Thread: Pantera

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.13.20 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 3,262 Times in 2,227 Posts

A little better video of Phil and BLS doing I'm Broken.

Zakk does a respectable job on the solo considering it was a guest thing.

Phil does sound rough for sure, smoking has shot his voice. Also does some ranting at the end per his usual in concert deal, that is getting a bit tired.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

10.02.19 @ 02:19 PM
    Liked 2,073 Times in 1,105 Posts

Donor

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 06:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 9,316 Times in 6,703 Posts

Premium Member

^^^ WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's some pretty hateful stuff . Was it a fan of the Bee guitar ?

Imagine someone doing a similar thing to Randy Rhoads' crypt ... Lowest of the low . I'm not a Dime fan , but do respect his following and talent .

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

04.05.20 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 20,510 Times in 11,818 Posts

DIMEBAG 'Wanted To Go Back' To PANTERA In Weeks Leading Up To His Death

February 25, 2020

Daryl "Bobby Tongs" Arnberger, who was one of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott's closest friends and an official videographer for PANTERA and DAMAGEPLAN, recently gave a two-hour interview to the "Landry.audio" podcast in which he went into detail about PANTERA's early glam days, the arrival of singer Philip Anselmo, the changing of the band's sound, Anselmo's drug addiction, how Philip's DOWN side project affected PANTERA, PANTERA's breakup, Dimebag's gradual frustration with DAMAGEPLAN, and Arnberger's current relationship with the surviving PANTERA bandmembers. You can now listen to the chat below.

Speaking about Darrell's desire to reform PANTERA in the months leading up to the guitarist's untimely death, Arnberger said: "Oh, yeah. He would have. The last time I saw him was in November of 2004. I was about to go back out with SLIPKNOT or [MARILYN] MANSON, one of the two. And I went over to his house. I was just talking to him briefly about everything. He was, like, 'We're gonna go out and do this [DAMAGEPLAN] tour through December, and I'll see you for Christmas and everything. After that, we're gonna have some new shit going on. And it's not gonna be this. Whatever it takes, we're gonna get these guys back together and do it right.' … He was saying he was gonna do everything he could. He was pretty much done with what they [DAMAGEPLAN] were doing at that point. He wanted to move on and go back to PANTERA."

Asked what it was about DAMAGEPLAN that was irking Dimebag shortly before the band's final tour, Arnberger replied: "He didn't think the other guys were as into it. He obviously didn't feel the magic as much as he did with the other two guys," presumably referring to Anselmo and PANTERA bassist Rex Brown.

Arnberger also revealed that he never read Brown's 2013 memoir, "Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story Of Pantera".

Story continues after advertisement
    "One of my friends … told me one of the first quotes in there was something about Vinnie being fat, and all this shit," he said. "And then he talked shit about Darrell in the first chapter. And it's, like, there's no way that Rex can talk shit about those guys. It's obviously a pile of shit, and I didn't read it. I didn't read it. I don't wanna read it. Everybody's told me enough about it. Through the years, everybody's told me what a bunch of horseshit it was — people that were there and people that know. And even Rex himself has said it wasn't meant to be that way. He was telling me some shit about it. But I don't know. I didn't read it."

Arnberger went on to say that he still has a cordial relationship with both Anselmo and Brown.

"[Philip has] come a long way since [the end of PANTERA]," he said. "I've seen him a bunch since Darrell died and since Vinnie died. I've seen him once since Vinnie died, actually. But anyway, he's come a long way. He's not doing drugs. He's expressed his apologies and everything to everybody. I know Vinnie would never forgive him. Darrell, I'm not so sure — Darrell might have. But I'm not one to hold grudges, 'cause there's no reason for me to hold a grudge against Phil or Rex or anybody. I mean, there are a [lot] of reasons, but I choose not to."

Three years ago, Dimebag's longtime girlfriend Rita Haney told the "Talk Toomey" podcast that a PANTERA reunion "definitely" would have happened had Dimebag not been taken from us.

"[Darrell] had already made the effort to get on the phone with Rex on his birthday, on August 20th, in 2004, and had made plans to speak with him again," she said. "So, yeah, definitely. Because I know how, in his heart, he was PANTERA — he always would be. No matter what it was called — DAMAGEPLAN or what — that was always what was inside of him. And I know the things that he was feeling when he came home. He felt he had something to prove. He didn't wanna do those things with [DAMAGEPLAN frontman] Pat Lachman. Pat had already been causing issues and there were problems. I have several voice messages from [Darrell] that I still have of things that he left and was telling me about the things Pat was doing out there. And he was, like, 'Man, I don't wanna work with this dude. I wanna fire him. I just don't want people to think we're difficult to work with.' I mean, that's just how he felt. So, yeah, I definitely believe that [PANTERA] would be standing on stage together [again]."

Up until his passing in June 2018, Vinnie remained on non-speaking terms with Anselmo, whom the drummer indirectly blamed for Dimebag's death.

Vinnie and Dimebag co-founded PANTERA. When PANTERA broke up in 2003, they formed DAMAGEPLAN. On December 8, 2004, while performing with DAMAGEPLAN at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus, Ohio, Dimebag was shot and killed onstage by a troubled schizophrenic who believed that the members of PANTERA were stealing his thoughts.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/di...-to-his-death/

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.05.20 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 13,840 Times in 7,577 Posts

It still bothers me that Phil Anselmo needs to be forgiven.

He didn't kill anyone.
    He was frustrated, in severe pain & attempting to self medicate with drugs.
    No one could for see this sort of random, WTF just happened, tragedy.

I'm sure Vinnie had survivor's guilt and tons of emotions.
    But Phil had nothing to do with some psychotic fan, stalking poor Dime.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

9. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post

He didn't kill anyone.

While I don't like many of the things Phil said, I agree with you. Many people almost blame him for Dime's death which isn't right at all. Phil is another super talented asshole, but he didn't kill anybody.

Pantera in their prime was as untouchable as any band ever, they truly were great.

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

He didn't kill anyone.

Dude, if I were in Vinnie’s situation I would want nothing to do with him either. How Vinnie kept it together when asked about Phil is beyond me.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

04.05.20 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 1,540 Times in 943 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    While I don't like many of the things Phil said, I agree with you. Many people almost blame him for Dime's death which isn't right at all. Phil is another super talented asshole, but he didn't kill anybody.

Pantera in their prime was as untouchable as any band ever, they truly were great.
    Saw em 9 times...truly unbelievable....
    I actually work with a woman who's ex high school boyfriend is the one who shoot Dime....she said he was a really strange dude and he became obsessed with her and she had to get her father and brother to run the guy off....
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

04.05.20 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 1,540 Times in 943 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My brother had a band that toured with Pantera a few times...and he still talks to Phil...he's totally devastated by everything....make no mistake...they all made mistakes...none of them are innocent of arrogance and bullshit attitudes...
    Last edited by evhintexas; 02.26.20 at 04:31 PM.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

04.01.20 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 929 Times in 617 Posts

Cowboys from Hell and Far Beyond Driven are my 02 favourite records from Pantera. 01 stuff or 02 from Vulgar Display of Power. The Great Southern Trendkill has lots of gems, even though the conflicts inside the band and how the lyrics reflect this aspect. I'm also a fan of Reinventing the Steel.

TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Dude, if I were in Vinnie’s situation I would want nothing to do with him either. How Vinnie kept it together when asked about Phil is beyond me.
    Vinnie fled the stage, prolly most of us would in such a shocking situation.
    Survivor's guilt.

But don't put it all on some guy who wasn't even there, and had nothing to do with the
    mental state of some random psycho.

Phil getting so much blame for this from day one, when he himself was completely devastated,
    was wrong.

From Vinnie to Dime's partner, Rita, it was a never ending pile on.

Are we blaming Phil because he left Pantera?

He stuck with the band for a long time, it's his right to do other projects and be creative
    with other people.

Are we blaming Phil because he was a drug addict & grouchy?

The guy was one of the most physical performers out there, and the dude was in severe
    agony due to chronic back pain.

No one saw he was self medicating to deal with said pain?

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

03.29.20 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts

Vinnie fled the stage, prolly most of us would in such a shocking situation.
    Survivor's guilt.

But don't put it all on some guy who wasn't even there, and had nothing to do with the
    mental state of some random psycho.

Phil getting so much blame for this from day one, when he himself was completely devastated,
    was wrong.

From Vinnie to Dime's partner, Rita, it was a never ending pile on.

Are we blaming Phil because he left Pantera?

He stuck with the band for a long time, it's his right to do other projects and be creative
    with other people.

Are we blaming Phil because he was a drug addict & grouchy?

The guy was one of the most physical performers out there, and the dude was in severe
    agony due to chronic back pain.

No one saw he was self medicating to deal with said pain?
    Well it's two things. Phil was an asshole, plain and simple, at the time anyway. But Dime getting shot is a separate thing in my mind, the heat Phil got on that is completely unfair IMO.

As far as Vinnie holding a grudge, who's to say how they'd feel in that position? I don't blame him, I don't even have a brother so I can't imagine seeing him get shot like that. Holding a grudge with Phil, probably was part of the fact he survived the incident and part Phil/Dime having "unfinished business" I would think. That is what it is.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

I don’t blame Vinnie. A week after Phil says that Dime should be severely beaten some nut goes out and kills him.

“There’s no doubt the guy who did this was out of his fuckin’ mind,” Vinnie Paul told me. “He’s somebody that should have been incarcerated. When you’ve got somebody with obvious mental problems, it’s not a great idea for his mother to go get him a gun that’s used for killing people in the military. And obviously, he knew how to use it. He wasn’t just some ragtime dude who grabbed a gun. I saw what happened, and I knew exactly that the dude was on a mission, man, for whatever reason. And the kind of shit [Philip] said [to Metal Hammer] is the kind of shit that might incite the guy that did this to do the kind of things that he did.”

Read More: 15 Years Ago: Dimebag Darrell Killed Onstage | https://loudwire.com/dimebag-darrell...edium=referral

Can’t blame Vinnie at all.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I don’t blame Vinnie. A week after Phil says that Dime should be severely beaten some nut goes out and kills him.

“There’s no doubt the guy who did this was out of his fuckin’ mind,” Vinnie Paul told me. “He’s somebody that should have been incarcerated. When you’ve got somebody with obvious mental problems, it’s not a great idea for his mother to go get him a gun that’s used for killing people in the military. And obviously, he knew how to use it. He wasn’t just some ragtime dude who grabbed a gun. I saw what happened, and I knew exactly that the dude was on a mission, man, for whatever reason. And the kind of shit [Philip] said [to Metal Hammer] is the kind of shit that might incite the guy that did this to do the kind of things that he did.”

Read More: 15 Years Ago: Dimebag Darrell Killed Onstage | https://loudwire.com/dimebag-darrell...edium=referral

Can’t blame Vinnie at all.
    True.

But you can't blame Phil either.

If anyone is at fault, it's Metal Hammer for putting that on the cover.

Trash talk from estranged band mates, taken out of context.
    Tabloid shit.

Come on, Brook.

You know this is all bullshit, blaming Phil for a ridiculous tragedy no one could
    have predicted.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post: