Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Singer Warren Zevon Terminally Ill
    by Josh Grossberg
    Sep 12, 2002, 10:15 AM PT

Rock's excitable boy Warren Zevon has announced some disheartening news.

The satirical singer-songwriter, best known for his hit 1978 Halloween anthem "Werewolves of London," says he has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.

In a statement, the publicist for the 55-year-old Zevon says he was informed last month that the disease has progressed to an untreatable stage. No word on how long Zevon is expected to live, but the musician has dedicated his remaining days to spending time with his children and writing and recording as many songs as possible until he is no longer able.

Still, his impending mortality hasn't dulled Zevon's trademark wicked humor.

"I'm okay with it, but it'll be a drag if I don't make it till the next James Bond movie comes out," he says.

A recovering alcoholic, the rocker has long understood the inherent hazards of leading a rock 'n' roll lifestyle, documenting as much on such albums as 1991's Mr. Bad Example, 2000's Life'll Kill Ya and the rocking My Ride's Here, released in the spring.

"If you're lucky, people like something you do early and something you do just before you drop dead. That's as many pats on the back as you should expect," Zevon once told Entertainment Weekly.

Featuring contributions from Irish poet Paul Muldoon, writers Hunter S. Thompson and Carl Hiaasen and a cameo by David Letterman, My Ride's Here marked a comeback of sorts for Zevon, whose darkly comic songs often deal with tragedy (such as "I Was in the House When the House Burned Down") and have earned him a cultish fan base that includes several musicians.

After a stint as a session player and pianist for the Everly Brothers, Zevon first turned heads with his lauded 1976 self-titled release, produced by pal Jackson Browne. But he didn't truly hit the big time until 1978's follow-up Excitable Boy, which spawned the classic piano-driven ditty "Werewolves of London," as well as two of his other best-known tracks, the title cut and "Lawyers, Guns and Money."

Although those tracks remain staples of classic rock radio, Zevon never repeated that initial commercial success. Over the last two decades, his work was off the mainstream radar, despite critical plaudits and support from his peers. He released six albums in the '80s, including 1987's Sentimental Hygiene backed by members of R.E.M. and four more in the '90s.

Zevon also has flirted with Hollywood. He had a cameo in the 1988 John Hughes comedy She's Having a Baby, served as a fill-in bandleader on Letterman's Late Show, had a small role in the Dwight Yoakam-directed western South of Heaven, West of Hell and contributed several songs to soundtracks, including the themes to the TV series TekWar and the film Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead.

A new greatest-hits package, Genius: The Best of Warren Zevon, is due October 15 from Rhino Records.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw this in the news yesterday. This truly is sad news. He is an underrated singer/writer/and performer.
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV