Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, the most flamboyant and outspoken member of the multi-platinum trio TLC, has died according to a spokesperson for the group's label, Arista Records. Lopes was 31.

Additional details were unavailable, however reports that Lopes perished in a car accident late Thursday night while she was vacationing in Honduras.

"We had all grown up together and were as close as a family. Today we have truly lost our sister," Lopes' TLC partners Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins and Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas said in a statement released to CNN.

Six other people were reportedly traveling with Lopes at the time of the accident, all of whom escaped injury.

Born in Philadelphia, Left Eye later moved to Atlanta where she formed TLC with Watkins and Thomas. The trio’s 1992 debut LP, Ooooooohhh...On the TLC Tip, spawned the top ten hits "Baby-Baby-Baby," "Ain’t 2 Proud 2 Beg," and "What About Your Friends."

The group's hip-pop beats -- provided by Jermaine Dupri and Dallas Austin -- and their identifiable b-girl style captivated fans, helping the trip become instant stars. With condoms on their clothes, their hats shifted to the back and their sagging, baggy pants, TLC exuded girl powered audacity. As the resident rapper among two singers, Left Eye immediately stood out.

Two years later, TLC proved their staying power with the blockbuster LP Crazysexycool. The group expanded its message while expanding its fanbase, offering songs like "Creep" (exploring relationship infidelity) and "Waterfalls" (which addressed a number society's ills).

Away from the studio, the trio brought the drama that would keep the world fixated on them. In the five years between Crazysexycool and their third LP, Fan Mail, the group publicly quarreled amongst themselves, fought with their former manager, Pebbles, and their record label, declared bankruptcy, and disclosed life-threatening illnesses among other things. Lopes upped the controversy even further when she set fire to the home of her her on again-off again boyfriend, football star, Andre Rison in 1994.

Throughout it all, Left Eye held her head high and spoke her mind on everything. No matter how outrageous the situation, Left Eye would seem to trump it with an even more outrageous opinion. More than any other member of the group, Left Eye became a character, and what she did off stage, became just as (if not more interesting) than what she did onstage.

Last year, Lopes was engaged in another beef with her label when they decided not to release her long-talked about solo debut Supernova domestically (see "Left Eye Plans To Stream Delayed Album"). Although TLC were said to be working on the their fourth LP for months (see "Reconciled TLC Recording New Album, Solo Projects"), Lopes dropped another shocker at the beginning of this year when she announced that she had aligned herself with Suge Knight’s Tha Row label. Lopes said that she would recorde a new solo album in Los Angeles record under the name N.I.N.A. While "Nina" is slang for a 9 mm handgun, Left Eye said her Row moniker stood for "New Identity Non-Applicable" (see "Left Eye Signs With Suge Knight's Tha Row" ).

There is no word yet on how much material Left Eye recorded for her new solo album or for the next TLC project or what plans (if any) there are for the release of those albums.

For a look back at TLC and how they worked together on the road, check out "TLC & Christina Aguilera: Together On Tour" and "TLC: Tour Talk" in the MTV News Archive.

—Shaheem Reid
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 01:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I never really got into TLC's music, but I did recognize talent when I saw and heard it. She will definitley be missed.

"Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003