Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Besides the obvious choice, who should/could put out a great box set? Who already HAS a great box set out there? To me, a box set should include the majority of your "hits" but also should delve into some of your killer classics that the hardcores would get off on. Of course, you should also put out at least one entire CD of remastered, UNRELEASED material, in my idea of the PERFECT box set.

1. Who could/should...? I guess I'll give the nod to Kiss, as long as they adhere to the above stipulation and include some unreleased tracks. Greate$t Hit$ Pt. 4 will NOT cut it! I'd like to see a box set of the ultimate Stevie Ray, too. He's GOT to have some incredible sessions still in vaults somewhere.

2. Who already has...? I'm really in foreign territory here and I'll probably defer to Glenn, but I think I'd say either Zep or Aerosmith. The Bad Co Anthology is pretty good, too.

------------------
    "Who's feelin...SEX-AAYY?"
    -David Lee Roth, Shinjuku 1978

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Yeah, this is the topic for me.

The Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers box set is pretty cool, and well set up; a disc for hits, a disc for bsides etc.

I love the Springsteen box set called Live 75-85. It's got virtually all of the big songs, as well as plenty of others ones that are great live.

The Rolling Stones Singles Collection-The London Years is cool.

I've had the Beach Boys one for several years but I still haven't really taken the time to give it a real thorough listen, but it's really comprehensive.

Now if I could just get Van Halen to put one together I could die a happy man.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.19.12 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The ones I own:

The Bruce Springsteen box set is indeed very cool. It was my first box set purchase. In fact I own it on cassette and not CD.

I have the Led Zeppelin box set - the first one they did. It's Led Zep, you can't go wrong there. A must have. 4 cds.

Aerosmith - Pandora's Box. This is pretty cool. All the the old Aerosmith stuff when they were with Columbia records, plus some pre-Aerosmith stuff from Steven Tyler. This one is a must have. 3 cds.

Cheap Trick - Sex in America. The ultimate for Trick fans. 3 cds.

Alice Cooper - I forgot what the title is....but this is really cool too. I think it's called the Live and Crimes of Alice Cooper. I guess they are all cool to me or I wouldn't of bought them. 3 cds.

Queensryche - Operation Livecrime. This is not really a box set, but it was packaged like one. Live cd and video of Operation Mindcrime in it's entirety. Too fucking awesome!!!

I have always wanted to buy AC/DC's Bonfire, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Some box sets I hope happen in the future:

Van Halen of course. Can you imagine the stuff that they could release on a box set if they just got creative. A lot of unreleased stuff would just make us go crazy.

KISS

Stevie Ray Vaughn if Jimmie Vaughn hasn't released everything before then.

Ozzy Osbourne - I wonder if he has any gems from Randy Rhoads left over?

Kim Mitchell - I love this crazy Canadian. He could throw some cool Max Webster stuff on there as well.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Bonfire is pretty cool. It had a remastered version of Back In Black, a live CD (Let There Be Rock movie), a live CD from Atlantic Studios w/Bon Scott, and a CD of unreleased/early stuff.

I think an Ozzy boxset would RULE!

Has anyone checked out the Deep Purple set? I think it's called "Shades..." or something like that.

------------------
    Hello...please stick with us...we have a minor problem...I gotta go to the bathroom...I'll be back in 10 minutes.

-Eddie Van Halen 8/13/98

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Yeah, an Ozzy box set would definitely be one that I'd buy. In this day and age it's surprising that he hasn't had one; maybe he doesn't have alot of leftover songs after each album is completed. Of course Ozzy and Sharon have always been really careful about not over selling the legend of Randy Rhoads, which I think they deserve alot of credit for.

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have bonfire also,love it!i think its time for one on the band with all brian johnson stuff.also have a book on ac/dc bought in athens greece produced by dave mustaine"ac/dc the kerrang files"it said that bon scott,was in the restroom before a show and some idiot asked him,so wich are you ac,or dc,he replied neither... im the lightning bolt in the middle and punched him!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

The Led Zeppelin boxes are cool, but I was hoping for a few more unreleased tracks. Still, it's fun recreating the albums from a possible six discs (fortunately I don't think there are any that require all six discs, though programming Physical Graffiti is always fun).
    Rolling Stones The Singles Collection - weird, because that's the only band that I used to make singles tapes of, and then ABKCO does me a favour! Now I wish Atlantic or Virgin would do the same thing with the post '71 stuff.
    The Police Message In A Box - claims to have everything, but is actually missing three songs. Still, no one probably notices.
    Cheap Trick Sex America Cheap Trick - hey rxman - you got ripped off - mine has four CDs! Love that promo for Cheap Trick at the end of disc 1
    Aerosmith Pandora's Box - some interesting stuff, thought there'd be more outtakes
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Playback - discs 4-6 are the important ones for me here.
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - good mix of songs you know, songs you don't know, live stuff and some demos. Tells a good story with a sad ending.
    Jimmy Buffett - Boats Beaches Bars Ballads - great overview
    Clash On Broadway - another good mix of studio, live and unreleased/obscure songs.
    Fleetwood Mac The Chain - talk about 2 different bands! First 3 discs is the stuff you'll know, last disc is the late 60s stuff you don't hear on the radio.

------------------
    "One eye on the road, price upon his head
    One ear to the ground, he's listening to the dead..."

Hey, M-TV: Van Halen will NEVER be dead, but somebody oughtta get you a doctor!

Eat Us And Smile, y'all

For more great Van Halen discussion, visit www.DLRArmy.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just got the Hendrix one that came out Tuesday. I also have the Cream one.

------------------
    2711 Don't ever drink anything you can't see through.
    "Call Me Sir God Damn It!"

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Another cool one is the two CD Robert Johnson box set. The music is obviously incredible and the booklet that comes with it is very cool with lots of information.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My first box set was the first Led Zeppelin box set. Came out 1990. AWESOME set. Probably still my favorite box set (Till the VH one comes out )

I also have Crosby Stills and Nash box set. This one is great because it has a fair amount of unreleased songs or alternative versions which is cool. I still say Ohio one of the most important songs EVER written. It's powerful.

Also have the Aerosmith Box of Fire

And the Robert Johnson box set. Robert's THE MAN! That is THE collection to have!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

House of Pain
    Last Online

03.14.12 @ 04:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The box sets I own

Earth,Wind,& Fire- The Eternal Dance.
    the first box set i purchased. EWF is an experience that is for the mind body and soul. Great funky and soulful music with a positive message. The greatest soul band of the 70's! The set only contains 3 cd's. If i was in charge i would have added two more cd's. One with more unreleased demos and live material and the second disc containing all of the instrumentals.

Motown-1959-1971
    This set conatains some of the best songs ever written. I listen to this for the only great version of Dancing in the streets.

Cheap Trick- Sex,America,Cheap Trick
    4 cds filled with awesome music! If you want a box set that rocks this is the one!

Aerosmith- Pnadoras Box
    Kick ass rock and roll by the boys from beantown. Essential.

Fleetwod Mac- The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions
    The original Fleetwood Mac albums with peter green. If anyone is seriously into the blues I advise you to pick this box set up pronto!

Box Sets I want

Deep Purple- shades
    Led Zeppelin- Box set
    Rolling Stones- the london years
    Jimi Hendrix- Jimi Hendrix Experince
    E.L.O- Afterglow
    ABBA- Thank You For The Music
    Bee Gees- Tales of the Brothers Gibb
    Stevie Wonder- At close of the century.
    Steely Dan- Citizen Steely Dan
    Tom Petty -Box Set

Artists I wish would make an Box set

Van Halen
    Sammy Hagar
    Duran Duran
    Randy Rhoads
    QUEEN- a box with alot of demos,live cuts,and outtakes.

------------------
    UP FRONT FANATICS

vh3fan aka the not so alone warrior
    " a good soldier is always prepared during the times of peace"

"loved by many hated by few"

"buying my way into 5150"

[This message has been edited by vh3fan (edited September 14, 2000 at 06:20 PM).]

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

How about a box set from DLR?

In the chapter of his book called Brass Attack he talks about the brass version of Ice Cream Man that he did. Then he says, "I have easily a hundred songs like this that I've done over the years. Everything you can think of: dance music, blues vibe, country, instrumentals, whatever."

If Dave's not just telling tall tales, it would be cool to hear what he's got in his vaults.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.24.17 @ 06:35 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The Genesis set 67-76 Vol 1 is excellent..very rare stuff there and also Afterglow by ELO is good too. Jethro Tull is ok but its got some unlistenable material on it as well.