Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Is there anyone here who likes death metal or black metal? I like 'em both, although they are not my first choice of music that I enjoy.

Here are the DM/BM albums that I love:
    Antestor - "The Return Of The Black Death" (frostbitten atmospheric black metal from the Norway; out-of-print, but available on KaZaA)
    Emperor - "Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire And Demise" (their stellar final album)
    Kekal - "The Painful Experience" (from Indonesia; they have a Rush-like progressive streak)
    Lengsel - "Solace" (their only CD)
    Opeth - "Blackwater Park" (Sweden's masters of black/prog...aww, they just can't be defined)
    Slechtvalk - "The War That Plagues The Lands" (new October release...most excellent)

Metal Marc

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

POUND CAKE
    Last Online

05.08.08 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't like that stuff but my cousin's 14 year old son does. Right now he's into a terrible band called "Cannibal Corpse". Very violent music. I'd be more than a little worried if he were my son!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Gotta agree, I don't like this form of music. People can listen to what they want, but personally I think it sucks. The messages some of these bands relay to our youth is scary.

On a side note remember when bands like AC/DC, Crue, and Ozzy were the devil. Man what 20 years can do. They all seem rather mild now.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I've heard of Death Metal, the music is usually interesting but the vocals almost always suck. Sounds like they gargle with razor blades. Still, I like it better than most rap.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I feel so sheltered... I never heard of Death Metal [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Hey, ouncie33 & limecuda...that's cool that you don't like death or black metal; I was kinda hoping for responses from someone who liked the stuff. I guess any response is better than none, though.

Most death and black metal are worthless, lyrically speaking. Being a father of two children I am very discriminating as far as what I listen to. The death metal bands I listen to are not gory or Satanic bands; in fact, I listen to mostly Christian death/black metal bands. I agree that most of these bands are sending dangerous, nihilistic messages to young people. But isn't it just as bad to embrace a band that's either coked out of it's head or drunk all the time?

Diver Down NJ...I agree with you that the music is interesting. The music is very interesting and very challenging, both listening to and playing. In fact, there are guys playing DM/BM that could give King Edward a run for his money.

Later on...
    Metal Marc

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

POUND CAKE
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My problem with DM bands is why they sing (scream actually) about such dark aweful things. Cannibal Corpse has a song called "Orgasm Through Torture". Why would they sing about something so terrible. The reality is that there are some really sick people in the world that get off sexually by torture and murder. I don't know why a band would be compelled to write a song about it, just as I don't know why my cousin's son would be compelled to listen to it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

That is exactly my problem with most death metal bands, particularly American bands: the lyrics are replete with gore and Satanism or occultism. I have to be selective with what I listen to. Although I do like - not love - Cannibal Corpse's style I detest their lyrics and therefore wouldn't even give them a quarter if they asked for it. I think that the guys in CC are scum.

American death & black metal are the lowest common denominators as far as these styles are concerned. They are the most vile bands there are. I prefer the European bands; all the bands I listed above are from Scandanavia and all but two of them are Christian bands. None of them are gore-obsessed or "occult-oriented".

Death and black metal are not my favorite music styles but they offer me something that I don't always get from some other music styles. Creativity runs pretty high in these two genres. The song structures are interesting and at times complex and challenging. Often the music has some very atmospheric segments that almost transport you. There are melodies and clean vocals and often folk instruments and even orchestration find their way into the songs.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    I like the riffs on alot of Death Metal stuff but as with other posters here, the vocals is where I usually lose it. Not so much the message because I usually can't decipher a message. I just don't get off on the screaming. I'm a big Megadeth fan and I have a tribute CD, Megaded, done by death metal bands. As long as they stay close to the original versions it's pretty cool. When they start butchering the vocals, I usually hit the skip button. Still, I'd rather listen to 24 hours of death metal than 1 hour of rap. But that's just me.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

POUND CAKE
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Elwood P.:
    I like the riffs on alot of Death Metal stuff but as with other posters here, the vocals is where I usually lose it. Not so much the message because I usually can't decipher a message. I just don't get off on the screaming. I'm a big Megadeth fan and I have a tribute CD, Megaded, done by death metal bands. As long as they stay close to the original versions it's pretty cool. When they start butchering the vocals, I usually hit the skip button. Still, I'd rather listen to 24 hours of death metal than 1 hour of rap. But that's just me.
    Actually, I'm with you. Some of the riffs are pretty cool. But why can't these bands leave them as rifts? When they start singing (I mean screaming) about about blood and guts and torture, that's where they lose me.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Christinan Death Metal bands?? Sorry, that makes me laugh a bit. I REALIZE they DO exist, I've even heard some of their music before...I just find the notion of CHRISTIAN Death Metal kinda funny....

Kinda the same sorta thing as MILITARY INTELLIGENCE. Just sounds funny that's all!
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by BrokenCombs:
    Christinan Death Metal bands?? Sorry, that makes me laugh a bit. I REALIZE they DO exist, I've even heard some of their music before...I just find the notion of CHRISTIAN Death Metal kinda funny....

Kinda the same sorta thing as MILITARY INTELLIGENCE. Just sounds funny that's all!
    I thought he meant like the band Christian Death [img]redface.gif[/img]

I like:

Cadaver Inc.
    In Flames
    Necrophagia
    (old school) Sepultura
    Napalm Death (if they're still considered death)

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh, and Celtic Frost
    -edit- and Dimmu Borgir

[ October 04, 2002, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Shiro ]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Metal Marc:
    I listen to mostly Christian death/black metal bands.
    Christian death metal...isn't that an oxymoron?
    "Some men are born to greatness, some women have greatness thrust up in them."<br /> <br />Diamond Dave

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Crazy from the Hemp:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
    Christian death metal...isn't that an oxymoron?[/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]That's what I was trying to say earlier... I dunno.... Christian Death Metal Band sounds about as ridiculous as a White Power Rap Group. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV