Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anybody else want to beat the living shit out of this asshole John Asscrotch wannabe who just gave a 15 minute Nazi propaganda speech about Napster and downloading music?

Fucking A. The hypocrites deliberately leak music to the net for the purposes of free advertising and then bitch when people download it.

Or like me, download the stuff that the labels will NEVER release. Like live Van HALEN.....

Fucking fascists.... [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

ALL OF THIM
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYTHING SEP HOW MENY SAY I
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hay FORD how about his quote"this is a life and death sitution" rrrrrrriiiiiiiiggggghhhttttt

what a line of bull shit! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    "I Want The Best! Of Both Worlds!<br />AAAAAAWWWWWWWWW-Van Halen Live With Out A Net.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man, when I saw this bullshit, I wanted to pick up my TV and throw that motherfucker right out the window. If I didn't have an HDTV, I might have...

I don't know if I totally agree with FORD's comment about deliberately leaking music for the purpose of free advertising though. That is an unsubstantiated statement of opinion.

However, I do get pissed off at the artists who think we are stealing from them. If I like a band, I'll go pick up their CD to support their cause. If I really like them, I'll pick up tickets to one (or more) of their concerts.

Downloading music on the net serves multiple purposes for me:

1. Find rare, and/or unreleased material from an artist I like.
    2. Allows me to audition a CD before I waste the money on it.
    3. Allows me to have multiple copies and/or backups of my original, purchased copies in the event something should happen to them.

FACT: CD's are forced on us because they are cheap, and easily breakable. They scratch/melt easily and because of that, we are forced to buy another copy (if we really want it) when it happens to us. They are cheap to produce, can be marked up in price drammatically because they are touted as being "High Quality". As most audiophiles know, LP's are far superior to the CD in many aspects. They are less easily scratched. Even though they can warp (as do CD's - In fact, most of them are...), they can still be played if slightly warped on a good quality record player (especially one that flattens the record before playing) and still sound good. The dynamic range on a record is much wider than that of a CD.

CD's don't do the artists any favors either. Even though the cost of production is less than that of a record, they still cost us more. Think about the extra packaging costs that go into record sales for LP's. They are like 3 times the size of a CD, so more packaging is needed. Also, it requires cardboard instead of cheaper (nowadays) plastic. So, even though the margin of profit is higher for a CD, the artists still don't make anything off of CD sales. No more than they ever made for LP sales. In fact, in most cases, it is less.

Ever wonder why Sony's "Minidisc" format never took off? It was more expensive to produce. Even though the sound quality was lessened (slightly), the compression format was adequate at producing CD quality sound. It was also more durable. That meant a reduced chance of reselling to a consumer who would have scratched a regular CD.

With all us "thieves" out there stealing copyrighted material on the Internet, the RIAA has actually seen an increase in CD sales. They and the artists themselves have actually made more money than ever before. Why? Because people could audition their material and choose whether or not they want to buy the whole disc. They can also make a backup copy (in CD Audio format) for themselves, rip them into MP3's, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, etc. and have decent quality copies so that their original isn't getting constant abuse. Because they can audition the music, they might choose NOT to buy a CD from a certain artist, but they usually will find something worth buying from a different artist and then go pick up their disc.

Hey Record Industry Pricks! - There's this little thing called "Smart Shopping". Get used to it! People are sick of spending their hard earned money on shit that isn't worth it. People don't want to spend upwards of $18.99 for a CD that contains one or two songs that interest them. They don't want to spend $4.99 for a CD single either. Why should they have to pay to support an equal packaging price to the same thing that just has more songs on it? Back in the day, I can remember recording songs onto tape from the radio. Saved me a LOT of money by allowing me not to purchase a whole LP/Tape/CD from a one-hit wonder group that had a good tune. Nowadays with Satellite Radio, one could effectively record CD quality music at home and not have to purchase a pre-packaged CD ever again. Problem is it hurts the artists, because they surely won't play an entire CD. OK, enough ranting...

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Originally posted by joedog:

FACT: CD's are forced on us because they are cheap, and easily breakable. They scratch/melt easily and because of that, we are forced to buy another copy (if we really want it) when it happens to us. They are cheap to produce, can be marked up in price drammatically because they are touted as being "High Quality". As most audiophiles know, LP's are far superior to the CD in many aspects. They are less easily scratched. Even though they can warp (as do CD's - In fact, most of them are...), they can still be played if slightly warped on a good quality record player (especially one that flattens the record before playing) and still sound good. The dynamic range on a record is much wider than that of a CD.
    Gee, man, what the hell have you been doing to your CDs? The only CDs I don't have any more from when I started buying CDs back in 1986 are the ones that were "disappeared" Although I do my best to take care of them, there have been times when I've accidentally dropped 'em and some of my cases have gotten munched during travel, but not a single one of my CDs has any type of problem as far as skipping or other problems with sound. As for LPs - I had plenty with dings and pops coming right out of the plastic. I'd return 'em but usually get more of the same and just decide to live with it. And of course, I've also mananged to drop one or two occasionally, and although I haven't had one shatter, I've had some get some nasty dings in the grooves or outright scratches from my clumsiness. As for which sounds better - well, my ear can't discern a difference for the most part - I'm sure I do have some albums on vinyl that sound better than their CD counter parts - especially some of my earlier CDs, but they'll probably never spin on my turntable again. In fact, if all the components were available on the CD (artwork, lyrics, credits, etc.) then there is a good chance those albums have been sold or are in the "to be sold" bin!

As for the pricing thing - yeah, it's annoying. I remember when CDs first came out and were around the $12-$13 mark, they told us that as soon as they had enough plants manufacturing CDs, the price would go down. Yeah, right! But there's no need to pay $18 for a single-disk, non-import CD (don't know how Sam Goody stays in business) - if you shop around, especially with the net these days, you can find a better price.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

don't download music, so the labels can continue to pay less than a 10% royalty to the artist. which is the crime here? they still have the "breakables" clause in record contracts, where they allow for 10% of the units shipped to be lost due to "breakage." how many busted CD's you see nowadays? old 78 RPM records would break, cassettes and CD's won't. so there's another 10% they don't get royalties on. and if you're the recording artist, try to get an accurate accounting of your sales. they can't do it.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thank your god I wasn't the only one who fumed and foamed at the mouth by this money grubbing, capitalist, imperialist, facist, fucknugget!

I am so disgusted by last nights grammy shitfest, I can't even muster the strength to say what I really think and feel about the Recording Acadamy. Perhaps in time...as soon as my ulcer subsides!

Dowload at will people, let the revolution begin!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Originally posted by paradiddle:
    I'd love to, but Morpheus seems to be on holiday right now!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll tell you something... I have two fubared CDs.

Collective Soul - Disciplined Breakdown
    Pearl Jam - Ten

So, how did they get fubared? I'll tell you...

SITTING IN THE DAMN CD PLAYER OVERNIGHT!

Tell me, how the [censored] does something get scratched sitting in the machine that plays it?
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I'd like to call that pompous ass myself and say the exact thing we've all been echoing on this thread.

I am SO glad others felt the EXACT way I did last night, too.

Lower the prices on these CD's, give us other options (heck, you get to test drive and pick and choose the options on a car...why not my music?) and get your head outta your wallets.

The artists are losing their ability to provide for their families? Give me a break!!!

When I see MTV Cribs and some one hit wonder piece of crap like Nellie has some sprawling mansion and 6 cars in his driveway, he is NOT hurting in the least.

The music suits are screwing themselves and blaming us for becoming more resourceful!!
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Originally posted by billy007:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by paradiddle:
    I'd love to, but Morpheus seems to be on holiday right now!</font>[/QUOTE]check out mIRC.com and download the irc client.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with most of FORD's post... And I am certainly not a Ashcroft fan. The man is a fascist, no doubt!

Now as for talk here of CD's crumbling or breaking down...I dunno what you guys are doing with your CD's but aside from the few over the years I have lost, or sold, ALL my CD's from Guns N Roses /Appetite For Destruction that I bought back in 1987---to my most recent CD purchase: Ryan Adams / Gold are ALL in GOOD SHAPE and safely secured in my 2 huge CD cabinets in my living room.

All 1,170 of them!

(I have a bit of a habit of collecting music: you'd never know right?)

By the way I agree too that if you like an artist enough, you will BUY the CD regardless!

The only thing Napster and other file sharing programs have done is turn me on to MANY MANY other bands and types of music I other wise would not have listened to.

If anything I buy MORE CD's because of File Sharing Software!

SCREW ASSCROFT!!!!!!!

~BC
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by BrokenCombs:
    I agree with most of FORD's post... And I am certainly not a Ashcroft fan. The man is a fascist, no doubt!

Now as for talk here of CD's crumbling or breaking down...I dunno what you guys are doing with your CD's but aside from the few over the years I have lost, or sold, ALL my CD's from Guns N Roses /Appetite For Destruction that I bought back in 1987---to my most recent CD purchase: Ryan Adams / Gold are ALL in GOOD SHAPE and safely secured in my 2 huge CD cabinets in my living room.

All 1,170 of them!

(I have a bit of a habit of collecting music: you'd never know right?)

By the way I agree too that if you like an artist enough, you will BUY the CD regardless!

The only thing Napster and other file sharing programs have done is turn me on to MANY MANY other bands and types of music I other wise would not have listened to.

SCREW ASSCROFT!!!!!!!

~BC
    HERE HERE!!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just happy to see the artists fighting back now. They might be the rich ones, but they are making the music. The reason music costs so much is because everybody else has their hand in the cookie jar. Coming from someone who used to work in the music industry, some of these label people make way too much money and try to live like the rock stars they're leeching from. And then they have the balls to tell us that we're stealing from them by downloading music. Glad they're not hypocrites or anything
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    When I see MTV Cribs and some one hit wonder piece of crap like Nellie has some sprawling mansion and 6 cars in his driveway, he is NOT hurting in the least.
    i'm betting most of those fuckers are renting those big houses, and leasing those Bentleys. hell, they don't even make that many Bentleys a year, and i'd also bet that only half of them made get imported to the US, with rich Saudis driving another big percentage of them.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by BrokenCombs:
    Hear, hear.

My CD collection doubled since I started doing the download. I've discovered MUCH more music since I started using Morpheus and WinMX and hopping around sites downloading stuff. Hell, downloading stuff helped me get into VH, and I wouldn't have even tried to discover Extreme if I hadn't downloaded "Play With Me."

I'm much more diverse musically, and much more willing to buy CDs, because I've tried them out before committing my money. What's wrong with being a smart consumer?
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing