Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

04.12.16 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

Let me go on record as saying I couldn't care less about what's "trendy" in music. I think most of us here feel the same way (the fact that we're on a VH message board is a testament to that)!

Having said that, I found the following quote interesting. It's from an article in the new Entertainment Weekly about the inevitable fading of the popularity of the boy-bands and Britney Spears types:

In true music tradition, for example, A&R execs can't quite agree on what the new sound will be....Warner Bros Records' Jeff Blue, who signed Macy Gray and Linkin Park (a rap-metal band that's gained a steady fan base), says the guitar hero will return: "The kids that have grown up on Backstreet Boys and N'Sync and all the rap-rock haven't seen an artist get on stage and play guitar....About 25% of the demos I get now are guitar driven."

Eddie, we may need you to get back out there and show 'em how it's done! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    "..Stare at disbelief at me when I just up and walk...., OUTTA LOVE!"--DLR, Outta Love Again

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Definitely a great sign, Bassman.

I will be a VERY happy man with trash such as Limp Bitchzit and NSinkOrSwim vanishes from record stores forever. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I'm one of those crazies on your block.

writing

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Whew. What a relief it is to read that. Lets all hold virtual hands and send baby blue and neon orange kharma to the recording industry with our overwhelming support for the return of guitar godness.....the guitar solo should be a standard of rock! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Maybe Ed's been devoting all of his time to teaching Wolfie how to play as good as him. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I welcome the return of the guitar to the forefront as much as anyone, but I have a question for all of you:

As of now, the solid-body electric guitar is still identified with rock and roll. In a classicist's point of view, it is not a 'legitimate' instrument. Even though the technical abilities have risen (in SOME players, anyway) to be on par with many a great violinist, the instrument is still not accepted as others are.

The piano suffered this problem briefly in the 1700's, but people quickly changed their minds. The guitar has been around in its present form for around a half century, during the era of fast communication, yet the guitar keeps being dragged down by players such as Cobain, Limp Buzzcut, Corn, etc. For those of you that like those bands, you have to admit that they are de-evolutionizing the instrument.

So, do you think the guitar will EVER be 'legitimate"? Or will it always remain a second-class instrument?

And as for having guitar solos rule again, well, I really hope that doesn't happen. We don't need the guitar Olympics to move it forward. (ok, i admit to once being an annoying wanker at times, but I grew up a LOT since then [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

So, whaddya think?
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Two things I see differently Abe is the guitar not being a "legit" instrument, and the solo.

I have no idea what you mean with that. Its identified with rock, sure, but how is it not a legit instrument? Are you saying that it may pose a problem for the music because of the classicists point of view? I honestly didn't even know there was a question regarding legitimacy with the guitar, and that there even was that point of view. I dont think, if I'm reading you right, that there will ever be a problem with that from the majority opinion regarding the instrument.

Guitar solos: Man, I sure hope they DO come back! Not just for flashy and fast, but for what they added to a song. It just made music more fun for me to have that showcase in there. Nothing made a nicer accent to a song than a good solo done well. But I allready said that in my first post, I'm being redundant.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your view on the guitar though...

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's hard to define exactly what I mean by 'legitimate', but I'll TRY to expand a little.

As a new instrument is invented, it goes through a certain tweaking period, and basically settles into its niche. The electric guitar is no exception. While there ARE people and companies still developing new ideas, the guitar is essentially 'developed' already.

Due to the work of the true GREAT players (Van Halen, Beck, DiMeola, etc) we have seen the technical abilities of the instrument rise to amazing heights. We guitarists can now play (well, if we practice enough) almost anything. It is no longer just a chording instrument, or just a blues solo instrument. The guitar can do ALL styles, but in reality it does few of them 'well'.

There are so many ways to play that there is no single 'acceptable' way to do things. This is the main difference between learning the guitar and learning almost any other instrument. Yes, a piano can blow away our comping and arpeggios; a violin can outsing and outshred us. A trumpet can outblare us. The sax can outjazz us. Etc. The guitar has amazing versatility, and there are so many avenues to approach.

There have been few forays of electric guitar into the symphony orchestra, and most of the times when it DID occur, it was simply a novelty. Composers nowadays use sequencers to play most things, or they hire an orchestra, yet somehow the guitar is often overlooked as a formidable voice within the orchestral setting.

In other words, it is held in slight contempt by 'serious' musicians, denigrated a bit. I think it's kinda sad, but there have been too many players become hugely influential that actually brought the instrument's musicality way down.

Yngwie showed us how to do Paganini and Bach on guitar, but proceeded to force it into cheesy doom-metal that remains in stasis for 17 years now. Eddie expanded the possibilities of alternate right hand articulation. Les Paul taught us how to multitrack. Etc etc etc. But, for as far-ranging as our sources of inspiration are, most players do NOTHING to help forward the cause. The average guitarist today is a lesser player than the average player of 1955, and in '55 the instrument was basically NEW! While there were some good players back then, most were struggling through simple chord patterns while in big popular bands. Nowadays, they often can't play anything past a power chord.

While I enjoy guitar solos, and they are certainly fun to play, I just don't want to see another burst of Shrapnel-style players re-emerge. Those guys had flawless technique and musicless music. We don't need THAT again! (trust me, I know what it's like to play abusive solos at times [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

So, the guitar is currently a lost art form. There ARE people out there trying to help move it forward, but the external powers that be usually want nothing to do with it. It's easier to peddle Lump Buzzcut than the work of a REAL musician or player. I am not a DiMeola fan, but he's an amazing player. Look at his record label track record someday; this guy got shit on from day one. He is one of the few that really helped bring the guitar forward.

While the guitar is perfectly acceptable in jazz, rock, country, blues, etc., it is stigmatized-go tell a 65 year old that you are a guitar player, and they will usually assume you're a no-talent flake. But if you tell them you play the clarinet, well, that makes you an artist. Same with the often stuffy classical folks. Yes, there are exceptions, but in general, the guitar and its players are Pariahs in the eyes of too many people. Not that I feel impressing old people is the main thing here; it's just one example.

Holy long post Batman! (sorry--i could go on forever [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) I hope this sort of clears things up for ya!

[ June 03, 2001 at 11:51 PM: Message edited by: AbeVanHalen ]

[ June 03, 2001 at 11:53 PM: Message edited by: AbeVanHalen ]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you look at the 1800's, a guitar was basically a peddlars instrument. If you had money, you had a violin. If you wanted to play for a group of people in some alley in Europe, you would play Lute or Guitar. It's the nature of the instrument. Guitar became more respected with the likes of Carlos Montoya and Andres Segovia. When Jimmy Hendrix came out, people thought it was one fucked up acid trip. When Eddie came out, he entered the mainstream and his sound was more palatable to the radio listener. What goes around comes around. I think we will hear more guitar oriented music again. I for one am glad for 90's grunge. It showed us that we need a serious dose of fret ripping again. Our local radio station just had a hairspray weekend. It sure was nice to hear these 80's metal bands rip up the guitar again. Of course I tore into these glam bands in the 80's when they were ripping off VH, but like I said, it was nice to hear some solos again. I'll take what I can get.
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's the thing about bands that came out of the '90s and beyond. You listen to a song by a band from Van Halen's era and you ALWAYS can hum, wa, or at least recall the guitar part.

Other than the opening part of "Come As You Are," there really isn't any memorable guitar parts in modern music. The focus shifted.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

whew!! Ok [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img], I gotcha. Thanks for expanding, I actually learned somthing [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You telling me that "Alive" by the almighty Pearl Jam isnt memorable or how bout "Even Flow","Man In The Box","Everlong","Spoonman","Machine Head","Interstate Love Song","Plush","Higher","Enter Sandman" or "Teen Spirit".

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Abe...LOVED your posts!!!

I think guitar suffered in orchestral or symphonic settings because, as you said, the piano, or harpsichord, could do the guitar's job much better...expanded chord and tonal range...multi-part playing capability...volume...percussion...

I don't know if guitar is considered a second class instrument...but I do know that rock is considered second class music...and, when you listen to Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, DeBussy...it's pretty hard to argue with the sentiment...

Incidentally, I really get my guitar fuel from Latin music nowadays...ESPECIALLY the Gipsy Kings...those dudes can THROW DOWN!!! I feel their music in my core...

As for the next big thing, I think those of us who are over 25 have seen pretty much all that the rock genre has to offer...what's more, I think we've seen the BEST it EVER WILL offer...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Heavy melodic music is were it's going me thinks.

And yes the guitar solo IS coming back, not guitar masterbation, but good old guitar solos.

Problem is, everyone forgot how [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] We need Ed to remind us all!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by homeunit:
    Heavy melodic music is were it's going me thinks.

Well, we've got heavy all over the place. That would be half the battle.

And yes the guitar solo IS coming back, not guitar masterbation, but good old guitar solos.

I was kinda thinking we'd get heavy music with sax solos for a while, but I sure HOPE guitar solos come back. (but you just KNOW someone's gonna wank [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

Problem is, everyone forgot how [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] We need Ed to remind us all!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to THAT!

[ June 07, 2001 at 01:50 AM: Message edited by: AbeVanHalen ]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Josephina
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I get what you're saying Abe. In the musical world, the guitar is still seen as the rebel kid's instrument. The piano, violin, harp, piccolo, they're all seen as high-class instruments held by the classy people. But when you think of a gold Les Paul, ya think of rawkin' out in your basement.
    "You gotta do me a favor and let these (people) have a good time, alright? A little bit of (vulgar term for breast) and their hands in the air ain't gonna hurt anybody" - Nikki Sixx

"Van Halen is 'Get the fuck off the sidewalk if ya don't like our drivin' kinda music!" - David Lee Roth

"We get to the hotel, there's people partyin' in the parking lot, people gettin' down in the elevator, wow! I swear to God I had this one chick, this chick was poundin' on my door, she was kickin' and screamin' at my door 'til about 6:30 this morning. Finally, I just said, 'Fuck it!' and let her out of my room!" - David Lee Roth