Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 536 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My wife surprised me with tickets to see them with Bad Company opening last night here in Boston. Huge favorite of mine in the early to mid 80's. Anybody interested in hearing about it? I'll let this die a slow death if not. Just curious.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

I saw 'em back in '82 and '85 - good shows. Can't imagine how they are now. Even though 4 was a good album at the time, I felt they started going down when they went from 6 members to 4. So how was this show?

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

This is their 25 year anniversary tour according to what Lou Graham said during the show.

I saw them about 5 years ago, this was overall a better show. I guess shortly after I saw them then, Lou Graham had a brain tumor and was pretty messed up or something.

Pros and Cons
    Cons:
    Lou Graham is fat (which isn't a big deal) and his voice has lost a bit. He can still wail at times, especially in the slower songs where he has more time to fill out his voice. He had trouble trying to go high and he had trouble staying in tune when he had to sing/scream the heavier/faster songs. One HUGE irritant is that he totally changes the tempo and rythm of the lyrics, he doesn't sing them remotely close to the albums. He'll wait a bit and then rush the phrasing, or sing the line real quick when it should be drawn out. It is very very irritating, and he did it both last night and 5 years ago. His voice was VERY weak in the first couple of songs (Long Way From Home and Double Vision), but got stronger as they went, and was vintage Lou on some songs. The sound mix was just okay, somewhat muddied at times.

Pros: The rest of the band was real good. 5 years ago I was very disappointed that Mick Jones was on keyboards most of the night (and sounded horrible on guitar the few times he did play it), I thought they were a guitar band. Last night they were. Mick only jumped on the keys when necessary, otherwise he was on the guitar, and he was in great shape. Some of the songs he did on keys last time (Urgent and Juke Box Hero) he slammed on guitar this time, and did it well. 180 degree difference from 5 years ago. Mick is skinnier, in shape, and rocked it out. They are a 6 piece for the tour, with a keyboardist and a guy switching between sax and guitar. Killer sax solo on Urgent.

It was fun, these guys had 4 very good records, and all but two of the tunes they did were very well known. They didn't play Waiting for a Girl Like You, but did play I Want to Know What Love Is with a local choral group from Northeastern University. I could have done without that one, but I guess they had to play one of them. Mick Jones sang one of the tunes I didn't know, from I guess their first album. Mick sang it very well, I was impressed.

Bad Company is Bad Company. Paul Rodgers hasn't lost a bit, they are what they are. They sound great, just depends on whether you like their tunes. They played the hits, and they play well.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shit... that's a show I wouldn't mind seeing. Paul Rodgers & Lou Gramm are two of the best rock 'n' roll voices ever, IMHO.

I haven't seen Foreigner live since probably 1985, Lou was great back then, and it's been even longer since I last saw Paul with The Firm. I'm gonna have to check for an Atlanta/Birmingham tourdate, wouldn't mind checkin' this one out at all!

SBS

[ June 12, 2002, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]
    What, me, worry?

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't wait to see these guys. I've got 2nd row center for this Saturday's show in Saratoga, NY. I'm so pumped!

I've liked Foreigner mildly for a while, having one of their greatest hits records for a few years. After I saw their Behind the Music I was hooked. They have a great story, and many more great songs than I first thought. When I heard they were coming around I snatched a few tickets (nice ones too!).

I just downloaded a few Bad Company songs, and I really like them too. I've always love 'Shooting Star', but some of the other ones are pretty cool too.

I'll let you all know how the show turns out this weekend. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

A week or two ago they were here in Tampa. All you needed to get in was a can of food. I thought these guys must really have lost it, but from what I read here it sounds like they are allright.
    I dig the more rockin tunes, not the I wanna know what love is stuff. Guess I should have gone to the show.
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.05.15 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Bad Co in October last year in Atlanta and they were great

I last saw Foreigner at Wembley Arena back in '85 on the Agent Provocateur tour. They were amazing.
    I'd love to see them again....thing is when I saw Bad Co last year Rick Wills was playing bass.
    Which band is he in now?
    My favorite search engine google.com

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Now, the thing is...

They are currently touring with only 2 of their 6 original band members, and I doubt they are playing anything newer than 1984's Agent Provocateur, or at best, 1987's Inside Information. Are they to also be considered a "tribute band".

Also interesting is that their drummer used to be in Montrose (and also Heart)! (6 degrees of Van Halen anyone?)

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Foreigner's lead singer Lou Gramm is from my hometown here in Rochester NY. In fact he still lives here...
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by billy007:
    Now, the thing is...

They are currently touring with only 2 of their 6 original band members, and I doubt they are playing anything newer than 1984's Agent Provocateur, or at best, 1987's Inside Information. Are they to also be considered a "tribute band".

Also interesting is that their drummer used to be in Montrose (and also Heart)! (6 degrees of Van Halen anyone?)
    Bassist was the same 5 years ago, and the sax guy looked familar, but when I was first into them, I never paid much attention to names, so I don't know. I just know Lou and Mick.

Other than the two tunes I didn't know, one of which they said was off their very first album, there was nothing newer than Lou Graham's Midnight Blue. I THINK the most "recent" band tunes they played were I Want to Know What Love Is, and Yesterday (or Yesterday's Gone or whatever). Still, other than the first two songs, and isolated misses by Lou Graham, they were good. I just wish he'd sing the fuckin songs the way he wrote em. Not as much fun to see a "classic" band, know all the songs, but have trouble singing along because he's fucking with the tempo and timing.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by billy007:
    I think you're talking about Denny Carmassi, who also was with Coverdale/Page and Whitesnake for a while during the 90's. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got back, and it was a GREAT SHOW! I had 2nd row pit seats, and it was so great to be that close to rock legends. Mick Jones is an amazing guitarist. Like someone said, Lou has lost a little, but definitely not the fire. These guys truly respect their fans and put on a great show. Unfortunately the fans weren't as respectful.

Bad Company opened and got a very good reception. They played well, showcasing all their hits. For some reason, during Foreigner, a lot of people left. Some people left DURING the set! That's BS. The majority of people weren't even that into it (i.e. dancing, singing along, bobbing their heads) I saw 6 people front row center sitting the WHOLE time. I was kind of pissed. I know some of the older folk might get a little tired, but some younger people were just sitting there, or not even getting into it. If you go to the trouble to get up close, at least show some enthusiasm!

Anyways, the positives of the show: Great acoustic solo number by Mick - "Fool for You Anyway" - he really put his heart into it. The sax player had an extended solo during one song, and played face to face with Mick, while Mick soloed. A very energetic number. They brought a gospel choir out for 'I want to know what love is', which was cool. I also got 2 picks from Mick!

Great show, I'm glad I went. I have great respect for the band now, especially Mick Jones, he just blew me away. Go see this show if you get the chance!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Atomic Punk DLR:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by billy007:
    I think you're talking about Denny Carmassi, who also was with Coverdale/Page and Whitesnake for a while during the 90's. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]I just had a blast reading about Carmassi's career at this guy's site:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...14/dcarm_b.htm

bk
    A headless body in a topless bar...

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:03 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    [quote]Originally posted by badkaraoke:
    I just had a blast reading about Carmassi's career at this guy's site:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...14/dcarm_b.htm

bk
    That's a neat site. Is this Alan Fitzgerald the same dude that played/plays with Night Ranger?

As for Foreigner, their "Head Games" record is one of the best ever. You never hear "Dirty White Boy" on the radio anymore, guess it's too un-PC. Great, great riffs on it though.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by strungout:
    Just got back, and it was a GREAT SHOW! I had 2nd row pit seats, and it was so great to be that close to rock legends. Mick Jones is an amazing guitarist. Like someone said, Lou has lost a little, but definitely not the fire. These guys truly respect their fans and put on a great show. Unfortunately the fans weren't as respectful.

Bad Company opened and got a very good reception. They played well, showcasing all their hits. For some reason, during Foreigner, a lot of people left. Some people left DURING the set! That's BS. The majority of people weren't even that into it (i.e. dancing, singing along, bobbing their heads) I saw 6 people front row center sitting the WHOLE time. I was kind of pissed. I know some of the older folk might get a little tired, but some younger people were just sitting there, or not even getting into it. If you go to the trouble to get up close, at least show some enthusiasm!

Anyways, the positives of the show: Great acoustic solo number by Mick - "Fool for You Anyway" - he really put his heart into it. The sax player had an extended solo during one song, and played face to face with Mick, while Mick soloed. A very energetic number. They brought a gospel choir out for 'I want to know what love is', which was cool. I also got 2 picks from Mick!

Great show, I'm glad I went. I have great respect for the band now, especially Mick Jones, he just blew me away. Go see this show if you get the chance!
    Place was going good when I went. A bunch of people went to get beer and shit during Mick's number, which I thought was bush, the song was good and Mick sounded great. People are just morons.

Hey, am I crazy about the whole singing thing, or did the way Lou butchers the songs bother you too?

Also, I almost wish you could've seen how BAD Mick was in '97. As good as he is now, he was that bad then. I'm glad I went, just to be able to see Mick jam like I thought he could.