Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

DAVE MUSTAINE Leaves MEGADETH, Group Disbanding After 20 Years - Apr. 3, 2002

A statement from Dave Mustaine:

During the first week of January 2002, while MEGADETH was on hiatus, in Texas, I suffered an injury that caused severe nerve damage to my left arm and hand. It was diagnosed as Radial Neuropathy - specifically, a "compressed radial nerve." My doctors tell me it will take about a year to make as complete a recovery as I can, and even then, we don't know how complete that is going to be. I am working hard with a great team of doctors and physical therapists daily, and God willing, someday I hope to play guitar again.

In the meantime, while I work on rebuilding my arm, I will take this opportunity to reappraise my career and my future. For the time being I have decided to exit MEGADETH, and explore other areas of the music business where I might make a contribution without being able to play my instrument.

I have had a terrific time singing and playing for you while I was in MEGADETH. I am truly grateful for all of the numerous Gold, Platinum, and Multi-Platinum Records I have been awarded, as well as the many International Record Awards. And I can never thank you, our fans past and present, enough for your loyalty and affection over the years.

My immediate goals now are to do what I can to make something good come out of this terrible situation. First and foremost, I want to use this opportunity to devote more time, energy and attention to my wife Pam and my two children, Justis and Electra. Pam has done a wonderful job carrying the load while I was a long-distance husband and father in the studio or criss-crossing the world on tour, but in terms of being a Gold or Platinum parent, I have a long way to go, and I'm eager to get started.

In closing I would like to depart with the beautiful French words I wrote on the record Youthanasia: "A tout le monde, a tous mes amis, Je vous aime, Je dois partir." (To all the world, to all my friends. I love you, I have to leave)

Dave Mustaine
    April 3rd, 2002

=============================================

MEGADETH's career has been one of the most spectacular and musically innovative in the history of heavy metal. For nearly 20 years, U.S.-based MEGADETH soldiered on under the extraordinary vision of founder, vocalist, lead guitarist and principal songwriter Dave Mustaine. Most recently, the achievements of Mustaine, bass guitarist David Ellefson, lead guitarist Al Pitrelli and drummer Jimmy DeGrasso have occurred as an integral part of the Sanctuary Records Group roster. For the past two years, MEGADETH has undertaken a grueling, worldwide tour and promotion schedule.

2001's The World Needs a Hero was MEGADETH's Sanctuary Records debut, and it marked a bold return to the band's powerful style after a few albums of controversial experimentation. The successful world tour generated MEGADETH's first-ever live album the double live CD Rude Awakening was just released on March 19, 2002, and the accompanying DVD and VHS home video hits store shelves on April 9, 2002. Both the Rude Awakening CD and DVD include 24 songs spanning MEGADETH's entire career, including everything from classics like "Hangar 18" and "Symphony of Destruction" to The World Needs a Hero highlights like "Dread and the Fugitive Mind" and "Burning Bridges".

Last year, MEGADETH was the subject of an episode of VH1's enormously popular Behind the Music series, and an expanded edition with more than one hour of bonus footage was released on DVD and VHS. Behind the Music examined Mustaine's well-documented drug addiction, which he ultimately beat.

Mustaine formed MEGADETH in 1983, after he was fired from METALLICA. This would have been a setback for most people, but not Mustaine. He was determined to start his own group. The music would be uncompromisingly heavy with intricately precise guitar lines, and the lyrics would take an unflinching look at serious subjects like the dark side of humanity and politics.

MEGADETH's impressive discography follows:

1985 - Killing Is My Business ... And Business Is Good!
    1986 - Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying?
    1988 - So Far, So Good ... So What?
    1990 - Rust In Peace
    1992 - Countdown To Extinction (reached # 2 on the Billboard album charts)
    1994 - Youthanasia
    1995 - Hidden Treasures (songs collected from soundtracks and tribute albums)
    1997 - Cryptic Writings
    1999 - Risk
    2000 - Capitol Punishment: The MEGADETH Years (greatest hits)
    2001 - The World Needs A Hero
    2002 - Killing Is My Business ... And Business Is Good! (remixed/expanded)
    2002 - Rude Awakening (live)

MEGADETH alumni include lead guitarists Chris Poland, Jeff Young and Marty Friedman and drummers Gar Samuelson (who has since passed away), Chuck Behler and Nick Menza.

The musical legacy MEGADETH has left behind is impressive. Even mainstream music critics couldn't deny the quality of MEGADETH's output, and this respect resulted in seven Grammy Award nominations for "Best Metal Performance" between 1990 and 1997.

These Grammy nominations include:

1990 - Rust In Peace
    1991 - "Hangar 18" (track from Rust In Peace)
    1992 - Countdown To Extinction
    1993 - "Angry Again" (track from Last Action Hero soundtrack)
    1994 - "99 Ways To Die" (track from The Beavis and Butt-head Experience)
    1995 - "Paranoid" (track from Nativity In Black - A Tribute To BLACK SABBATH)
    1997 - "Trust" (track from Cryptic Writings)

For lovers of heavy metal worldwide, the demise of MEGADETH is sad, but they will have nearly two decades worth of music to enjoy for the rest of their lives, and future generations of music fans not yet born will experience the thrill of discovering MEGADETH.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Too bad about his arm. Dont give a shit about the music. I know the impact that it made though, so this is pretty historically huge news.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

holy shit...this is big news [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]
    nothing I really care about but I just wanted to comment on the fact that it was....big news.

I'll shut up now
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

He can still sing and NOT play guitar. I am sure that many Megadeth fans are pissed that the "tough" guy is giving up and not being any part of Megadeth anymore...Megadeth will not survive without Dave Mustaine.
    Nice Sig Aquatic
    Just go for it!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well actually Dave(and Dave jr) are Megadeth, so they are done, unless he recovers in the future.

http://www.vh1.com/news/stories/1453246.jhtml

Megadeth Pack It In After Nearly 20 Years

Frontman's relapse, rehab triggers decision to dissolve metal mainstay.

By Jon Wiederhorn

Megadeth's Dave Mustaine
    Photo: MTV News

The fourth track on Megadeth's 2001 album, The World Needs a Hero, is "1000 Times Goodbye." Written as a breakup song, its title is more meaningful now that after nine studio albums and nearly 20 years, Megadeth have bid the world

farewell.

Frontman Dave Mustaine made the announcement Wednesday (April 3) in a written statement. "For the time being, I have decided to exit Megadeth and explore other areas of the music business," he said.

Mustaine's decision was triggered by a series of episodes that date back to the beginning of the year. In January, he relapsed after over a decade of sobriety, a friend of the band said. He checked into a rehabilitation center in Texas, where he sustained an injury that caused severe nerve damage to his left arm and hand, endangering his ability to perform.

"My doctors tell me it will take about a year to make as complete a recovery as I can," he said. "And even then, we don't know how complete that is going to be. I am working hard with a great team of doctors and physical therapists daily, and God willing, someday I hope to play guitar again."

During his recovery period, Mustaine plans to spend more time with his wife, Pam, and his two children, Justis and Elektra.

"Pam has done a wonderful job carrying the load while I was a long-distance husband and father in the studio or crisscrossing the world on tour," he said. "But in terms of being a Gold or Platinum parent, I have a long way to go, and I'm eager to get started."

Mustaine thanked his fans for their longtime devotion and expressed gratitude for the success he's enjoyed over the years.

"I have had a terrific time singing and playing for you while I was in Megadeth," he said. "I can never thank you, our fans past and present, enough for your loyalty and affection."

Before forming Megadeth in late 1983, Mustaine was the guitarist for Metallica. He was booted from that band early that year for personal and creative reasons. The first Megadeth album, Killing Is My Business ... And Business Is Good! came out two years later and cemented the thrash band as a musical force to rival other dominant metal outfits of the era. Between 1990 and 1997, Megadeth garnered seven Grammy Award nominations for Best Metal Performance, though they never won.

The group scored its first mainstream success in 1986 with Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying? (A snippet of the title track is used as the musical outro for MTV News segments.) Megadeth's most successful record was Countdown to Extinction, which reached #2 on the Billboard 200 albums chart.

On the 1994 album Youthanasia, Megadeth shifted direction slightly, slowing their tempos and experimenting more with melody and atmosphere. The evolution continued through 1997's Cryptic Writings and hit a peak with the appropriately titled 1999 disc Risk, which included Middle Eastern string melodies on "Insomnia" and electronic-industrial clamor on the anthemic "Crush 'Em."

In 2001, Megadeth returned to their hard rockin' roots with The World Needs a Hero and recently released the double-disc live album Rude Awakening.

This report is from MTV News

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I'm not a huge Megadeth fan but I thought some of their stuff was cool. Dave Mustaine seems like a pretty decent guy and is very well spoken. Hope everything works out for him.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 11,572 Times in 4,933 Posts

Kinda sad, I dug Megadeth. But come on, Dave Mustaine is Megadeth. Hope he gets better.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That sucks. Their latest album was pretty good.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen is in jeopardy, Metallica is not much better, and now this? Fuck!
    I love Megadeth, and Mustaine is a real badass. I sure hope that Dave will indeed recover and will be able to play and snarl in the mic for Megadeth!
    My prayers go to you, Dave!
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

The first 6.66
    Favorite VH Song

Running with ME
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

CABO SAN LUCAS, MEXICO (AP) - Pop singer Sammy Hagar today announced that he would be replacing Dave Mustaine as the lead singer of Megadeth. Neal Schon, formerly of Journey and Bad English will be the bands new lead guitarist.

The group, now known as Megacheez, will debut it's new lineup at Hagar's Cabo Wabo Cantina this weekend and will enter the studio in May to record a studio album for release in late summer.

When asked how this unexpected turn of events would effect his planned tour with fellow Van Halen alumnus David Lee Roth, Hagar replied, "Fuckin A man, Dave's buds with Metallica. Maybe he can be their bass player? Fuck it man, we can still do the tour if he wants to.... Hell, I'll fuckin work with anybody once."

Mr Roth was unavialable for comment, and his spokesman, Ray Luzier would only say that he "wished Megacheez all the success they deserve."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Originally posted by Satan:
    CABO SAN LUCAS, MEXICO (AP) - Pop singer Sammy Hagar today announced that he would be replacing Dave Mustaine as the lead singer of Megadeth. Neal Schon, formerly of Journey and Bad English will be the bands new lead guitarist.

The group, now known as Megacheez, will debut it's new lineup at Hagar's Cabo Wabo Cantina this weekend and will enter the studio in May to record a studio album for release in late summer.

When asked how this unexpected turn of events would effect his planned tour with fellow Van Halen alumnus David Lee Roth, Hagar replied, "Fuckin A man, Dave's buds with Metallica. Maybe he can be their bass player? Fuck it man, we can still do the tour if he wants to.... Hell, I'll fuckin work with anybody once."

Mr Roth was unavialable for comment, and his spokesman, Ray Luzier would only say that he "wished Megacheez all the success they deserve."
    Haa haa haaaaaaah!!!! whatever!
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:45 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    First of all, Dave Mustaine was MEGADETH, period. In a world where the guitar solo has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, this is awful news. First got into MEGADETH in '97. What set their music apart is the guitar work. Metallica? Hell they don't know what a decent guitar solo is. Even though Dave never sold a many records as Metallica, I far preferred his music. Thank God I got to see them 5 times in concert. I've pretty much accepted the fact that Van Halen will never play again, at least in any classic configuration, now this. Huge Bummer! Hope Dave's health is OK. Guess I'll have to break out the Megadeth cd's and a case of Beer now and remember how things were once. (did the same thing with VH after the '96 disaster).

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

this is huge. hugely bad. mustaine is megadeth. rust in piece is a defining moment in thrash metal. and countdown to extiction isn't bad either. and they got back on track with the world needs a hero. man, this is a bunmmer as i was looking forward to what was next.
    "If at first you don't understand Van Halen's music, crank up the volume."
    -Washington Post, April, 1980

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:45 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    Well if Metallica is still looking for a bassist, I know one who has some time on his hands now.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

How exactly did he hurt his arm?
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com