Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just want to see some responses. I am of course talking about a guitarist.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I try n avoid that werd cuz it makes me think of jiveass hair bands that sho, they could play a riff a million miles an hour, but they GOT NO SOUL, NO SUBSTANCE. Talkin' 'bout Yngwie(aka Yahoo Serious) an' the clown from Winger, etc. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I define a "shredder" as any guitarist that claims that Eddie was their inspiration to pick up the guitar....yet they themselves don't compose songs that are as simple or as basic as a Van Halen lick.....

[ January 17, 2002 at 07:50 PM: Message edited by: jimmy ]</p>
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

A shredder would be one who holds the ability to "play" in synch with their "emotions", *no matter what the speed*, *as long as one doesnt get away from the other in the process*. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When your pinkie on your fret hand gets more action than all other regular guitarists' fingers combined, then you are a shredder.
    If you shred and play with heart, then it's nice to meet you, Ed V.
    Personally, I think there is only one shredder in the universe. Do I have to name him? Of course not. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    (pretty smile)

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A shredder is simply a player who, instead of using their technique to bring out music, they use music to bring out their technique. Shredding is often mistaken for virtuosity; this is a crime. Playing fast (and I mean REALLY fast) is typically achieved by reverting to a few simple patterns requiring surprisingly little skill. In and of itself that's fine, but many players have based their ENTIRE 'style' on doing that, ignoring musical value in the process.

Think of it this way: a good writer is a good writer whether he types 10 words a minute or 120. It's what he has to say that's most important. A shredder is someone who basically types the alphabet over and over again, but does so extremely efficiently.

Of course, 'shred' has become a complete style of music unto itself. While it may not have a great deal of depth or memorability, it CAN be fun to listen to for a bit.

Most people think of neoclassical/metal guys as being shredders. While that may certainly be the case, I think the LARGEST number of shredders can be found in the world of jazz, where it has become convention (in some strains of jazz) for EVERYONE in an ensemble to solo during nearly every piece of music. Often, they play a composed, 4 or 8 bar intro, and then they start trading solos around in free-form. While it may be fun for them and the cool hep-cats in the audience (typically 3-8 people at a time), it can really annoy someone. Of course, the very nature of that style is having music that exists only in that ONE moment, and was never meant to stand the test of time.

Then there's the TRULY perverse: neoclassical metal player meets jazz (the sub-genre which I just described above) and forms PROG-METAL. Now you have guys changing time signatures and keys all throughout their 64th-note-laden solos, trying to get as many notes in as possible before the next guy starts his solo. Only now, instead of wearing a beret and referring to people as 'cats' (and insisting on STILL using the adjective 'groovy'), they wear all black and have their hair extensions attended to by a full-time stylist who wears goth makeup and drinks human blood for recreation.

Shredders are notorious for taking themselves WAY too seriously.

(disclaimer implied)

As we all know, there is only one way to rid the world of evil shredders: TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES!!!!!!!!

Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a person who plays very fast, with at least some kind of musical talent (sorry, yngvie).