Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

METALLICA Launch Bassist Search: 'The Vibe Is The Most Important Thing' - Dec. 4, 2002

METALLICA's search to replace bassist Jason Newsted officially got underway last week, the group have announced via their web site (www.metallica.com).

The band, who split with Newsted in January 2001 following disagreements over Jason's then-side project ECHOBRAIN, had previously maintained that they would wait until they had finished the recordings for their new album before they started looking for Newsted's replacement. However, as drummer Lars Ulrich explained in the latest video update posted in the "Jump In The Studio" section of the group's web site, the Bay Area-based band's original plan had to be abandoned in order to avoid the possibility of a lengthy lag between the album's completion and the kick-off date of the group's subsequent world tour.

"We ain't gonna do a lot of touring without a proper bass player, and we kind of realized that if we were going to not start the bass player thing until the record was done, we might end up in a situation like we usually do where there's three weeks between the end of a record and the beginning of a tour, and then we might end up in a really stupid, pressure situation, trying to get some guy and we don't have a lot of time," Ulrich said. "And that's why we started [auditioning bassists]."

Unlike the last time the band held bassist auditions (in 1986, following Cliff Burton's tragic death), METALLICA have opted to try out candidates by invitation only — with all of the hopefuls being well-known musicians who have the necessary skills and experience to get the job done.

"We are excited jamming with people, getting a vibe with them," guitarist/vocalist James Hetfield explained. "The vibe is [the] most important [thing]. We know the people we've got on our list can play. And it's very important that our personalities vibe, and that this person is going to be around for a long time. We don't want just someone coming in and then being gone – we don't like the revolving door syndrome."

"We don't want rent-a-bass-player, we don't want mercenaries, we want someone that we can be proud to say to [the fans] and the rest of the universe that this guy is in METALLICA, he's a brother, and he's part of the team," Ulrich added. "And also somebody who can give us some strength."

"Someone who can add a dimension – not just someone who can hang out," Hetfield clarified.

METALLICA, who have thus far jammed with one candidate, will have another hopeful coming in on Thursday (Dec. 5), and will try out several more applicants over the course of the next couple of months. However, out of respect for the musicians seeking to fill the slot, they will not be revealing any of the candidates' identities.

"It's not right and it's not fair for any of us to disclose who any of those bass players are, because that puts undue pressure on them, somehow, in some way," guitarist Kirk Hammett explained. "And also, we don't wanna give more fuel to the rumor mill, because I'm sure that anyone we name will be seen as a reflection on us and what we are doing at this moment."

Hetfield, Ulrich and Hammett have thus far completed seven tracks with producer Bob Rock for inclusion on the band's as-yet-untitled new CD, tentatively due in late spring/early summer through Elektra Records. Rock has played the basslines for the current album, but the band have said he will not join them on the road.

Favorite VH Album

1984, Balance, Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mike on SGMAD, Baluchetherium
    Last Online

02.12.07 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

finally
    [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    How to make a “Mad Anthony”

2 oz Cabo Wabo® Tequila
    1 oz Spicy V8
    Juice from a fresh Lime
    A generous dollop of Mad Anthony’s Hot Sauce
    Combine in a shaker full of ice and shake it up
    Pour into shot glass garnished with
    a dab of salt
    a small slice of lime
    a slice of Serrano or Jalapeno chili pepper

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

How long did Echobrain last??? A month or two?

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

He's already saying that he would go back to Metallica if asked. He's currently with VoiVod and is making comparisons to Metallica with their new music.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll be waiting by my phone anxiously and dusting off the old bass and Hartke cab. I'll scrap playing lead guitar in my band for playing bass with Metallica any day (sorry guys)

So let's throw some names out: Mike Inez, Dave Ellifson....... who do you guys think? I highly doubt that Newsted will be back. Hetfield wouldn't want to be seen caving in at any time to any one. It's odvious that Jason misses his old gig however.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Mike Inez would be great but he doesn't sing background vocals.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Mike Inez would be great but he doesn't sing background vocals.
    Two words: Michael freakin Anthony (ok three words). Just kidding. Bad idea all around.
    "Right Now.....Mike is thinking about a solo project."<br /><br />"Victory has a thousand fathers. Defeat is an orphan."

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ross - I think they are looking for someone who can play bass.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Best Of (cop out answer)
    Favorite VH Song

A Year To The Day
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ross - I think they are looking for someone who can play bass.
    Ouch, Famac. Poor Mikey. Depending on who you ask Mike either:
    A - Is a good player but knows when to stay out of the way musically.
    B - Can't play. Full of boring 16th note drills with no real musical purpose.

I hover between the two extremes but I think that Metallica is looking for someone who will "add dimention". In case of either of the two above points I don't think MA comes close to what they are looking for on any level (he'd probably cool to hang with though)

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Metallica are looking for someone who keeps their mouth shut, does what they're told, is completely uninspired, and will play pseudo blues rock/metal crap. I'm sure it'll be guaranteed the bore the shit out of me just like everything else they've ever done.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Hoobastank6, im know huge Metallica fan, but you really should respect your musical elders.

Plus Master Of Puppets is probably one of the greatest Heavy Metal albums of all time, top ten at least, they deserve respect for that alone.

IMHO...

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by willy4pres:
    Hoobastank6, im know huge Metallica fan, but you really should respect your musical elders.

Plus Master Of Puppets is probably one of the greatest Heavy Metal albums of all time, top ten at least, they deserve respect for that alone.

IMHO...
    That music is void of any type of interesting musical phrasing, feeling, space, atmosphere, and doesn't emit any feelings other than the standard juvenile "I'm angry and hate the world" nonsense. I walk into Guitar Center and all I hear is a bunch of E chord chugging and staccato down-picked crap coming from a 15 year whose been playing guitar for 2 months and thinks these guys are models to look up to. That music did nothing for me except make me angry and sad back in the days when I worshipped them and thought they were the end all/be all of metal and guitar playing. At this point in time I can honestly (with a straight face) tell anyone that I think they're currently a horrible band and nothing they've ever done has brought a smile to my face.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.29.12 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah sure dude, Master of Puppets is a piece of crap....uh wrong. You said yourself you worshiped them, just cause you're burned out on them don't mean they suck, like you could do better.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.07.08 @ 02:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, maybe a new player will inspire them to get back to their roots. Otherwise, they are traveling down the popular road of SUCKVILLE!!
    Van Halen without the original 4 is just not Van Halen.

Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The World needs a Metallica album right now [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

--------------
    "I SAID ROCK ONNNN!"
    The question is not, "Does love exist?"
    But when she leaves, where she goes?
    I got the feelin' she don't know either
    Wait like the wind, watch where she blows