Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Banned!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what do you people think of bands doing this? would you do it if a car company said they wanted to use your music?

i bring up this topic because i was watching tv and a truck commercial came on to the song "wicked garden" by STP.

i thought grunge bands were in it for the music.

TIMBUK 3 was offered half a million to use their songs and turn it down. they are the "gotta wear shades" band. i respect them alot for not whoring themselves like some bands.
    i like STP's music, but wtf does "wicked garden" have to do with a truck anyway?

i expect this out of BRITNEY by the way this chick can't sing worth a shit and she can't dance. only in ameica could a fake tit, bleach blonde, i'm really a good girl tramp become a star. off point but i hate that PEPSI commercial. and why did VH do that NISSIAN commerical, for the cars or the money?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've kicked this around for years...I was initially put off by the Burger King comm. which featured 'I Melt With You' by Modern English...A great song with great memories desecrated by BK...Then, I got to thinking...Modern English never had another hit and if they need the money, go for it...

Some bands are totally self-righteous about it...I hope they own their copyright and make enough on the road...If a band takes no position and then you hear a commercial...well, there are greater tragedies...

If I was a one hit wonder who had children to feed and Christmas presents to buy, I'd do it in a heartbeat...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by topik killer:
    TIMBUK 3 was offered half a million to use their songs and turn it down. they are the "gotta wear shades" band. i respect them alot for not whoring themselves like some bands.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I remember that song being used in the movie The Allnighter starring Susanna Hoffs (dear lord was I in love with her in that movie [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]), so while that's not a commercial, it's still being paid to use your song other than on your own terms.

Anyway, I'm old enough to know that money talks, even in the rock world. They can scream all they want about being true to their art, but money plays a role. Personally, I don't care for it when a band doesn't seem to need the money. I wish VH hadn't let Pepsi use Right Now (yes, I know the story behind it). They should have let Pepsi use studio musicians, but kept the integrity of the song.

When I hear a song like Won't Get Fooled Again used in a commercial, it disappoints me.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there is a big difference between using a song in a movie because the song is not the selling part. now to think of it i wonder how much VH would get for letting a company use a song that they didn't write?

btw, did you guys know that whoever wrote a particular song that person receives a royalty every time it is played on the radio.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

there is a big difference between using a song in a movie because the song is not the selling part.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>True, but at least if you sell a song to Pepsi you know they are going to use it to sell a soft drink.

If you sell a song to a movie, suppose they turn around and use it in a scene like a gang rape or something. Unless you're Marilyn Manson, it's not the kind of scene you're going to want your song associated with.

Either way, it's putting your songs into someone else's hands and knowing that your opinion is no longer desired.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i was watching tv and a truck commercial came on to the song "wicked garden" by STP.
    i thought grunge bands were in it for the music.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

STP are grunge wannabe's they always were. Doing this commercial just proves it once again.