Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

02.01.07 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time, but Dr. J is my favorite. So when it comes to music, I use the same argument. The greatest songs of all time have got to include the monster-riffing Iron Man, and the innovative Dazed and Confused. They're great becuase of their creativness, innovation, and originality. My favorite songs, though, are Ice Cream Man, More than a Feelin', Don't Stop Belivin', and Never Let You Go-all of these are considerably less revolutionary, but make my hairs stand up more than the greatest.

What do you consider the greatest songs, and what are your favorites? Is there a differnce in your book?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Greatest - Voodoo Chile Jimi Hendrix major innovation

Favorite - Hot for Teacher
    I also like some of Duran Duran's earlier stuff. It was pretty innovative at the time with the meshing of their music with their videos. Of course they coudn't replicate the videos in concert, and were consequently burned for it... I wouldn't consider Iron Man one of the greats though, but I am sure someone will slam me as a pussy because I listed Duran Duran. Boston was pretty innovative in that they could bring their sound from the albums alive on the stage. That always amazed me, especially compared to other bands... [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

[ November 13, 2002, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

greatest, stairway to heaven
    fave, stairway to heaven. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

however...
    greatest, led zeppelin
    fave, van halen

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

hmmm, cool thread.

Song:
    Favorite-Machine Gun (Hendrix)
    Greatest-Wont Get Fooled Again
    [Sometimes I swap these two, I just think there superiour song's when compared to anything else that's played on the radio]

Album:
    Favorite-Back In Black
    Greatest-Physical Grafitti
    [Back In Black is just a given for me, played at every party when I was growing up. Physical Grafitti is just an amazing ROCK album, it's just all over the map, and it has one of the best rock tunes ever written in Kashmir (but it's played way to much these days), I can always listen to both of these albums, that's saying something for me.

Band:
    Favorite-Van Halen (Greatest American Band)
    Greatest-The Who
    [Van Halen goes without saying, but The Who was just so unique, nobody ever bothered to try and sound like The Who. Of the "Big Three" I think it works like this. The Beatles, started it all. The Stones, did everything the Beatles did, but six months later and half as good. The Who, they were there own animal, and they have tons of great tunes that sound like nothing else ever written, trail blazer's like The Beatles with allot more balls in there music.]

Just my thoughts.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by willy4pres:
    Of the "Big Three" I think it works like this. The Beatles, started it all. The Stones, did everything the Beatles did, but six months later and half as good. The Who, they were there own animal, and they have tons of great tunes that sound like nothing else ever written, trail blazer's like The Beatles with allot more balls in there music.
    Just my thoughts.
    I'd have to agree on that [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Well written [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a delightful thread heh.

Let's see...

Song:
    Favorite: God Only Knows, Beach Boys - This Beach Boys song has to be my favorite ever. I'm not a sap for ballads, but this is the absolutely my favorite ever.
    Greatest: A Day In The Life, Beatles - Everytime I hear this song, I think of how great the Beatles really were at their craft. Maybe the greatest closer on an album ever, and maybe the greatest song from the greatest band ever.

Album:

Favorite: Pet Sounds, Beach Boys - Brian Wilson tapped his emotions for this album, and it works on every level. The musicianship is top-notch, as well as the songwriting. The harmonies are the best that I've ever heard.
    Greatest: Pet Sounds, Beach Boys - The only album to ever have a box set made specifically for that album. Also, I would venture to say that 80-90% of producers owe something to Mr. Wilson just for releasing this album, including George Martin.

Band:

Favorite: Beach Boys - I love the way Wilson could write a tune. He always injected his own personal feelings in his songs to an almost embarrassing level, either on a musical or lyrical context, or both. Definately the greatest band from America, in both longevity and musical contribution.
    Greatest: The Beatles - They are my 2nd favorite band. Nobody approached them in terms of popularity (except maybe Presley), and few approached them in terms of quality and style. The only band I know that could release new material 40 years after their debut and still go multi platinum.

[ November 15, 2002, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: SMiLEwBRiAN ]
    "Existence is meaningless and life is absurd, so wipe that smile off your face."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

02.01.07 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok, I already did songs, here's some more stuff:

GREATEST BAND--I believe they have more talent at playing their instruments, than any other band. Eddie needs no explanation, but I believe that Mike and Al are in the top five, each, at their own instruments (although sometimes overlooked because they each go the easy route on occasion-playing a single bass note, or the typical drum rhythm). People tell me that I say Van Halen's the greatest because I like them so much. I tell them that I love Van Halen because they're so great.
    FAVORITE BAND--Journey. They're actually pretty good, too, but I love them for their catchy tunes, and nice mix of rock, soft rock, and hard rock. I'm a big arena rock guy. VH, Boston, and Ratt are all a close second to Journey.

GREATEST ALBUM--Black Sabbath's Paranoid is probably my pick for greatest hard-rock album (although I'm sure there are some non-hard rock albums that are as good, but I'm not all that knowledgable). Every song, except for Planet Caravan, is totally killer. "'lectric funeral, 'lectric funeral...," "Push the needle in...," "Now in darkness, world stops turning..." I love this album! I'm sure there are some Beatles albums that could rank up there, as well as some Zep, but I don't own any full albums from any of them, just individual songs. VH has some great ones, but only the first one can really rank among the greatest all time since it set the standard that the others lived up to. I'd probably put VH I as the second greatest album of all time. If it had come before Paranoid, it would be the greatest, but Paranoid was just so heavy so early on, a good 7 or 8 years before VH, that they get top nod.

FAVORITE ALBUM(S)--Ok, here goes: Infinity-Journey, Escape-Journey, Boston-Boston, VH-1984, Psychotic Supper-Tesla, Dancing Undercover-Ratt, Fair Warning-VH, VH I-VH. Each one of these albums has had a lasting impact on me, and I still love them now, as much as I did when I first heard them (more than I can say for former, and short-lived favorites like Slipper When Wet, and Hysteria). That's about it, for now.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Humans Being
    Last Online

10.26.13 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Greatest Song: U2--One
    Favorite Song: Pearl Jam--Once

Greatest Band: Beatles
    Favorite Band: Dave Matthews Band (was VH until they turned their backs on the fans)

Greatest Album: Pink Floyd--Dark Side
    Favorite Album: U2--Achtung Baby
    Pick up the fucking phone Eddie and call someone!!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

These are always hard questions, but let me throw in my $.02 anyway:

Greatest Band: The Beatles. Started as a simple pop band but grew into so much more, all in the space of 8 years. Just play all 13 of their albums from end to end and listen to the music evolve! This at a time when artists were expected to have at least one album out every year, not every three years as it is today. True, they didn't tour the last few years of their career, but they still had a fair amount of chaos to deal with (their own record company and associated businesses, death of their manager, solo work and guest appearances, marriages, kids, divorces, Yoko...) and still managed to put out some of their best stuff (and the best of all time). And for all those artistes out there today complaining that Napster (and it's kin) are taking away from record sales, how come the Beatles can release an album of songs that practically anybody that's ever liked the Beatles already has and it can still top the charts?
    Favourite Band: As much as I like the Beatles (and a host of other bands), it always seems to come back to a group of lads from their neighbouring island - U2. Maybe it's the fact that I have had the opportunity to go to three concerts, own concert videos and can still anticipate new music every few years. In my opinion, they could hold a place as big as the Beatles in all time music history, but that won't be decided until they retire - and hopefully that won't be for awhile.

Favorite/Best album: - this one's harder for me to split as I'm not the type to play even the albums I like a lot over and over. But some of the albums that I recognise as the greatest are:
    The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - amazing recording made even more amazing in the fact that they didn't have all the studio advantages artists enjoy today.
    The Eagles - Hotel California - if you don't feel like you've taken a trip to the dark side of California after you've listened to this album, it sure as hell isn't the Eagles fault.
    U2 - The Joshua Tree - one of the most emotional albums of all time.
    U2 - Achtung Baby - reinventing themselves 4 years later, the hits just kept on coming and they stuck around!

Best/Favourite Hard Rock Band: Well, that's easy - Van Halen! They showed that hard rock doesn't have to be about demons and wizards and shit like that, and that it can be melodic too! (I'm talking about the Dave years, too!)

[ November 15, 2002, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: billy007 ]