Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Mean Street, Jump, Feels So Good, The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is from Deep Purple's official website:

"I should inform you that Jon has told us he plans to retire from active participation in Deep Purple. We wish him the best. The moment cannot pass without a personal comment. It is sad that Jon has come to this difficult decision but every one of us respects his right to determine his own life. I have learned so much from him that I could not possibly do him justice by attempting to quantify it. Don Airey will be our keyboard player from now on and we welcome him to the band. - Roger Glover"
    Too bad... Jon Lord is great.

But at least they got a capable replacement in Don Airey. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

Originally posted by Atomic Punk DLR:
    This is from Deep Purple's official website:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />"I should inform you that Jon has told us he plans to retire from active participation in Deep Purple. We wish him the best. The moment cannot pass without a personal comment. It is sad that Jon has come to this difficult decision but every one of us respects his right to determine his own life. I have learned so much from him that I could not possibly do him justice by attempting to quantify it. Don Airey will be our keyboard player from now on and we welcome him to the band. - Roger Glover"
    Too bad... Jon Lord is great.

But at least they got a capable replacement in Don Airey. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Bummer, Lord is a great keyboard player. Good luck to him.

Wow, I haven't heard Airey's name in like 10 years.
    M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

Originally posted by BEZEK KNOWS BEST:
    like who gives a shit, even I played drums in that band for a few months

Deep Purple = 2986 members in the band in the last 30 years
    Nice reply.

I do give a shit when it's one of the original members.
    M*U*L*E

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

damm that band is still around ?!?!?!?

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 3
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Jebe Ga"

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by BEZEK KNOWS BEST:

LOL, Damn, that was actually funny for once, Bezek.

Actually, doesn't this leave Ian Paice as the only original member? Or is he already gone too?

I stopped following Joke Purple some time ago.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FORD:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BEZEK KNOWS BEST:

LOL, Damn, that was actually funny for once, Bezek.

Actually, doesn't this leave Ian Paice as the only original member? Or is he already gone too?

I stopped following Joke Purple some time ago.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah... Paicey is still in. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

The new Deep Purple Mk8 line-up is Don Airey, Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, Steve Morse and Ian Paice.
    I'm a Dirty-Faced Kid... so could some cute female do me the favor and lick me clean, please?!<br /><br />"Nobody rules these streets at night but me... the ATOMIC PUNK!" - DLR (1978)<br /><br />"This must be just like living in paradise... and I don't wanna go home" - DLR (1988)<br /><br />"So put it off until judgment day... I bear the cross on judgment day" - Sammy Hagar (1991)<br /><br />Obey the DFK!<br /><br /><b>IF YOU'RE DFK... YOU'RE DFK 4 LIFE!</b>

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Huh? Ritchie Blackmore isn't in Deep Purple? I thought that was his band. Oh well, I don't know much about DP except their lineup and music from the 70's.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dan Halen:
    Huh? Ritchie Blackmore isn't in Deep Purple? I thought that was his band. Oh well, I don't know much about DP except their lineup and music from the 70's.
    Ritchie quit once again in 1994, Dan... just before the band had to make commitments in Japan.

So they brought Joe Satriani in to complete the tour and Steve Morse became a permanent member afterwards. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

As for Ritchie... well... he reformed a new version of Rainbow for some time... resulting in 1995's Stranger In Us All album.

Since then he has however made more medieval-style music with his fiancée Candice Night. Their band is entitled... tah dah... pretty creative... Blackmore's Night.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

Originally posted by FORD:
    How the fuck can they claim to be the same band when only the drummer remains??
    Isn't Roger Glover an original member???

Now, I think I'll dig out my Machine Head album and remember the real Deep Purple [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    After reading this thread yesterday I had to whip out my Made In Japan (Remastered) disc and give it listen, it's been awhile.
    M*U*L*E

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know what to make of this, Purple is my favourite band. Back in the early 90s I was ready to give up on them - first they hired Joe Lynn Turner to replace Gillan, then they got Gillan back and recorded a horrible album (The Battle Rages On). The subsequent tour wasn't much better - I saw them about 2 weeks before Blackmore left, he didn't acknowledge Gillan the whole night. A few days later he threw a tantrum in Birmingham when they were recording a DVD. My favourite guitar player, but good riddance when he went off to play with the fairies in the ridiculous Blackmores' Night.

It seemed like the end, but about 6 months later I was in the right place at the right time and saw them with Satriani. It was like a band reborn, they were having fun - Paice looked like he had the weight of the world lifted from his shoulders, no more of the"drum Machine" persona that he'd had since Perfect Strangers. Then Steve Morse joined, of course it sounded different - thank god, they didn't get Malmsteen or some other Blackmore clone, but it still had the Purple spirit, great musicians playing rock'n'roll with a sense of humour and freedom. Saw that line up 9 times and they rocked each time.

So now fast forward to 2002. Jon missed a few shows last year for knee surgery, but the band kept up a relentless touring pace. Since Morse joined they probably play more gigs in the average year than the whole 84-93 period. Then they cancel a UK tour halfway through when Gillan (and the others) get serious flu. Then suddenly Jon is gone with no official announcement - learning something from VH as far as PR. Probably not suprising that he wants to retire, the guy looks *really* old in pix from 2002 shows, has screwed up knees and has been more and more subdued in playing in recent years.

I'll certainly see them in the summer when they tour with Dio and the Scorpions. Don Airey is more than capable as a keyboard player according to most reviews I've read - Gillan, Glover and Paice are still there from the classic line up (does anyone seriously care about Evans and Simper? Thought not). Morse/Airey is not where I ever expected DP to finish up - we'll soon see how they sound. I'm sure they're at least still the world's best Deep Purple tribute band
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How the fuck can they claim to be the same band when only the drummer remains??

Paice is good, but he's not exactly a Neil Peart type drummer that owns the sound of the band.

Call it a day, guys. Really.

Now, I think I'll dig out my Machine Head album and remember the real Deep Purple [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You guys are very hard on DP.
    I think that Morse if doing an amazing job with DP, I absolutely love their two last albums (Purpendicular and Abandon), and have them on heavy rotation all the time.

As for Blackmore, he can go fuck himself. He ruined a perfectly good evening for me when I went to see DP in concert ten years ago. He was playing like shot, and was an embarassment for the band that night.

I will miss John Lord's presence and sound very much.
    Could someone tell me where Don Airey comes from?
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Canyon Carver:
    You guys are very hard on DP.
    I think that Morse if doing an amazing job with DP, I absolutely love their two last albums (Purpendicular and Abandon), and have them on heavy rotation all the time.

As for Blackmore, he can go fuck himself. He ruined a perfectly good evening for me when I went to see DP in concert ten years ago. He was playing like shot, and was an embarassment for the band that night.

I will miss John Lord's presence and sound very much.
    Could someone tell me where Don Airey comes from?
    Don Airey is fab. He's worked with lotsa amazing musicians and bands.

For instance, he was the keyboardist in Rainbow from 1979 to 1981, he played with Ozzy for some time during the 80's and he also played all the keyboard parts on Whitesnake's multi-platinum selling 1987 album too.

Oh yeah... and Airey also replaced Lord on the last DP tour.

Guess that's why they picked him. He's an excellent keyboard player and already familiar with Lord's parts. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

It's too bad that DP keeps losing members, but at least they are still playing, unlike VH. [img]redface.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!