"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From the newswire about last night's Who concert:

The Who Play On, Four Days After Bassist's Death
    Tue Jul 2, 4:35 AM ET
    By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Meet the new band, the same as the old band.

Or maybe not. Four days after the death of bass player John Entwistle, the two surviving members of British rock band the Who kicked off their previously planned North American tour in front of 18,000 fans at the historic Hollywood Bowl on Monday.

While some people debated the propriety of playing so soon after the death, a surprisingly lighthearted Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend got down to business, grinding out two hours of classic material from three decades' worth of albums.

"Tonight, we play for John Entwistle," said vocalist Daltrey, three songs into the set. "He's the true spirit of rock 'n' roll, and he lives on in all the music we play."

Standing in for Entwistle was Welsh session musician Pino Palladino, who had undergone two intensive days' of rehearsals after the band announced on Friday that its three-month tour would go on as a "tribute ... to an irreplaceable friend."

Just the day before, Entwistle's body had been found in a Las Vegas hotel, where the tour was set to begin. Entwistle, 57, suffered an apparent heart attack, although autopsy results have not been published pending toxicology tests.

The decision to tour provoked disbelief in some quarters.

"It's business -- and I underline the word 'business' -- as usual," a disgusted Jim Ladd, a veteran Los Angeles radio personality, said on his broadcast Monday night.

Guitarist Townshend intimated as much on his Web site last Saturday when he wrote, "I simply believe we have a duty to go on, to ourselves, ticket buyers, staff, promoters, big and little people."

The concert began on a poignant note as Daltrey and guitarist Townshend sauntered onto the stage and hugged each other. Both were dressed in black, as was a stationary Palladino who blended into the speaker stack behind him.

The Who launched into three early hits, "I Can't Explain," "Substitute" and "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere." Townshend, in black sunglasses, furiously attacked his red Fender guitar.

The ensemble was rounded out by drummer Zak Starkey, keyboardist John "Rabbit" Bundrick, and Townshend's youngest brother, Simon, on acoustic guitar and backing vocals. Original drummer Keith Moon died of an accidental overdose of sedatives in 1978.

Townshend lightened the mood a few songs later when he compared the Bowl's white shell-like stage to a "white vagina," while the giant spheres suspended from the ceiling looked like a "testicle factory."

While noting the absence of Entwistle's "huge harmonic noise," he congratulated Palladino on playing well anyway.

"For fans that have followed us for many years, this is gonna be very difficult," Townshend said. "We understand. We're not pretending that nothing's happened."

But he said Los Angeles was a great place to kick off the tour, joking that it was "full of emptiness, deep rivers of shallow nothingness."

"I think you know, probably more than anybody what the show business side of all this stuff is, and we do feel comfortable to be here tonight."

Other songs on the set list included "Who Are You," "Baba O'Riley," "Eminence Front," "Won't Get Fooled Again," "Love, Reign O'er Me," "The Kids Are Alright," the 1981 rarity "Another Tricky Day" and their 1965 anthem "My Generation."

After the encore, a suite of tunes from the 1969 "Tommy" rock opera, Townshend and Daltrey clutched bouquets of flowers and saluted photos of Entwistle on the giant video screens that flanked the stage. A male fan ran up and hugged a compliant Townshend.

"Live every moment of your lives," Daltrey told the crowd before Townshend dragged him off, all the guitars intact.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here is a setlist from Velvetrope.com:

CAN'T EXPLAIN
    SUBSTITUTE
    ANYWAY, ANYWHERE
    (ROGER SPEAKS OF JOHN)
    WHO ARE YOU
    (PETE INTRODUCES PINO AND BROTHER SIMON)
    ANOTHER TRICKY DAY (ROGER FORGETS WORDS AND VERSE)
    (PETE MENTIONS THE SMELL OF ALL THE "REFER" IN THE AIR - STARTS JOKING THE THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL LOOKS LIKE A "TESTICLE FACTORY)
    RELAY
    (PETE TALKS ABOUT HOW "DIFFICULT" TONIGHT'S SHOW IS WITHOUT JOHN)
    "BARGAIN)
    BABA O'RILEY
    EMINEMNCE FRONT
    SEA AND SAND
    5:15
    LOVE REIGN
    (PETE TALKS ABOUT HOW L.A. IS A PERFECT PLACE FOR THIS FIRST SHOW - IT'S "FULL OF EMPTINESS!")
    BEHIND BLUE EYES
    YOU BETTER YOU BET
    (PETE AND ROGER MAKE FUN OF THEIR 72 YEAR OLD SOUND MAN)
    THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT
    MY GENERATION (PINO HITS HIS MARK AND BEYOND - CROWD CHEERS)
    WON'T GET FOOL AGAIN
    (BAND INTOR - PINO THANKED - ROGER RAMBLES AND PETE DRAGS HIM OFF STAGE!)
    ENCORE: PINBALL WIZARD
    ->AMAZING JOURNEY ->JAM->SPARKS->SEE ME, FEEL ME -> LISTENING TO YOU
    BAND SAYS GOODNIGHT AS A FOOTAGE MONATGE OF JOHN PLAYS ON THE TWO HUGE VIDEO PROJECTION SCREENS!

Pretty emotional show. Pete kicked fucking ass, Roger sung his heart out - although clearly emotional - Roger knew John since they were 14. My sources tell me that during the last two days rehersals it hit Roger pretty hard.

The Counting Crows opened - short but sweet. Maybe Adam should be "counting" calories... Just a thought. I will post my full review and backstage report - complete with photos of me and specail "friends" - on my site tomorrow night.

Some pictures:

From the press conference anouncing the tour:

[ July 02, 2002, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: badkaraoke ]
    A headless body in a topless bar...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I drove past there to go to the Key Club to see King's X. I figured it was a fireworks show until I asked someone at the KX show. I'm sorry but I looked into getting tickets for that show and they were as high as $500.00. And that was face value. So it just feels a tad icky that they felt "this is what John would have wanted." Jeez, the dude is barely cold!

For $22.50 I had my friggin socks blown off for 2 1/2 hours and I still can't wipe the grin off my face!
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"