Favorite VH Album

Fraulines und Kinder First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Panzer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Doors Regroup With Former Cult Singer

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. - Add The Doors to the latest reunion tour circuit. And band members are sure that the late Jim Morrison would have loved it.

"Jim Morrison would be very happy with this regrouping of The Doors," keyboardist Ray Manzarek (news) told The Associated Press. "Because these are Jim Morrison's words, and Jim Morrison's words are now alive and being sung to an audience one more time. And he was a poet and a poet wants to be known for his words."

Manzarek and guitarist Robby Krieger (news) have reformed the band, now called The Doors 21st Century. Ian Astbury of The Cult will handle vocals, and Stewart Copeland (news) of Police will play the drums.

"It is The Doors for the 21st century, there's a new millennium here," Krieger said. "And there's a need for good music to be heard. That's why we decided to get this whole thing back together after 30 years."

Astbury even sort of looks like Morrison, but he said that's because he's got the same ethnic and psychic background as Morrison. Astbury insisted he's not trying to do an impression of Morrison, a contention Manzarek supported.

"Ian is not doing Jim Morrison. Ian is doing Ian Astbury," Manzarek said. "For some strange gathering together of the fates, Ian has been put into our laps."

Manzarek said drummer John Densmore (news) has not objected to The Doors, know for their hits "Light My Fire" and "Love Me Two Times," continuing without him.

"Well I assume we have John's blessings as far ... ," Manzarek said. "You know, John's got bad ears and he's got tinnitus and can't play this loud rock 'n' roll stuff and blow his brains out if he tried to, it'd just be too loud for him. So, John has said fine, go ahead."

Their first concert will be on Friday in Los Angeles and a tour is planned for later this year.
    Musical equipment I own dat legitimizes mein post. Tuba, clarinet, und electric glockenspiel.<br />Der Lord liebt einen beschäftigten Mann. Nicht vertrauen whitey. Sehen ein Doktor und erhalten gereinigt es.<br /><br />"You're a towel!" - Towelie

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why John Densmore don't play the drum ? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    EVH: Definitely. Playing guitar was my sanctuary. It was the one place I could go to if I got fucked around by a girlfriend, or anyone else, for that matter. It still is. If there’s something I can’t deal with, I can just spend hours playing. It’s a God-given gift – I certainly don’t know where the ideas come from. They’re obviously given to you, and you have to keep your fingers moving and your mind quiet. I try my best to not think about thinking, so I can just let it flow. Because when I start thinking, forget it. <br />So....why he isn't playing guitar ? ? ?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Alles mit ze exception of III
    Favorite VH Song

Alles mit ze exception of III
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sehr gutt find, Schultzy!
    John Densmore hast eine degenerative disease of some kind zat keeps him from playing zee drums anymore.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fraulines und Kinder First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Panzer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ja! He has tinnitus und Stewart Copeland ( ex - Police drummer) will be on drums.
    Musical equipment I own dat legitimizes mein post. Tuba, clarinet, und electric glockenspiel.<br />Der Lord liebt einen beschäftigten Mann. Nicht vertrauen whitey. Sehen ein Doktor und erhalten gereinigt es.<br /><br />"You're a towel!" - Towelie

Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Ray is in it for the money.
    The question is not, "Does love exist?"
    But when she leaves, where she goes?
    I got the feelin' she don't know either
    Wait like the wind, watch where she blows

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

On the eve of a February 7th Doors reunion show in Los Angeles -- with former Cult frontman Ian Astbury sitting in for the late Jim Morrison and former Police drummer Stewart Copeland playing for John Densmore -- Densmore filed a legal action against the band hoping to convince the group to alter its name.
    The drummer charges the remaining members, keyboardist Ray Manzarek and guitarist Robbie Krieger, along with Astbury and Copeland, of breach of contract, trademark infringement and unfair competition. Densmore says he has no problem with his former band mates touring together and playing Doors material, but he claims that using the Doors name and logo has caused confusion.

"The Doors are Jim, John, Ray and Robbie," Densmore says. "I don't care if they call themselves 'former members of the Doors,' 'the Hinges' or 'the Windows.' I just want clarity. I don't want deception."

According to Densmore, he contacted Krieger and asked him to change the name, and though the guitarist agreed, the band only tweaked its handle. "I've had to give them a wakeup call," Densmore says. "I'm not after money. I could have had an injunction and stopped the concert. The [Morrison] estate and I could have said give us half the money. The claim is written lightly. I didn't write injunction. If they don't make it real clear, I don't know, then we'll get heavier."

After a three-decade break prompted by Morrison's death in 1971, Manzarek, Densmore and Krieger performed with a rotating group of singers including Astbury, Scott Stapp and Scott Weiland at a taping of VH1's Storytellers in 2001.

Then, last September, the remaining Doors took the stage of the House of Blues in Los Angeles for what was initially to be a one-off gig with Astbury singing. Densmore passed on the event, and Copeland filled his seat for that performance and a subsequent appearance. Though Densmore's absence was initially attributed to tinnitus, a hearing affliction, he said his ears were better at that point, but he didn't feel comfortable doing a Doors show without Morrison.

Following the House of Blues performance, talk turned to a possible 2003 tour and a new album. "The tragedy and loss of Jim Morrison weighs heavily on all of us," Manzarek said at the time, "but this ain't no tribute band." The band continued to play as the Doors, even recently appearing on The Tonight Show, introduced by Jay Leno as "the Doors." The band did recently tweak the name to "Doors for the 21st Century," but Densmore says his former mates are using the iconic font from the first album, and that the "for the 21st Century" tends to be undetectable in any promotional materials.

Densmore saw the VH1 show as an enjoyable opportunity to reheat the Doors classic songs, as well as honoring Morrison. "No disrespect to Ian and Stewart," he says, "these are great musicians. But that show made sense to me: Six guys taking turns singing as a tribute to Jim. But one guy doing the whole night filling Jim's leather pants? Sorry. There's Doors cover bands in every major city."

Despite Morrison's charismatic role as frontman, the band was hatched with each member holding an equal share, a system that continued after his death, with estate (and that of his wife Pamela Courson) filling one-fourth of the business. "It's all completely four parts, equal," Densmore says. "It's a sweet little democracy that Jim orchestrated with no lawyers, in a garage in Venice, California. And he included veto power in case anybody didn't like what went down. I'm just trying to keep the integrity of what we did a long time ago."

Another point of contention is that Densmore has been playing with a new jazz ensemble, Tribal Jazz, and feels his reputation as a drummer has been undermined by an implied expendability due to the Doors touring without him. "The performances and advertising by the defendants as the Doors has resulted in substantial confusion to fans," read the complaint filed by his attorney, Jerome Mandel. "That there has been a drummer playing with that band who is not John Densmore has minimized and diminished the reputation and stature of Densmore by causing people to believe that he was not, and is not, an integral and respected part of the Doors."

Densmore will actually be playing with Tribal Jazz over the weekend at a benefit for the Arts, to help restore music programs in Los Angeles schools. The band plans to release an album on Hidden Beach over the summer. "I mouthed off about being a jazz drummer before the Doors," he says, "but I never put my sticks where my mouth is."

The Doors for the 21st Century were not available for comment at press time.

ANDREW DANSBY

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 AM
    Liked 1,461 Times in 897 Posts

Hey, if the fans like it who cares if the name is different. I'm glad that they are distinguishing between old and new considering it's only half of the original band.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie\'s cryin\', Dreams, Right now
    Last Online

02.27.07 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

John Densmore - what a fuckin' wet blanket. If he didn't want a part of it, what does he fuckin' care??