On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't watch any of those so called "music channels" much. But my friends and I did catch some of the beginning of a Def Leppard Behind The Music that was shown yesterday. I was told it has been out for a while but I never seen it before.

I sat there stunned as these guys where presented on the show as basically the band that made the 80's?!?!? They treat Def Leppard like if they are freakin' Led Zeppelin or something.
    VH-1 has a HUGE FREAKIN' BONER for Def Leppard! It's hilarious. Problem is the Leppard guys themselves are believing the hype. Joe Elliot, the lead singer, sat there all smug declaring that "Back in the early 80's no rock bands where pushing the envelope or innovating anything. We felt we good give rock a good kick in the ass." WHAT?!?!? Apparently Joe forgot Van Halen and others where kicking ass all over the fuckin place during that time and reinventing rock & guitar. Whata dick.
    The narrator of the show also claimed there was no rock on billboard or radio, stating that the early 80's was nothing more than new wave and punk while rock was basically dead? Is this some kind of generic bullshit they spew on every show or is this just Leppard exaggerating their importance? They even declared PYROMANIA(1983)as the album that set the blueprint for the 80's?
    Many bands, from Aerosmith to Kiss, are responsible for the 80's. But we all know the first 4 VH albums(78'-81') was a HUGE blueprint for many, including Leppard. And then the leppard boys where rambling about how bands copied THEIR sound? lol.... Oh brother.
    This is the band who spent their first 2 albums(80' & 81') sounding like a cheap AC/DC imitation. No surprise since their producer was high priced babysitter Mutt Lange, who was AC/DC's producer. Mutt shaped Leppard and co-wrote all their hits for them. Then by 83' the band had obviously taken a page from Van Halen. Their lead singer was doin the Diamond Dave leap off the drum riser! Man I was on the floor laughing but at the same time its very sad they have re-written history and lied to the public.

Gee, maybe if Alex Van Halen had lost an arm VH-1 woulda made a movie about VH???
    Def Lep was nothing more than an o.k. band with some cool tunes. Europe's answer to VH. Nothing more and nothing innovative. I never dug their sound on record. VH got that huge sound playing LIVE in the studio, no overdubbs. Leppard did it by recording all parts seperate and doing like 150 takes of every damn part while Mutt Lange controlled and co-wrote everything. VH was far superior and much more innovative.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Really has nothing to do with VH dude, Moving to Music MP
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by Axxman300:
    They've left out the whole "New Romantism" thing of the early 1980's (Adam Ant is the best know freak from this time), which had a huge impact on style all across the board from KISS to Prince and is the true source of what would become the look for "Big Hair Bands".

Maybe VH-1 is trying to justify waisting two hours on Def Lepard.
    The New Romantic thing started in the late 70's actually. Adam and the Ants, Soft Cell, EARLY Duran Duran, Roxy Music...I don't know how many of those bands or performers could be called the "true source" of the hair band look. I think Vince Neil would credit the New York Dolls before he credited the British pop guys for his look...Back in the early to mid-80's, the Dolls were getting the props for being the blueprint for the glam revival which the Crue kicked back into high gear with 'Theater of Pain'.

As far as Def Leppard's influence over the 80's...Looking back, they probably should get the "credit" for the direction rock took then. After "Pyromania", the 80's was the power pop decade...The guitar players all stole Ed's stuff...the stuff they could easily copy...but if you think about Pyromania...that record was FULL of radio staples. 'Hysteria' came in the middle of the decade with more pop and more ballads and everyone knows that record dominated the radio for almost 2 years...'Adrenalize' was more over the top than its two predecessors and was the beginning of the end for that type of arena style rock...Maybe the 80's was a DL decade...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:29 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

I don't know what role Def Leppard played in rock's revival, Pyromania was a big deal the time, but the statement about rock being (considered) dead at the time was fairly accurate. Some examples: Aerosmith was messed up and between 1980 and 1984 released only one original album - with two non-original band members - regarded by most as their worst album. KISS was tinkering with their sound and falling apart between '79 & '81, coming back strong in '82 with Creatures of the Night, but no one really paid much attention until a year later when the makeup came off. Van Halen, as much as we love them, their Women And Children First, Fair Warning and Diver Down albums weren't exactly radio staples at the time - 1984 (which came out after Pyromania) was their return to glory. AC/DC's follow ups to Back In Black weren't really getting a lot of play, either. Cheap Trick had squandered what they'd started with At Budokan and stalwarts like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd were either broken up or in disarray. The popular groups were groups like the Police, Blondie, The Clash, The Cars, Talking Heads, Duran Duran, B-52s and one-offs like The Vapors, Flock of Seagulls & Kajagoogoo that were all (correctly or not) considered punk or new wave. Hell, even Billy Joel went "new wave" (but "It's Still Billy Joel To Me"). The big "return to rock" with groups like Def Leppard, Van Halen & Motley Crue really didn't happen until '83 or '84, so maybe the Leps can lay credit to restarting it. But man, there was a period where if I never heard that album again I could survive all right!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 AM
    Liked 1,468 Times in 899 Posts

I never understand how Van Halen is or isn't portrayed in that segment. They did have something to give to rock and roll, yet aren't given the proper credit.

On the defense of Def Leppard, the Hysteria album really took them to great heights. Pyromania was the start of it but their next album had all the radio-friendly hits you could want. Their music was not only played on Rock N Roll stations but also the Top 40 stations as well. Plus, anytime a rock band is loved by the ladies, then you know they will be huge. I personally loved Pyromania and thought Hysteria was okay. After the album was out a year, I couldn't stand it anymore. It was way overplayed.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pyromania (1983) was the first "Hard Rock" album that I ever bought. That album RULED the air waves like an Iron fist. It came out the year BEFORE Van Halen's 1984, and picked up where Van Halen I left off. If you think about it, Van Halen II, WACF, Fair Warning, and Diver Down were actually not as big as Van Halen I (not a knock, just fact). Pyromania came out and all hell broke loose (similar to VH's first release). It became the biggest selling hard rock album of all time. The mania (remember those Union Jack muscle shirts?) was crazy, and I'd have to say that it rivaled Van Halen I's release. In 1986, Bon Jovi released "Slippery When Wet", and that picked up where Pyromania left off (even though that one was definitely a "girls" album), eventually topping Pyromania in sales to become the biggest seller ever. Now, 1987 rolls along, and guess what? Hysteria is released. It started off slowly, picked up steam, and then POW!, all hell broke loose once again. They had like 7 radio friendly songs, sold so many albums it toppled that Bon Jovi album like a building about to be demolished, and became the biggest selling rock record of all time. Yes, Def Leppard was a big deal and should not be ragged on. As for Mutt Lange producing it, well, if you could get the best in the business then that's more power to ya. Van Halen went on to release 1984 (you all know how that went ), and recaptured the magic that was on the first album. There was room for both of those bands in the 80's, and I'm glad I was there to enjoy it.

[ December 27, 2002, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Hissing Cobra ]

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with much of what was said above. Other than a few bands (VH in particular), rock was in hibernation from the late 70s to the early 80s. Then came Def Leppard and Motley Crue and later Bon Jovi and suddenly girls liked all the cute rock bands too and it exploded (and then eventually imploded).
    But keep in mind, 99% of the time those BTMs coincide with a new album release. The show provides programming for VH1 and promotion for the band - it's a win/win situation. So VH1 pumps up Def Leppard, their CD sales increase, and VH1 can go to the next band and say "if you help us do a show about your band, you'll sell more CDs." They had people lining up to do those shows . . . except for Van Halen, of course.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.24.06 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with what you guys are saying; Def Leppard definately deserve respect for accomplishing what they did with Pyromania, however I think after that they really just recreated the formula for each ensuing CD.
    A lot of bands do this when they've finally hit paydirt; and I'm not really saying anything's wrong with it, but from a fans standpoint the music kind of gets stale and you can tell that the band's just looking for another hit.
    Mutt Lange made Def Leppard; his production and influence on the band pushed them into being something they probably hadn't thought they could be, whether you feel that's good or bad is another story entirely.
    Do Def Leppard deserve all the attention they've gotten? Sure they do; but as you guys have also stated, VH1 (as well as MTV) has greatly overlooked VH in the fact that they helped bring hard rock roaring back in the early to mid 80's. 1984 was a huge record, but by the time it came out the music scene was starting to become the playground for all the hair band up-and-commers. I think VH took a backseat to that scene, and in doing so lost a lot of respect that was due to them.
    Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by lonewolf66:
    I agree with what you guys are saying; Def Leppard definately deserve respect for accomplishing what they did with Pyromania, however I think after that they really just recreated the formula for each ensuing CD.
    A lot of bands do this when they've finally hit paydirt; and I'm not really saying anything's wrong with it, but from a fans standpoint the music kind of gets stale and you can tell that the band's just looking for another hit.
    So they try to break the mold and stretch out with 'Slang' and the fans who tire of the same sounding records REJECT a slightly newer sound...Gee, that sounds familiar...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

One thing DL has over VH when it comes to VH1 is DL is still an active band. Music channels are all about promoting a target area of music which gets them income in the form of cross promotion as well as ratings. You don't get much pushing a band that isn't doing anything and has just about tapped out their potential future sales without any new music to open up a new fanbase.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I remember when Pyromania came out. I will never deny it was huge. A big reason being of course thanks to MTV.
    But again, Mutt Lange co-wrote EVERYTHING. So right there I will never hold Def Lep up with VH.
    VH NEVER needed some producer to shape them or write their stuff. MUtt shaped the Leppard sound. Def Leppard did not become a force till Mutt came onboard and till they got on MTV.

Come on guys- a band with a huge rock sound that combined metal, rock, pop, big vocals & harmonies and high energy? A band that rocked hard enough for dudes but that drew many chicks in as well? With a lead singer doin flying splits off the drum riser? Doesnt that sound familiar?
    VH did all that and did it first. Those 4 albums from 1978-1981, THAT is what was a blueprint for the 80's.

Hell, from 78-85' we know VH where arguably the biggest thing around. Cheap Trick had it going on too. Leppard did not invent that huge rock sound. For them to state rock was dead and no one was pushing the envelope if a flat out lie.
    Van Halen had reinvented rock & guitar at the time. And does anyone not remember Ozzy & Randy Rhoads?!?! The 2 albums Ozzy did with Randy in 80' & 81' where HUGE. How bout Motorhead's ACE OF SPADES and AC/DC's BACK IN BLACK, both released in 1980. Plus Maiden's NUMBER OF THE BEAST, Priest's SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE, both released in 1982.
    I dont need to hear how rock was dead when all those men where kicking much ass.
    Leppard to me was quite watered down and way too sterile sounding. Some of the tunes are o.k. but it was so clear to me, then and now, just who they where trying to be like. Seems it's always the bands from overseas who steal our shit and then get all the glory.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recall Pyromania being a big fucking deal when it came out. It was big because chicks liked it. Before that, hard rock was 95% dudes. In 1982 I saw Sabbath and Nugent and a bunch of hard rockers and there were few chicks there. When I'd go see Journey durring the same time they packed the place with women.

Chicks dug Def Lepard.

Now, I hated them for it as did all my male friends. To us they were just a pretty-boy version of ACDC but eventually most of us gave in and bought the damn album and learned to like it.

What pisses me off is that "Hysteria" was a better album. VH-1 is over simplifying things by making Def Lepard seem so pivotal. There was so much going on in music then and things were changing so fast, even before MTV. (Not everyone could get MTV because most cable companies didn't have it yet) They've left out the whole "New Romantism" thing of the early 1980's (Adam Ant is the best know freak from this time), which had a huge impact on style all across the board from KISS to Prince and is the true source of what would become the look for "Big Hair Bands".

Maybe VH-1 is trying to justify waisting two hours on Def Lepard.

[ December 27, 2002, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Axxman300 ]
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

ya man! ozzy and randy were just starting to break when randy died.

if he didnt, they would have been the next huge thing for sure. RIP randy!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who cares if Mutt co-wrote everything? That doesn't mean he came up with the ideas, does it? For all we know, the band came in to record and had a lot of rough versions of the songs, and Mutt helped to mold them. That would get him co writing credits. As for Cheap Trick, well, they rocked out for a couple of years and then faded away. Motorhead was never a factor here in the states, Iron Maiden rarely got played on the radio, AC/DC's albums weren't exactly following up to "Back in Black" standards, Priest was on the rise, Aerosmith were on the decline, and Ozzy was reeling from Randy's death. Def Leppard had a new SOUND, and America was ready for the crunching guitars mixed with pop hooks. I'm not bashing any of the aforementioned bands, as we all know they were good enough to make it to the big leagues. What I'm saying is Def Leppard EXPLODED on America, and you can't deny that fact. That is why VH1 and MTV fondly remember their very existance. The good thing is this: Van Halen was able to sustain their careers during this period, and weather the storm without compromising their music. They didn't jump on the "hair band" explosion. For that I'm grateful, because they kept their integrity without copying that style to stay current.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Who cares?!?!? I do. And so would anyone else interested in telling the difference between a real innovative rock band and a band of pretty boy rockers with someone behind a curtain pushing all the buttons.

That is the 64,000 dollar Pyramid question- Just how much did Mutt contribute? Quite a bit actually. He controlled everything. He co-wrote EVERY DAMN HIT THEY EVER HAD. He is on the credits for EVERYTHING.
    His work with AC/DC was cool cuz he just PRODUCED them. And it was his first time producing a rock band. He never wrote ANY of the music or any of the lyrics for AC/DC. In fact, Angus had to put ole' Mutt in his place several times cuz Mutt tried to take over and control things excessively.
    Rock was not dead in the early 80's and there where bands like VH pushing the envelope so I dont know what that dickhead from Leppard is talking about. All those bands like VH, Priest, Ozzy, AC/DC & Maiden where out at the time so rock was pretty damn healthy. Plus Motley and Metallica where about to hit the scene.
    I just dont like the perception that Leppard invented everything. I aint saying VH did, but certainly VH had that huge rock sound under their belt WAY before Leppard did. They reinvented rock & guitar.
    I would never compare PYROMANIA to VAN HALEN 1. Pyromania was Leppard's 3rd album and again, it was HIGHLY aided by Mutt and MTV. It took like a damn year to record and every part was pieced together seperately.
    Van Halen 1 was a debut album that changed EVERYTHING overnite, from the rock scene to the language & possibilities of guitar. It was recorded in like 2 weeks and captures a band playing LIVE. How rock is suppose to be played.

No comparison really. The only thing they have in common is that both albums sold over 10 Million copies in the U.S... That is it.
    VH influenced Leppard, not the other way around.
    That is a fact.