Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.27.05 @ 04:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Am I the only person out there that liked these guys first couple of albums? Well maybe me and Ted Templeman, who produced, I believe, their first 3 albums. I've always thought that the reason I latched on to these guys is that they were (at the time) the closest music out there to the original VH. Some might say that these guys were nothing more than a VH rip-off, well these folks may be right, but I'll tell you, I enjoyed hearing these guys mock classic VH much more than I enjoyed Van Hagar doing the same. Obviously, the BB are no longer relevant, but am I the only VH fan out there that was into the BB??? Come on, fess' up!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

No, your not the only one.

I liked the Bulletboys as well, really liked "Smooth up in ya"

I saw them in concert back in 89 or 90 with Winger and Cinderella.

Before anyone laughs, they were all pretty big bands back then.

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics

I never met a man does'nt owe somebody somethin

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I don't really remember paying attention to them except they were making music at the time I was buying Circus and Hit Parader magazines. I remember one of their albums being reviewed and the reviewer said something about them being good to listen to while you wait for the real Van Halen to put out an album.

Ed6150
    I thought that song SMOOTH UP kicked some serious ass

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like BB!! They had some good stuff..Still listen to them...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.27.09 @ 02:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey I liked 'em. They had balls, unlike the majority of the wussified 'hair bands' in the 80s. Maybe it was Ted's influence y'know.
    I was listening to my copy of Freakshow on the way to rehearsal the other day and it's REALLY REALLY lacking in bass though. I always have to put a ton of equalisation on it to stop it being waaaay too trebly. Anybody else have that problem?

------------------
    Leading the Slawterhouse Security on Holiday...

The bad news is that we have lost our way. But the good news is we are WAY ahead of schedule!

I learned a lesson baby, and it left a scar. But now I see how you really are...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My buddies and me used to listen to them back in the day. I always had to make a comment on how much they stole...er borrowed from VH. The lead singer definately took his cues from Diamond Dave.

------------------
    DLR Army webmaster

www.dlrarmy.com

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think the Freakshow album is great. Yes, they definitly imitated classic VH. But I guess that's why I liked them. I actually had to pick up a used copy of Freakshow again so I can feel the THC groove...

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.27.05 @ 04:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good to know I'm not the only one around that likes these guys. I heard they put out an album on a small independant label several years ago. I believe the album was called "Acid Monkey". Anyone heard this or their new one?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had a little search around for it on the net, but didn't actually purchase it. I did find out however, that Steven Adler (Ex- GNR) now plays drums for them! And Marq Torien sang a couple of songs on the latest Love/Hate album 'cos Jizzy Pearl had touring commitments with LA Guns as well. Maybe I should get a life instead of wasting all this time on the net...

------------------

Hot For Teacher
    North and South, East and West...I\'m always extreme!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fuck yeah! I was listening to them when nobody else was. I used to ask all these supposed metal heads if they ever heard of them, and all I ever got was "Who are they???" Their lead singer, Marq Torien, real last name "Maytorena" from Whittier, California, was known as the hispanic David Lee Roth.

I first got turned onto the BulletBoys via my brother. He used to work with Marq Torien's younger sister Melie at The Broadway in L.A., and she passed their tape off to him for a listen. He then passed it to me, and I was hooked. He was hanging out with her long before any of this success shit came up, they weren't going together, and even used to go to their house an' shit. The coolest moment I saw concerning them? We were at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater to see BulletBoys/Slaughter/Poison, and as my brother and his girlfriend walked up to Marq's sister and her family, Marq's momwelcomed him with a hug, kiss, and slapped an after-gig party VIP sticker on him. My brother is even in the "For The Love of Money" video. He gets some serious face-time in that video, too. He's wearing a black KNAC t-shirt, and is front row.

I've only had the luck of seeing them live twice, and the second time I saw them (at the Troubadour in L.A.) kicked major ass! I met them at an in-store in Beverly Hills, and Marq really stuck out as the "rock star", doing total Diamond Dave poses when it came to picture taking. The coolest, by far, were Jimmy D'Anda and Mick Sweda. Their bassist, Lonnie Vencent, is a total dick. As awesome as they were in the day, I always thought of them as a "working-man's Van Halen". It also helped that TT was their producer. I think their third release, "Za-Za", though it wasn't widely received, was their best effort.

Everything was going fine until Jimmy found out that Marq and Lonnie were cheating him and Mick out of song publishing rights, mostly to support Marq's ballooning coke habit. How do I know this? My brother, the former "video star", is a sales rep for Miller Beer in L.A., and he ran into Jimmy in Whittier one day. They had lunch, and Jimmy spilled everything. It was a shock. He said, this was around '94/'95, that Marq was always calling him up trying to talk him into getting the band back to the original lineup, but Jimmy always blew him off. Mick stuck with it for a few, but when he got married his wife gave him an ultimatum: "me or the band". He chose his wife and got into computers an' shit. About 2 years ago they all finally reunited and tried to give it a go, but I don't think it lasted too long. It's a shame, because they were an awesome band live, especially in the clubs.

------------------
    Girl: "How do you write women so well?"
    Melvin: "I think of a man. And I take away reason and accountability!"
    -Jack Nicholson, "As Good As It Gets"

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Bulletboys were the first (non local) band that I ever saw live. We saw "For the love of Money on the late night rock show here. Then they played at the Newcastle Riverside in the UK in 1988 (?) so me & my best friend printed bootleg t-shirts with the cartoons from the inside cover of their first album on 'em and my dad drove us up to the town. It was a tiny club, like 800 capacity... maybe less. I've still got one of Mick Sweda's picks in my junk box at home!
    ... tell you what though. I always thought Marq looked like that sargeant out of 'Police Academy'.

------------------