Thread: Kings X

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I went and saw Kings X last night here in Vancouver, and WOW, what a show! Two solid hours of great music in a club that holds 300 or so!

Ty was absolutely fantastic! My buddy and I met them before the show and they're a nice bunch of guys.

If you get a chance, go see them, two big big thumbs up!

One of the openers were called Podunk, and they were great as well

------------------
    Guitar Room player files http://www.freedrive.com/
    UN: vhlinks
    PW: vhlinks

Baluchitherium
    G4

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great band!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great band!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

11.09.05 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A King's X thread, right on! I'm an absolute disciple, saw them for the first time back in 1989. Gonna see them out here in zonie land in September.

Another great band from Texas, who unfortunately have broken up, is Galactic Cowboys. Jerry Gaskill from KX played the drums on their new (final) album, 'Let It Go'. If you love KX, you'll probably love GC as well.

These are both great bands who are lucky to break 50K in sales, buy any of their albums, they are all great. The new KX, 'Please Come Home, Mr. Bulbous', is awesome.

I may just keep responding to this post occassionaly, just to keep it at the top of the list, although that is probably not good board etiquette...

------------------
    First six albums rule - Later, VHDOF

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A King's X thread, right on! I'm an absolute disciple, saw them for the first time back in 1989. Gonna see them out here in zonie land in September. If anybody wants to hang with me at the show, email me privately.

Another great band from Texas, who unfortunately have broken up, is Galactic Cowboys. Jerry Gaskill from KX played the drums on their new (final) album, 'Let It Go'. If you love KX, you'll probably love GC as well. The two bands were a double bill on the 1998 tour, and I saw the show here in Phoenix, probably about 400 or 500 (at the most) in attendance, and it was great. Homeunit, are you familiar with KX material? Did they play a lot off of the new album and Tapehead? They played only three songs off of TH when I saw them in 1998, most of the balance being from the first two albums, I hope they are playing more new material on this tour...

These are both great bands who are lucky to break 50K in sales, buy any of their albums, they are all great. The new KX, 'Please Come Home, Mr. Bulbous', is awesome.

I may just keep responding to this post occasionally, just to keep it at the top of the list, although that is probably not good board etiquette...

------------------

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry about the double post, wierd things are happening in this thread.

I usually don't do things like this, but here goes.

This is a personal plea: Please go out and purchase the new King's X album, "Please Come Home Mr. Bulbous" and the new Galactic Cowboys album, "Let It Go". I know you won't be disappointed. Come on folks, you can't find great new music unless you take a risk.

I don't work for the bands or anything (although it may sound like I'm a paid promoter of something) , I just find it tragic that such fantastic music has to wallow in such obscurity. It's a &*^%ing crime...

------------------

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry about the double post, wierd things are happening in this thread.

I usually don't do things like this, but here goes.

This is a personal plea: Please go out and purchase the new King's X album, "Please Come Home Mr. Bulbous" and the new Galactic Cowboys album, "Let It Go". I know you won't be disappointed. Come on folks, you can't find great new music unless you take a risk.

I don't work for the bands or anything (although it may sound like I'm a paid promoter of something) , I just find it tragic that such fantastic music has to wallow in such obscurity. It's a &*^%ing crime...

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

We used to do a GC cover years ago, but everybody used to think it was an original so we stopped

I heard that they had a new album out, so I guess I'll have to make a purchase!

And I second the album rec on the Kings X one!

------------------

Baluchitherium
    G4

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Homeunit:

What kind of mix of material did they have, i.e. old/new?

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

They did maybe 3 new tunes, and a real good mix of the old. Goldilocks/summerland/dogman/the train, a real cool set, lost in germany etc.
    It was a real great show. It wasn't really advertized so the crowd was small, (250) maybe. Sound was great, I was 3-5 feet away from ty for the whole show, and it was inspiring to say the least! I actually chatted with doug & ty before the show, and they're a real nice bunch of guys.

------------------

Baluchitherium
    G4

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Homeunit:

I'm disappointed to hear that they are still focusing on the old material. I love the old stuff, but I also love the last 2 albums and would like to hear more live versions of those songs.

Oh well. I love the band and would listen to them urinate, so I'll be there on Tuesday, 09/12/2000 in Tempe, AZ, at the Big Fish Pub.

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

You won't be dissapointed

------------------

Baluchitherium
    G4

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think the reason King's X remains relatively unknown is because they are pigeonholed into a weird kind of musical "limbo" along with a few other great bands, such as the 77's. www.77s.com

Because of their Christian beliefs, rock radio is afraid to promote them.

Because they are an honest rock band, Christian radio is afraid to promote them.

Hence, nobody is spreading the word about them. And sadly I must admit I've missed the last few King's X albums myself

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all, I've had no internet access for a while, so that's why the delay in posting this...

I was at the KX show at the Big Fish Pub in Tempe on Tuesday, and here are my thoughts. Firstly, as always when discussing KX shows, I'm inevitably disappointed at the small size of the venues, while at the same time thrilled that I can see such a great band up close. This is the smallest place I've seen them, and also is the place with the worst sound system. Check that; not necessarily the worst sound system, but definitely the worst mix. I've said this may times, to the point of nausea, but here goes again: the person at the soundboard needs to be aware and awake during a performance. Finally bringing the bass response up to appropriate levels in the middle of the fifth song and then continually messing with the mix to the point of completely obliterating the bass response alternated with overloading the same for 30-second intervals is not only completely mystifying, but entirely amateurish and unprofessional. KX deserves better, and their mixing at concerts have always left something to be desired, and I'm actually getting bored with blaming the sound guys; I think it is time to level some criticism at KX themselves. I've seen them several times now over the years, and at this point in their careers, they should have mechanisms in place to prevent incredibly bad mixes; it may be a manager keeping an eye and ear on the sound, it may be their own sound guy (I'm assuming that the sound guy at the Big Fish Pub wasn't their own, if it was, then they are in real trouble).

Anyway, the opening band Podunk was solid, though extremely derivative. The lead singer/guitarist has a hell of a voice, cast in the mould of early seventies bluesy/soulful hard rock singing. Their final song was very similar to Grand Funk's "Closer To Home", and the singer at another point pulled out the talkbox and did a Frampton-styled "Do You Feel Like I Do" rap. Their promotional people were passing out a 2-song CD sampler, which I listened to the day after the show and which is not bad.

KX played in a very similar style to the show I saw in 1998 at the Mason Jar in Phoenix. Not a lot of activity on stage, just a little talk between songs. Ty was clearly under the weather, at one point asking fans near him to put out their cigarettes. His voice was definitely wobbly at times, and I'm sure this was because of his condition. The band were all using plug-in ear monitors, and it appeared that they were having some problems with the mix on these things occasionally. For whatever reasons, the harmonies were very sloppy at times, the first time I've ever witnessed that phenomenon at a KX show. They performed several of the cuts from Bulbous, a relief for me in comparison with the 1998 show when they only performed 3 songs from the then-new Tapehead album. The rest was a good balance of the more recent stuff along with the classic KX, the highlights for me being "Cigarettes" from Dogman and "Everybody Knows A Little Bit Of Something" from the Gretchen album.

It's always a pleasure to hear these great musicians play, but I've got to be honest here, I'm getting the feeling that the guys are getting tired of the whole damn thing. There wasn't a lot of passion coming from the stage, the tempos were sluggish at times, and the band was just not as tight as I've seen them before. Perhaps it was just an off night, all performers have them. If any of the guys in KX read this, please accept the criticism in the light it was meant, that being of a fan who has all the product and knows it inside\out and will continue to support the band, but also will never be a sycophant.

Here's what way played, I hope it is accurate:

OOTSP - Goldilox
    GGTN - Summerland, Everybody Know A Little Bit Of Something
    FHLBKX - Moanjam (encore), We Were Born To Be Loved
    KX - Lost In Germany
    Dogman - Dogman, Cigarettes
    EC - The Train, Sometime, Looking For Love
    TH - Groove Machine, Fade, Little Bit Of Soul, Higher Than God
    PCHMB - Julia, She's Gone Away, Marsh Mellow Field, When You're Scared, Smudge, Bitter Sweet

------------------
    First six albums rule. In addition, the following represent the only two Y2K release in the world that are preventing me from losing it altogether waiting for the VH reunion.

Galactic Cowboys Let It Go
    King's X Please Come Home...Mr. Bulbous

Later, VHDOF

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

You know I heard the same thing regarding their sound inconsistancies! The last time they were hear, they brought their own sound, and it was flawless! This last time, they used the house system, and it was great (for a house system).

Now in all fairness, have you ever tried to mix a bass that's tuned down to b before? I know I wouldn't want that job, however I do see your point and also feel that they should have it worked out by now.

I'm thinking that they don't have the drawing power that Dogman provided, so maybe the use of house systems reflects the scaled down tour?

Re their permormance, when I saw them, they were pretty laid back, but fully into the performance. Ty was Ty, he just stood in front of his mic with eyes closed tearing every guitar player in the room new rectums Doug was high as shit, but played well and moved around quite a bit, and Jerry was a spaz behind the kit!

I think as a band, they're frustrated because they know they write great tunes, but they're either not marketed right or just too progressive for the mainstream, I don't know.

It really really sucks to see my favorite band work so hard, produce a great product, and not really get rewarded for it, while at the same time there are these radio bands (take your pick) that suck real bad, but because they're marketed through the fucking roof, they're successful, (for the 1 hit album)

Go figure

------------------

Baluchitherium
    G4