Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any U2 fans, casual or hardcore or any music fans at all, please pick up the new U2 album, it is flat out amazing. I've already downloaded the leaked tracks a few days ago, and listened many times, both at home and in my car. Here is my review:

1. Beautiful Day - Good choice for first single. Very energetic song, catchy chorus, yet not the best on the album. Already #1 in the UK, and getting even MTV play!!

2. Elevation - More electronic, a la POP. Great song, grows on me with every listen. Very layered and different.

3. Kite - A future U2 classic and concert staple in the future. Great intro guitar work.

4. Walk On - A U2 classic, one of if not THE best song by them. Gives me chills everytime I hear it, after many listens. Likely to be their biggest hit since 'One'. The ending gospel like chorus is very reminiscent of the Pink Floyd song (can't remember the title) that goes 'all you create, and all you destroy, all that you...'. Very anthemic type song.

5. Stuck In a Moment (you can't get out of) - A VERY hyped up song by the band and their producer. Brian Eno bet Bono money that this will be their biggest hit. The expectations I had for this song probably were too high. An excellent song, poppy, but very feel good, and a great catchy hook. Also, a very good ending a la 'Walk On'. Probably the 2nd or 3rd best on the album, not as good as 'Walk On'.

6. In A Little While - Average U2 song. Bono's voice gets very scratchy in it, which sounds pretty cool. The music isn't all that spectacular.

7. Wild Honey - A very simple, catchy, and almost folky song. An excellent tune.

8. New York - An almost cousin of 'Miami' from POP, only Much better. Still not a great song, but the music is fairly decent. The lyrics on the other hand leave something to be desired.

9. When I Look At the World - Another average rocker, with all of Bono's religious undertones.

10. Peace On Earth - Likely to be a very underrated song. Very slow, reminiscent of 'One', but with a more pronounced religious undertone. If you understand the message however, the song means a lot more, not to mention the music is excellent.

11. Grace - A very slow and sleepy song. Kind of like 'If god will send his angels' from POP, only s..l..o..w..e..r
    Excellent way of ending out the album.

All in all an AWESOME body of work. I'd give it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. Best album since Achtung Baby. Another great departure for them, almost in a completely new direction. Comes out Oct. 31 ...go buy it!!

NOW

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

09.20.16 @ 02:59 PM
    Liked 112 Times in 74 Posts

Donor

Will do strungout! I've been wondering about this new cd, I get into U2, and I've been looking for something new to listen to. You gave it such a good review, I'll have to pick it up!

------------------
    "...I'm your last loose end!"

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Listened to it once.
    It's a good record.
    Still it isn't a return to their glorious past. It's more of an evolution to Achtung Baby than a return to War - Joshua Tree sound.
    Still, I believe it's missing the rockers (no tracks ala Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, or similar), and it's missing the genuinity of their first record. Still, good but not spontaneous as their first 5 records. I'd rate it as a 2 and a half out of 5. I need to listen to it again...

------------------
    Right Now How Many Say I Can't Get This Stuff No More - ddregs

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You NEED to listen to it in the car. I wasn't blown away by it at home, but when I put it in the car, and went for a LONG drive, it completely changed me. Don't compare it to their older stuff so much, but as a NEW direction.

I agree, no hard rockers on this one. But I don't think it's really missed here.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Strungout,
    you gave an excellent review of it and I'll try to listen to it in my car... Good suggestion though I can't get enough of my DLR and VH collection in it....
    I was comparing this record to their first stuff just because the medias in Italy introduced "U2's latest effort is bringin' their music back in time.... You won't believe how this is sounding like Joshua Tree". I was overwhelmed, being the greatest first-U2 fan here. When I heard the single, Beautiful Day, I'd say to myself "Wow, this is 1000 times better than Pop, but.... c'mon, they can do better". They did better on the record, but I'm not convinced of their new direction. Maybe I'll change my mind, but records like War and Joshua Tree are 1000 times better than this one...

------------------

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll definately downloads some tracks off Napster. U2 was one of these bands I got into back in the early mid-80's. I like some of their current stuff but they strike me as the classic example of guys who have gone totally Hollywood. IMO, Bono comes across a little arrogant sometimes.

------------------
    I'm the one who makes the tiger go 'way for ya, and I'm the one who brings 'im back out when ya least expect it!
    David Lee Roth, NBC's Friday Night Videos, 1985

[This message has been edited by dropdeadlegs (edited October 18, 2000 at 02:12 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is it in the stores already? I'll pick it up tomorrow if it is.

------------------

*gulp* - Down In Flames

"...like falling down the stairs and landing on your feet." - Edward Van Halen describing his solos.

"And I swore to myself, I swore to myself that some day, some day...I was going to smoke joints that big." - DLR, Crazy From The Heat

Wolfman's Van Halen Shrine - http://jim.jill.home.mindspring.com

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wolfman: no, it won't be in stores until Oct. 30 (Europe) and Oct. 31 (USA). I have another thread on here that says how I got the tracks. Somehow they leaked onto the net, and someone posted them on Napster, and various websites. Luckily I managed to get them all, and the quality is very good, near cd quality. I'm still going to buy it though, and everyone who d/l's the tracks should. If you want to preview them, tell me a time, and I'll be on Napster then. I just don't want them getting that spread around, I've gotten at least 200 d/l off my comp.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Only 2 things about this album that bug me...

1) No real rockers like their 80's stuff, which was what the album was said to be mostly made of in all the press reports of the last several months. Good songs yes, but all fairly mellow.

2) Why is the album so damn short??
    Even with the 2 B-sides added, it's under 60 minutes. I know damn well they have at least 2 or 3 extra songs in the can for every single they will release from the album. Why not put them on the CD, when it's this short?

Best songs : Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, Summer Rain (B Side)

Overall, 8 out of 10. But it's U2 so I'll probably change that to a 9 after a few more listens.....

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:04 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Picked it up today, 1st day of issue (free poster to boot!)

Had a good days listening of it now, gotta say I was very impressed, especially with the 1st half of the album, it tends to get very laid back at times in the 2nd half (which is fine)... but 1st listen to the 1st half (up to and including kite) pretty much blew me away.

Now I've digested it a bit and calmed down a little I would say it's probably the best since actung... These guys dont sit still long, they seem to be turning into hippies around a campfire in places here though.

As per usual with a U2 album, the things probably just starting to get its hooks into me though, give it time and see where it ends up in my cd collection. Gotta say 1st impressions are much better than pop or Zooropa though

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Doggone, man - not only are you guys like almost a day ahead of us as it is, but you get the album a day before us, so that means you'll have had it almost two days before I get a crack at it!

------------------
    "I wanna live it up
    I'm gonna quit my job
    I'll tell the boss to..."

Eat Us And Smile!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:04 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Yeh, it rules man... last VH album was the same.. we had it nearly a day b4 it hit the states. I was still scratching my head as it hit the stores in the US lol

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another review that pretty much sums up my feelings towards the new record:
    http://www.acmi.canoe.ca/JamAlbumsU/...leav-sun5.html

The record is not bad, though it was presented as the next "Joshua Tree". Clearly, it's not a return to U2's past as they told... Good music but still far from their epic days.
    After listening to it more and more I wonder if Bono can still sing Sunday Bloody Sunday, his voice seems to have lost a lot of energy...

------------------

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Well, I like what I've heard so far on the drive back from Best Buy. Kinda bummed about the bonus CD, as it's only one track - "Always" - which I believe I'll get when I buy one of the "Beautiful Day" singles. Oh well, it will give the CD maybe some extra value in 50 years or so when my young 'uns are liquidating my assets

------------------
    "I wanna live it up
    I'm gonna quit my job
    I'll tell the boss to..."

Eat Us And Smile!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.27.08 @ 09:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is U2's best effort since Joshua Tree. I, too listened to it in my car. What a soulful album. I, like all had heard Beautiful day, so I skipped it on the initial listen. The 2nd song was inspiring, then Elevation. I musta been going over a hundred; this song has a great grove. Walk on is now my favorite. First half great, the rest is very good.

Also, did anyone notice the stark sonic and lyrical similarities to Van Morrison with "In a Little While?" I recently read a review where the editor compared Wild Honey to VM. I think he missed the mark with that one.

No, it is not like old material, but a progression of experience and tastes. I am very excited about the tour. Should be a great one.

This should hold me over until. Well, you know...