12.18.17 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 986 Times in 397 Posts

[img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

thanks for the transcription goo...

sad day for who fans...

and actually rock n roll fans everywhere

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

That's a nice well written letter by Roger.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Wasnt too sure where to put this. Given therse a couple of threads around re Entwistle, and it applies to all of them, I'll give it it's own thread. Its a good statement and probably deserves discussion in its own right anyway

From Petes Website:

28 June 2002
    Statement from Roger

I have lost one of my oldest friends in John Entwistle. We have been friends since we were 14 years old and I cannot even begin to measure the loss. My heart goes out to his wonderful family. Unfortunately, it is a fact of life that as we get older more and more of our friends disappear from our lives and death is like an ever encroaching shadow on us all.

What we have lost is a unique individual, both as a human being and a musician. He transformed the bass guitar into something way beyond anything that it was originally designed for. On his way he inspired many budding musicians to turn the bass into a lead instrument and though he was often copied, he was never equalled.

For us itís more than a friendship, it is a brotherhood. It is blood.

John made no compromises in the way he lived his life. He did it totally his way. Sad though it is, if he could have written an ending for himself it would have been very similar to the one he had. For those who knew him and his sense of humour they will raise a smile at that. He was a true rock and roll icon through and through and he was so proud that he was famous.

My feeling about where Pete and I are left now is my belief that our music goes beyond and before us, transcending everything we do. If John had it his way we would probably have been on the road 365 days a year Ė no, make that 351 as he would have still wanted to have his two weeks fishing! John lived his life for the road and to play live on stage and Iím sure he would want us to be doing this as I know his family does.

My reason for doing what we are doing now, and it is going to take a lot of strength from everybody, is to celebrate Johnís life. It seems to me the best way is to play our music Ė the music he helped to create. The spirit of John Entwistle is intrinsically woven into every song we play. By playing our music I believe we can help ourselves and our fans grieve and begin to come to terms with our loss, huge as it is.

We have to accept that life has to go on. We are only a mirror image of our audience. They too lose people and try to move on with their lives and we have to do the same. It will never be the same, it will be different. But John is ingrained in those songs, and just as you can still hear Keith Moon in our live sound, you will still hear John. His spirit will be with us.

I take a leap into the unknown with a heavy heart but an open spirit and I thank the support and loyalty of all our friends, crew and fans.

Thinking back to the Concert for New York it proved to me once again what I have always believed Ė that music, of any kind, has the power to lift people out of their grief and earthly problems. I truly believe that.

I just hope that God has got his earplugs ready. Whatever happens heíll have to reinvent thunder as it simply wonít be loud enough any more!

Roger Daltrey LA 28 June 2002
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Beautiful words written by Roger.

Somehow, this makes it easier to want to see The Who perform again, evenif it is going to be without John. At least the concerts will now take on a new meaning as a celebration of John's life, as Roger said, instead of just 2 hours of Who classics.

However, I don't think there will be a dry eye at ANY venue for the remainder of this tour.
    [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Petes had a 'diary update' on his page, as opposed to an 'official statement', here 'tis:

29 June 2002
    Pino Palladino to play bass for the tour

Back to Diary Dates
    Bobby and I welcomed Pino to L.A last night. By some incredible stroke of good fortune he was in the USA (Philadelphia) about to fly to the UK after working some sessions in Miami. He agreed immediately to step in to this difficult post. He is a gentleman and a professional.

We talked a little about his role here, and I made it clear we do not expect him to attempt to emulate, parody or copy John Entwistle in any way. Pino is a master in his own way, but the one request I made was that - at first - he play as loud as he can bear!

We have two rehearsals before the Hollywood Bowl - one today (Saturday) one tomorrow.

For my part I am not attempting to deliberately establish any sense of memorial or tribute to John. Unlike others I entirely respect (including many of John's friends and family) I don't feel I know for certain that John would have wanted us to go on. I simply believe we have a duty to go on, to ourselves, ticket buyers, staff, promoters, big and little people. I also have a duty to myself and my dependent family and friends. I also want to help guide Roger and the rest of the band at this time, all of whom have been shaken by John's death.

Roger left entirely to me the decision as to whether or not to go on with the tour. I think he hoped in his heart it would not be over so suddenly.

My immediate mission is to complete this tour in good heart, and to remember John in my quiet and private times. It is easy for me to smile when I remember John. I loved him unconditionally. I will try hard not to fall into any of my usual mini-depressions on this tour. Pino is determined to enjoy the music, and so am I.

We are musicians, entertainers. We can do it. We have the right tools. No worries.

A little zen....... Headed your way.......