Cross are actually buying into her shit. I used to think that guy was an intelligent journalist or something.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Who wants to listen to anything of a crack/heroin addict that hated life and sucked at playing guitar and sucked at vocals and sucked ugly ass in general? He commited suicide because he sucked! He didn't want any more tomorrow and he got it thru himself...what a pussy! He is in Hell and deserves it to the fullest and ugliest extent...Die on Kurt!!!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by BREW CREW:
    Who wants to listen to anything of a crack/heroin addict that hated life and sucked at playing guitar and sucked at vocals and sucked ugly ass in general? He commited suicide because he sucked! He didn't want any more tomorrow and he got it thru himself...what a pussy! He is in Hell and deserves it to the fullest and ugliest extent...Die on Kurt!!!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    Why don't you come out here and say that shit to the faces of people who actually knew the man, you pathetic fucking worthless piece of shit. They'll all line up right behind me to beat your cheese loving ass to a pulp.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

[img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Oh, what the hell:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by Guitar Shark:
    Oh, what the hell:

Nice, bro!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In Memory Of Kurt Cobain
    Kurt Cobain's private memoirs are going to be auctioned off for publication. The 800-page manuscript, organized by none other than Courtney Love, is to be looked at by some New York publishers and is expected to sell for several million dollars. Publishers were asked to sign confidentiality agreements before viewing the documents. The book based on these documents, called The Autobiography of Kurt Cobain, is expected by many to make a huge contribution to rock memorabilia. No word on when the memoirs will be auctioned off. According to The Times paper, the late Nirvana frontman's memoirs include writings about his desire to be famous, his heroin addiction and his frequent bouts of depression. The memoirs also include Kurt's suicide note, which was written in red ink to Courtney, prior to his death in 1994.
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's some more info to set your snooze alarm to..............

Avoiding what was expected to be an intense bidding war over Kurt Cobain's journals, a New York imprint snapped up the world publishing rights on Monday for a seven-figure sum.

Publishers who got an advance look at the diaries were told to submit their bids by 11 a.m. on Monday (see "Cobain Diaries Will Be 'Huge,' Says Publisher Who Got Sneak Peek"), but the auction was called off around 10 a.m. after a deal was struck with Riverhead Books, a division of Penguin Putnam.

"The journals are an intimate, unadulterated portrait of an artist of great influence," Riverhead's Julie Grau, who will be the project's editor, said in a statement released Tuesday (February 26). "They reveal Cobain's vision and design, they document his creative and personal struggles. They are insightful, provocative, moving, funny and show him to be very smart and very aware."

Though disappointed bidders surmised that Riverhead must have offered a rather large sum in order to close out the auction, Courtney Love's manager, Jim Barber, said the financial commitment wasn't the only consideration. He said he could not discuss the details of the terms, but he confirmed it was a seven-figure deal and denied reports that pegged the price at $4 million.

"There were several [publishers] who could have done a good job," Barber said. "Of the 11 publishers I met with, nine thought this was the most amazing thing they had ever seen, and two or three of those stepped up and saw what it could do. This is mostly about finding it a good home. Anyone who's involved in Kurt's career has to be excited and enthusiastic to work with him, to spread the word about his life and music. That's a big deal."

What was most important in making the decision, Barber said, was a sense of the publisher's understanding of the material — 23 notebooks' worth of Cobain's journal entries, drawings and letters totaling 800 pages.

Riverhead Books plans to publish the still-untitled work as a hardcover by October or November, Barber said. As for the book's promotion and marketing, which Love was said to be very concerned about, the details are still being worked out.

"What we do know is that we plan to publish with great care and great thought, which is what it deserves," said Riverhead spokesperson Marilyn Ducksworth.

Love will have limited promotional involvement, Barber said. "She might do an interview about the decision to publish it, but it's not her book. It's Kurt's book. I don't think her name should be mentioned in connection with it. The family, the estate made the decision. Courtney is part of that decision, but she's not the decision."

Proceeds from the book will go to Cobain's estate, which is controlled by Love as its executor.

Riverhead Books has previously published authors such as Nick Hornby ("High Fidelity"), Alex Garland ("The Beach") and the Dalai Lama.

—Jennifer Vineyard

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nap time!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I don't know why Cobain gets so much disrepect around here. To say you don't like him is one thing, but to say some of the things that get said about him because he killed himself, that's just wrong. I don't see people saying those things about Hendrix or Morrison or Bonham or Scott or some of the others who may not have officially committed suicide, but were responsible for their own deaths pretty much by their own destructive behaviours and addictions. I mean, say the guys music sucked if you want, but stuff like this - "He is in Hell and deserves it to the fullest and ugliest extent...Die on Kurt!!!!!" - has got to go!

In the meantime, while you wait for this all to be published, if you want to get inside the mind of a rockstar through his private thoughts, I suggest reading The Lost Sammy Tapes...

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

800 pages? Of what? Cooking up smack and writing crappy songs? Damn! It probably will be a best seller. Maybe even a Pulitzer.
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com