Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Considered two of the best Metal debuts in history,and yes i agree with whoever said that but the hardest decision is...which one is the better? its definitely hard picking songs like 'Dazed And Confused','Communication Breakdown',and'Babe,Im Gonna Leave you' against other classics like 'Eruption','Ain't Talkin''Bout Love','I'm The One',and 'On Fire'.I mean they both match up so well in skill,and lead singers.I'll pick Van Halen because that thing changed my life man,but the two are GOLD.So what do u think?
    The question is not, "Does love exist?"
    But when she leaves, where she goes?
    I got the feelin' she don't know either
    Wait like the wind, watch where she blows

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by VanHalenMetallica:
    Considered two of the best Metal debuts in history,and yes i agree with whoever said that but the hardest decision is...which one is the better? its definitely hard picking songs like 'Dazed And Confused','Communication Breakdown',and'Babe,Im Gonna Leave you' against other classics like 'Eruption','Ain't Talkin''Bout Love','I'm The One',and 'On Fire'.I mean they both match up so well in skill,and lead singers.I'll pick Van Halen because that thing changed my life man,but the two are GOLD.So what do u think?
    Night and day, my man. Zep was revolutionary with their first album, VH was evolutionary [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away, 5150, Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's too tough to call, IMHO. EVH and Jimmy Page have very different styles, though both are incredible musicians. On skins, I think Bonham may have an edge on AVH. On bass, I think John Paul Jones can definitely outperform Michael Anthony (though he doesn't have Mike's backing vocals). As far as frontman? I think Robert Plant, DLR, and SH have very different styles and bring something very different to their respective group. I wouldn't say that either of the three have the greatest voice in rock music, but I'll take Robert Plant's voice over Diamond Dave's any day.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.13.15 @ 11:52 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

VH easily IMO. I don't have much love for Led Zep, and like I just said, VH is easily better IMO. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

~5150~
    The song ain't dirty it's really just the way we sing it...

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

I'd have to give the nod to Van Halen. Led Zeppelin is a great album, but I don't think it's their best and I don't think it stands out from its peers the same way that Van Halen does. I may be biased, because I wasn't rockin' yet in 1969, but I just can't imagine Led Zeppelin sticking out all that much from whatever groups like Cream, the Jimi Hendrix Experience or Black Sabbath were doing at the time, while the impact Van Halen had on me in 1979 (hey, I was a year late to the party) still holds and that "brown sound" still stands as an original sound even today.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

02.01.07 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That is a tough choice. I consider VH the greatest band of all time with Zep second. I think that VH has a far better guitarist (Page was amazing in his time, but Eddie is amazing in any time) and lead singer (Dave can't really sing as well as Plant, but his voice is so original-a lounge singer fronting a hard rock band), and I think that bass and drums can go either way. So, I'd have to take VH's first album over Zep's first, especially since Zep is so blues and they're songs are sometimes way too long. Dazed and Confused, though, is a totally killer song. But, VH I is better.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is a great question. Thanx to VHMet for posing it...

- I love both debut records. I think both debut records blew people's minds, but for different reasons:

*On 'Led Zeppelin' it was the previously-unheard in-your-face production (only the Cream albums were comparable, and even then just barely so...), and the daring selection of metallic and acoustic material on the same album

*On 'Van Halen' it was Edward Van Halen, pure and simple. Roth's incredible range and off-the-wall showmanship played a distant - but still noteworthy - second fiddle

- While I wasn't around to appreciate either album when they were released, I do have an understanding of the reception each got from the public, the music press, and the contemporary music community:

*'Led Zeppelin' got panned for being "too contrived". Critics claimed that it was a capitalistic knock-off of the Cream and solo Jeff Beck sound. Thank the man upstairs that time has proven those idiots dead wrong. 'Led Zeppelin' continues to this day to sell better than 95+% of all the albums released before 1970, and with the exception of 'Led Zeppelin II' and anything released by the Beatles, I think it's safe to say that 'Led Zeppelin' would be the top-selling album of the 2000's that was released prior to 1970. With all due respect, Cream and pre-1970 Jeff Beck releases can't hold a candle to this record

*'Van Halen' didn't get the "too contrived" knock for one simple reason: Edward Van Halen. Nobody knew what to make of this guy! All the guitar gods that came along between the death of Hendrix and the release of this album were either short-lived and easily dated (Robin Trower, Peter Frampton - I'm stretching by calling the guy a 'god'), or not commercial enough at the time for a broad and/or non-musician audience (Buck Dharma, Ronnie Montrose - though to this day I still can't understand why this was the case with Ronnie...), or was too much of a one-man-show (Michael Schenker, Tommy Bolin). 'Van Halen' didn't suffer from any of these knocks coming out of the gate. The (brown) sound came out of nowhere (courtesy of Ted); there were covers and doo-wop and ballads and metal and ALL AROUND SOLID & DYNAMIC SONGWRITING to please EVERYONE; and a solid backing band with exceptional lead & backing vocals. The usual moron critics with their heads collectively wedged in the ass-crack of the sound contemporary to the late '70s hemmed and hawed about metal being metal being metal being metal, but as a pre-teen in the early '80s, everywhere I looked I saw VH graffiti. As I recall, it took a mere 2 years for Van Halen to take over the world (or at least California...). Having 'Van Halen' for a debut record contributed heavily to said quick-time world domination

- So which do I personally like BETTER? I'd have to say 'Van Halen'. Unlike 'Led Zeppelin', nothing on 'VH' ever sounds dated. For me, 'Led Zeppelin' is a mood record, and when I'm in the right mood, it is a spectacular listen, but I will regularly change the station for more than half the songs when I encounter them on the radio. But 'Van Halen' for me is an anytime record. I can hear all but maybe one or two songs on the radio and enjoy it at that moment. To me, that's the edge.

Without knowing specifically, I'd say 'Led Zeppelin' barely makes my all-time favorite Top 30 albums, while 'Van Halen' falls somewhere around a rank of 20.

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

...as a postscript, I should note that between the two BANDS, there is no contesting that Led Zeppelin contributed far more to the history of rock than Van Halen. I love both of these bands with a passion (enough to flog my voice to death singing a bunch of both bands' songs [img]smile.gif[/img] ), but I couldn't imagine who I would be today if there had never been a Led Zeppelin.

Long Live Van Halen

Long Live Led Zeppelin

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

POUND CAKE
    Last Online

05.08.08 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm an oddball I guess because I can't stand Led Zeppelin. I know most people love them. My vote goes for VH.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the thread could also go into a discussion of are VH and Zep "metal" or "hard rock?" i say they're hard rock...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love Van Halen more than any other band out there. Having said that, if you talk about influence, impact, and overall success, Led Zeppelin certainly gets the nod for me.

[ October 09, 2002, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: BrokenCombs ]
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think that VH's debut was more groundbreaking, influential, has many classic songs, and also introduced Eddie's technique and "Erutpion" was mind-blowing. Zeppelin's first album was also very influential, but I think overall VH gets the nod.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Van Halen is superior to Led Zeppelin in every way that I can think of!

Although, I don't think you can compare the lyrics in both bands because they are totally different.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

The first Led Zeppelin album definately isn't as good as VH1 either. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!