Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

VH1 has decided to do a Behind the Music special on Megadeth. It was on 2x today.

As usual, it was a very cool and enlightening piece on a very colorful band, but as I sat there today watching it, I wondered out loud why Megadeth deserved a BTM episode and not bands like VH, Rush, Iron Maiden and Aerosmith. I mean, I can't honestly say that Megadeth is one of the ground breaking artists of music that have a story that's worthy of being told. Granted, I know Mustaine has been in the music biz since Metallica's iception, but it just struck me as odd that VH1 wanted to pay homage to these guys. I know that a lot of "tier 1" bands are featured as are a lot of "tier 2" bands, but I'd have never, EVER thought Megadeth would be the focus on a BTM. I guess Sanctuary had this done to co-incide with the new Megadeth cd coming out next month.

Must be kinda slow on the rock front these days....they must be saving the Van Halen special for the big fall lineup! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Like anything else, it doesn't take long before you run out of HUGE bands, and then they've got to set their sights a little lower in order to keep the franchise running.

Doesn't it all come down to band cooperation? If a band is willing to give it's time to be interviewed, they'll have a chance to be featured on the show. Van Halen I'm sure has been asked to do this show, but it would be pretty useless without the band themselves consenting to being interviewed. Frankly, with the makeup of VH, I'd be surprised if they were ever willing to be asked the straight questions that a show like that would seek to uncover.

Haven't seen the Megadeth one, not a big fan, but I'm sure I'd watch it if it came on. I find those Behind the Music shows to be quite well done generally.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Since Mustaine's history does deal with Metallica, we saw almost like half of the Metallica BTM from the Megadeth perspective.

Necessary for the story, but it seemed a bit redundant to me. Overall, though, it was a good story.

8/10 (or 4 out of 5 stars if we're reducing fractions tonight!) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Did you catch the "fake" Runnin' With The Devil snippet? Mustaine was saying that it has the worst bass line to listen to when your're hungover.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    8/10 (or 4 out of 5 stars if we're reducing fractions tonight!) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't let AbeVH get wind of this! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Don't want to step on the calculator's toes. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It also helps if you've got an album out next month. Funny how $ greases the wheels of the media catapult.

I've always respected 'Deth, a fuckload more than Metalliwhiners. Mustain is a brilliant and tortured songwriter. I enjoyed the special.
    RLRR LRLL

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:47 PM
    Liked 11,604 Times in 4,948 Posts

It isn't a matter of deserving it, VH1 has contacted Van Halen SEVERAL times to do a BTM, but they can't get the cooperation of all the band members, that's why there isn't one.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Hot For Teacher
    From everywhere there\'s a beach, sand and a whole lotta woman in the sun.
    Favorite VH Album

All of them.... VH is GOOD!!
    Favorite VH Song

Eddie on guitar...\'nuff said.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why wouldn't they deserve a BTM??

Well let's see...
    First off Dave Mustain is one of the founding member of Metallica, and one of the best guitar players around. Second Megadeth still to this day one of the most intriguing, influential metal band around, and as far a music goes they have some of the most heaviest, complicated compositions ever for a band that played this kind of music... and third but not least Dave is way cooler than Lars and James put together, and Dave can still play circles around Kirt Hammet. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Do you think we migth still have to wait anyway?

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw the episode yesterday. I loved it. I never was really, that into megadeth until now. I play guitar and I realized how good mustaine realy is. Its funny how he came up with megadeth to be better than metallica. Im glad megadeth stayed close to there metal roots-metallica kinda left the heavey metal after the black album. I agree thats probably why there is no vanhalen or rush etc. they either dont want to or dont have the time. Im kinda fed up with van halen and lost interest--Iam expanding my music library by branching out and listening to other bands. Cant wait for the new megadeth cd!!!!!!!
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brett:
    It isn't a matter of deserving it, VH1 has contacted Van Halen SEVERAL times to do a BTM, but they can't get the cooperation of all the band members, that's why there isn't one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah a while ago, Dave said he would only do one if it was on his solo career or something like that.
    I am awesome

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i like the story of DAVE beating JAMES up. i think METALLICA is a much better band. the thing i don't like about MEGADETH is their songs don't rhyme. COUNTDOWN TO DESTRUCTION
    is a kick ass song.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I WILL say this about Megadeth. I've seen them 2x in concert and they are amazing! They were extremely tight and loud and Mustaine does a good job of snarling at the audience. I was lucky enough to meet the band after a show in Columbia and they were ALL very cool guys. In fact, me and 2 other dj's got to bring them on stage, but I didn't know they were right behind me. So as I'm walking off stage, there in the shadows I walk right by Dave himself. I was like "whoa! Hey Dave!"

He just kinda smirked at me, nodded his head and tossed me his football jersey...

OK...everything except the jersey happened! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

LMAO [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

CK, you crack me up bro. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I saw Megadeth open for Judas Priest on the Painkiller tour. Not sure what tour Megadeth was on since I'm not a big fan. They were pretty cool live, quite intense. They did an awesome version of Anarchy in the UK. Testament also opened that show, and they sucked.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    LMAO [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

CK, you crack me up bro. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just doin' my part for the good and levity of the board, Brother Glenn! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I saw Megadeth open for Judas Priest on the Painkiller tour. Not sure what tour Megadeth was on since I'm not a big fan. They were pretty cool live, quite intense. They did an awesome version of Anarchy in the UK. Testament also opened that show, and they sucked.[/QUOTE]

I'm not too sure myself, but guessing here, I'd say it was the "Rust In Peace" tour w/that tune "Hangar 18". I think JP had Painkiller come out in the early 90's...maybe 92??? I never got into Testament, either. I love your brevity of how you felt about them, though.

"Testament also opened that show, and they sucked."

WOW! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I saw them at Red Rocks in Colorado, for the Crytic Writings tour, Dave was very appreciative to the crowd, and very humble...
    RLRR LRLL