Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: The Scorpions

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bigdaddy_14:
    Recently began to listen to some of their stuff. Not half bad IMHO. Fave has to be Wind of Change, hell it was the only song I ever knew by them forever.(other than rock you like a hurricane). What do you guys think?

p.s. I know they toured with VH in 87 or 88 so they musta not been all that bad [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shit man the Scorps rock. Go buy Deadly Sting The Mercury Years, double cd. It's a greatest hits package type thing. I haven't had to listen to it in some time, but thanks for reminding me. LOL. Out.

And yes they did tour with Van Halen during the MOR tour in 88. Out.

[ September 23, 2001 at 01:43 AM: Message edited by: track 5 ]
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I saw them with VH in Seattle on the MOR tour and they were great!

Love at First Sting is what got me into them, and their live album is a classic IMO. Savage Amusment I like a lot, as well as the one afer it. I kinda lost track of them after that though. A great band.

I was also really into MSG, which was Micheal Shenkers (sp) group, who is the brother of one of the Scorps guitar players.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Premium Member
    Recently began to listen to some of their stuff. Not half bad IMHO. Fave has to be Wind of Change, hell it was the only song I ever knew by them forever.(other than rock you like a hurricane). What do you guys think?

p.s. I know they toured with VH in 87 or 88 so they musta not been all that bad [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    WHOAOH! Hey you! Who said that? Baby how you been?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah... my fellow compatriots sure do rock! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

As for Deadly Sting - The Mercury Years... yes, go buy that... very good collection. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

As for Michael Schenker, the dude's not only Rudi's brother, but he also played guitar on some of the Scorps' earlier material, like Holiday. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

like alot of their stuff. that double cd is going on my list. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not having a Scorpions in your cd collection is like breaking a commandment. These guys rock. When they had Uli Roth in the 70's they were progressive and wrote some neat shit. When the 80's rolled around they wrote more great stuff like Blackout, Love At First Sting, and Savage Amusement. They are one of the masters of German hard rock and rock in general. If you don't want to buy their stuff one by one, you must at least own Love At First Sting and Deadly Sting-The Mercury Years which is a best of package. Killer band. They just released Acoustica which is a bunch of their hits in a live acousic format. I will be picking that up soon.
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Premium Member
    Yeah i guess ill have to pick one of those titles up soon.

p.s. Fountain Inn diggyd? Im at school right over here in Clemson. Nice to know ya neighbor! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    WHOAOH! Hey you! Who said that? Baby how you been?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's up Big Daddy neighbor! I didn't see where you were from otherwise I would have harrassed you about the Virginia/Clemson score [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Go get you some Scorpions. You'll love it.
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Considering most of their stuff they put out on BMG (the label they were with before Mercury) is out of print you probably don't need the heads up, but the material they wrote then is radically different - almost like a different band. Klaus and a fellow by the name of Uli Roth took turns on vocals and, well, it was a good day indeed when Uli left the band [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Their post-Mercury stuff, depending on who you ask, is hit or miss. I enjoy it, but many people (including people here) thought Eye 2 Eye was weak. Moment of Glory is a neat change of pace with the inclusion of a symphony, but it's pretty much a treat for hardcore fans only.

I'd stay stick to the Deadly Sting album and judge each album from the numbers you hear on that one.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    Klaus and a fellow by the name of Uli Roth took turns on vocals and, well, it was a good day indeed when Uli left the band [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uli was and is a great guitar player. But if he never sang ever again it wouldn't be soon enough [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] A net friend of mine is doing some web/promotion stuff for him - I guess he's done some stuffrecently with Don Airey (keys- Rainbow, Ozzy) and Graham Bonnet (vox-Rainbow, MSG, Malmsteen) but it's not clear where that is going yet.

The Scorpions were a great band up until First Sting...after that they become pretty meidocre. I thought they were very average on the MOR88 tour, nowhere near as good as the Blackout tour.

And Wind of Change is one of the worst songs ever written by a major hard rock band IMO.
    Delusions of eloquence

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got into 'em with Lovedrive (an all-time classic album), and finally saw 'em in Tacoma on their Crazy World tour, also a damn good album! Face the Heat wasn't bad, but it seems they went south after that [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

Yeah their early stuff is way way different than most of their 80's big rock stuff, after Mathias Jabs joined. "Deadly Sting" is worth getting if you don't want to buy their albums. Personally, I think everything went way south after "Love At First Sting" which has some great stuff on it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

01.07.12 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brett:
    Yeah their early stuff is way way different than most of their 80's big rock stuff, after Mathias Jabs joined. "Deadly Sting" is worth getting if you don't want to buy their albums. Personally, I think everything went way south after "Love At First Sting" which has some great stuff on it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I'll have to agree with Brett on this. After Love at First Sting, there isn't much else worth getting. Uli Jon Roth was one of those who approached the guitar from a classical point of view at times.
    I like 'em cause they have that dual-guitar attack. My personal faves are, The Zoo, No One Like You, and Still Loving You to name a couple.
    Eat Us and Smile!