Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

DEF LEPPARD's JOE ELLIOTT: When The New Album Rocks, It ROCKS! - Mar. 26, 2002

Here's an update on DEF LEPPARD's forthcoming studio CD, tentatively titled X, as posted via the group's official web site at www.defleppard.com:

“We're basically wrapping things up,” says [DEF LEPPARD frontman] Joe Elliott. “We're polishing things just a little bit here and there, but with what we have right now, I'd say it's about finished.”

The band have finished recording all backing tracks now, and there's some vocal parts that need a little bit of work from Joe, who's currently recording the last small vocal bits 'n' bobs.

Two weeks ago, the three songs written by the band with [AEROSMITH collaborator] Marti Frederiksen were mixed and these are now 100% done. The same goes for the song co-written by "The Swedes" (Andreas Carlsson and Per Aldeheim). No more work needs to be done on these tunes at all.

Pete Woodroffe is currently in Los Angeles at the legendary Rumbo Studios (where GUNS 'N ROSES' Appetite For Destruction was recorded, among others) to mix another bunch of songs, which are expected to be done very soon. In April, Pete will do additional mixing in London.

Fifteen songs were recorded, although not all 15 will end up on the album -- the final track listing will most likely consist of 12 or 13 tracks. The leftovers may be used for extra tracks on CD-singles. Talking about singles: “Right now, I don't think there's [only] one standout track that clearly qualifies as the first single", says Joe. “You never know how it turns out. When the time comes, I think we have a enough songs to choose from that would work as singles.”

“The artwork is moving along nicely,” Joe explains. “We're working with someone who's new to us, which gives a fresh look on things.”

One of the most asked questions (and rightfully so), is what the album sounds like. Joe: “What can I say? It's DEF LEPPARD. You know it's DEF LEPPARD when you hear it — guitar based pop/rock. We keep focusing on our credo Song Is King. The composition is more important than the sound. We're still influenced by anything we hear on the radio. LINKIN PARK, ELTON JOHN, FAITH HILL — whoever! But, that doesn't mean you will hear their sound in our songs. It's more details, ideas, and so on. 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' was influenced by 'Walk This Way' (AEROSMITH/RUN DMC), for example, but the result was not a rap song — more like a rock song with slight bits of rap. So, basically, you may hear all kinds of things in the new songs. Still, it's clearly LEPPARD. We have tried to vary things a bit, as we always do, and so, let's say that when it rocks, it ROCKS!"

[ March 27, 2002 at 05:29 AM: Message edited by: FanHalen ]</p>
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The title of this thread seems to imply the next Leppard album is going to be, um, not good.

All I have to say is could we please allow the album to come out and be heard for the first time before we start criticizing it?
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No offense, but DL died with Steve Clark.
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FanHalen:
    No offense, but DL died with Steve Clark.
    Then I'm not exactly sure why you are posting about them if in your opinion they are dead? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

I think that they lost some of their classic sound after Steve died, but the band as a whole still keeps going strong. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

At least they are DOING SOMETHING!
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sorry to be so hyper-critical, TT. I used to be a huge DL fan (even more so than VH) at one time and have been disappointed with the band ever since "Adrenalize"(though, RetroActive was excellent!). They seem to resort to trying to incorporate the latest hot bands into their music, which I think is wrong. IMO, they should continue to retread old ground. That's what was promised on "Euphoria" and it ended up sounding like a sequel to "Adrenalize"! I always thought with the addition of Vivian Campbell, they would go back to their hard-rock roots but he seems like nothing more than a hired-gun to me since Joe and Phil do the majority of the songwriting these past few records.

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good post FH. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] I do though have to give credit to them for at least trying to expand their sound. I know I'd get pretty bored hearing a different version of Rock of Ages over and over. If you've ever heard Joe Elliot talk about why they don't play anything live from the On Though the Night album, you'd have a better understanding of how they operate today.

I'll continue to buy every Def Leppard album that comes out in hopes of finding that one diamond in the rough. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Def Leppard has been worthless since "Pyromania".
    Ni h-eibhneas gam Chlainn Domhnaill

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:19 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member
    Let's see, the fact that Elliot uses the phrase POP/rock to describe their music is not a good sign. And it's one thing to be influenced by Aerosmith but Faith Hill? Vivian Campbell used to play guitar for Ronnie James Dio for crying out loud. He's been reduced to a rhythmn guitarist. What a waste.

I will check out their new stuff. It's just not the Leppard we used to know.