Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You gotta check this out

OZZY KNOWS BEST?
    He's not a traditional father, but experts say he's the real deal

06/15/2002

By MICHAEL GRANBERRY / The Dallas Morning News

Could Ozzy Osbourne be Father of the Year?

Consider, for a moment, his track record: During a 1982 concert, he bit the head off a bat, believing it to be a rubber toy. Exposed to the bat's blood, he was rushed to the hospital for a rabies shot.

Drunk and wearing a dress, he was arrested that same year in San Antonio for urinating on the Alamo.

Other transgressions include biting the heads off two doves in a meeting with business executives; allegedly shooting his ex-wife's 17 cats; and giving his bulldog a face-lift just to get rid of a few wrinkles.

Of course, Ozzy places almost all the blame for his problematic past on drug and alcohol abuse. But look at him now: Even as a daddy of three, he's a mop-haired, tattoo-wearing heavy-metal renegade whose kids look alarmingly like chips off a goofy block.

Between March and May, however, Americans came to see Ozzy in an entirely new light. As the ringmaster of his own reality-based show on MTV – an overnight success, watched by an average of 6 million people weekly – viewers became voyeurs.

And most just couldn't get enough. They got to enter the Osbournes' sprawling manse, in Los Angeles, no less – which some would argue is hardly the best place to raise kids – to get a peek at exactly the kind of dad a heavy-metal blaster could be.

And?

Almost universal praise. Overwhelming approval. Sure, they yell and scream and swear like sailors, but defenders of the show have taken to calling the Osbournes role models.

Even people in Forney, Texas.

"Yes!" says William Mitchell, 31, a fire-alarm technician, who says Ozzy should be Father of the Year. And why? He sets an example all dads should follow, Mr. Mitchell says.

Family meetings

Mr. Mitchell has, in his words, become a far better father of two growing boys, 12-year-old Taylor and 10-year-old Nickolas, merely by watching the Ozz on television.
    "We started doing family meetings as a result of the show," says Mr. Mitchell, who especially loves the fact that Ozzy enforces a policy of "no family secrets."

In Mr. Mitchell's view, family secrets lead to family dysfunction, and the supposedly crazed Ozzy brings home the point more resoundingly than anyone.

Whenever anyone has a problem in the Mitchell family, "We now have a family meeting," says Mr. Mitchell, "and as a result, there are no family secrets. It's helped a lot, and we owe it to Ozzy."

Exactly how did batty old Ozzy (OK, he's only 53) attain such a lofty status? Well, when Ozzy's daughter, 17-year-old Kelly, got a tattoo, she begged him not to tell Mom. But he called Mom immediately, at the beauty parlor, and handed the phone to Kelly to confess.

"There's no way Kelly or Jack can pit one [parent] against the other," says Kristene Doyle, director of the Child and Family Services Clinic at the Albert Ellis Institute in New York.

Ms. Doyle was quoted on ABC's 20/20, which recently profiled The Osbournes. Most of the mental-health experts polled on the show see the Osbournes as a healthy, albeit unusual, family that represents anything but dysfunction and disaster.

For Mr. Mitchell, one of The Osbournes' best role-model examples was when Ozzy reprimanded his son for smoking pot.

"He called the family in," says Mr. Mitchell. "He had a family meeting immediately. He said, 'Son, I will not allow drugs in my house.' The kid said, 'Well, I'm not addicted; I just smoke pot occasionally,' and Ozzy's response was just great.

"He said, 'You're not addicted yet. Look at me. Do you want to become like this? Look what can happen to you.' Rarely do people use themselves as a poor example, and I love that about Ozzy. He uses the sins of his past to drive home a point better than anybody."

Admitting mistakes

Dr. Sheldon Zablow, 51, a board-certified child and adolescent psychiatrist based in San Diego, doesn't watch the show. However, he agrees wholeheartedly with Mr. Mitchell.
    Fathers, he says, don't admit to mistakes as often as they should, and if Ozzy is doing that, that's a plus in his favor.

"If dads want to build as solid a bond as they can with their kids, it's important to admit mistakes," says Dr. Zablow, who notes that if a father assails a child for not taking out the trash or failing to do homework – when, in fact, they did – it's important for Dad to apologize and admit he was wrong.

Dads, he says, often have trouble admitting their mistakes, which apparently is never a problem with Ozzy.

Dr. Zablow also likes the idea of family meetings and no family secrets and not judging otherwise good fathers for what some construe as unconventional behavior.

Of course, that is quite a family Ozzy has. Kelly and brother Jack, 16, routinely go to nightclubs and often stay out until 2 a.m. (Their parents let them.) Kelly – at the moment, at least – has flaming pink hair, and Jack, who favors a black mohawk, likes to cover it with a camouflage helmet. An older sister, Aimee, 18, lives on her own and doesn't participate in the show, which is produced by Ozzy's wife and manager, Sharon Osbourne.

The couple's lavish home is rife with shouting and name-calling, and, yes, even the "F" word is used profusely by Mom and Dad, as well as the kids.

It's these factors and more that have many parents trembling at the thought of Ozzy as anyone's role model. Dr. Scott Jones, who occupies the McCreless Chair of Evangelism at Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University, is among the first to hold up a cautionary flag.

"We need to be careful in praising or criticizing somebody else," says the Rev. Jones, who has two children of his own and is part of the youth ministry at Trietsch Memorial United Methodist Church in Flower Mound. "On the one hand, Ozzy Osbourne has clearly made progress in his life and deserves praise in dealing with drug and alcohol abuse.

"And some of the patterns of his family life are healthy, such as family meetings and open, honest communication. But the idea of holding him up as a role model is ludicrous, and frankly, the media are using Ozzy Osbourne for his shock value."

As for Ozzy letting his kids stay out until 2 a.m., the Rev. Jones says, "Good parenting involves engagement with children's lives, knowing where they are and who their friends are and holding them accountable to high moral standards. Ozzy Osbourne permits far too much freedom for his children."

As for his rampant use of foul language, which threw the MTV bleep machine into overdrive, "Foul language is becoming all too common in American culture," says the Rev. Jones. "It coarsens relationships and teaches people that the worst side of human nature is socially acceptable. Ozzy Osbourne has not yet come to terms with that part of his moral growth and his development as a father or as a public figure."

But appearances can be deceiving, and some contend that no one should tarnish a family with a brush of negativity just because "normal" doesn't fit.

David McHam, 68, has been a journalism professor most of his adult life, having taught at Baylor University, Southern Methodist University, the University of Texas at Arlington and now the University of Houston, where he's a visiting professor.

He's also a father and a father figure to many. Back when men his age were turning up their noses at the Beatles or ZZ Top or Bob Dylan, he couldn't wait to get their next record. He also remembers being a father during an era when fathers were broadly stereotyped, on such situation comedies as Father Knows Best, My Three Sons and, ironically, Ozzie and Harriet.

The Osbournes is a hit, he says, because the time is perfect.

"We are in a period of the antihero," says Mr. McHam. "You see this through the reality shows on TV. It comes in part because we don't have any real heroes or the kinds of heroes we had at one time. And so antiheroes tend to arise.

"This was a perfect time for a guy like Ozzy to emerge, and as it relates to fatherhood, it demonstrates there's no one way of being a good father."

"Perfect father"

The sitcoms of the 1950s and 1960s created the myth of "the perfect father," says Mr. McHam, noting that real fathers "found themselves trying to live up to that, and let's face it, it's hard to be Fred MacMurray," who played the father on My Three Sons.
    Because of The Osbournes, Mr. McHam says the image of an uptight father trudging home in a three-piece suit and a tight-fitting tie – and then trying to be perfect in every way – may be gone for good, at least from television.

"We have to be careful of being critical of other people for their approach," he says. "It's like lifestyles. People have to do what's best for them, and Ozzy Osbourne is doing the best he can.

"One of the reasons he's appealing as a father is that, with all his faults and his flaws and his background and his inability to communicate, he's doing the best he knows how. He comes across as being sincere. There's nothing made up about him, nothing put on. He's what you see, and that may be something for all us fathers to learn."

Even President Bush has taken note of the Ozzy phenomenon.

At a recent White House Correspondents dinner, the president said, "The thing about Ozzy is, he's made a lot of big hit recordings – 'Party With the Animals,' 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath,' 'Face in Hell,' 'Black Skies' and 'Bloodbath in Paradise.' Ozzy, Mom loves your stuff."

But comedian Drew Carey may have had the best and most telling line at the same event when he said of both President Bush and Ozzy Osbourne, "They both partied a little too hard when they were younger. Half the time, you can't understand a word either one of them [is] saying."

Even that paragon of family values, former Vice President Dan Quayle – who once blasted television's Murphy Brown because the title character had a baby out of wedlock – has praised his new strange bedfellow, the Ozz.

"You have to get beyond the sort of dysfunctional aspect," Mr. Quayle said recently. Noting that the offensive words are bleeped and the show features two "loving parents," Mr. Quayle opined, "I think there are some very good lessons there that are being transmitted, of not doing drugs, of not doing alcohol."

Of course, some critics complain that Ozzy is by no means a poster boy for Alcoholics Anonymous, since he occasionally, and happily, still enjoys a glass of wine. Other critics complain that any family that yells and screams that much and uses hysterical invectives is a family with real problems lurking beneath a bizarre surface.

But don't count Mr. Mitchell of Forney in the critics' camp. He's solidly pro-Ozzy. Those who defend the Ozz proclaim that even the keepers of the Alamo, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, have forgiven him, by accepting his apology and a $10,000 check for the crime he committed in 1982.

"We applaud Mr. Osbourne for the progress he has made in turning his life around in a new and positive direction. And we wish him well," said the Daughters in a statement.

For Mr. Mitchell and millions of other fans, Ozzy's apology is evidence of a man who knows when to admit he's wrong.

"It's what you have in your heart that counts," says Mr. Mitchell.

"Ozzy so values and loves his family, and in the end, isn't that what's important?"

Ward Cleaver, Mike Brady and Ozzy Osbourne! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Cos-Man Cometh

Bill Cosby says Ozzy's a bad dad. The comedian tells ''Access Hollywood'' that he's sick of hearing about the Osbournes by Brian Hiatt

JUST COS? Cosby called the Osbourne clan ''sad''

America's favorite dad from the '80s isn't happy with his new-millennium replacement: Bill Cosby lashed out at the Osbournes in an interview with ''Access Hollywood,'' calling them ''sad.'' The genial comedian lost his cool when the subject of the clan's MTV show came up, according to a statement from NBC. ''Let me tell you something about Ozzy Osbourne,'' he said in the interview, which airs Thursday night. ''First of all, all of you need to stop with this Ozzy. This is a sad, sad family; it is a sad case.''

The genteel Cosby even blasted poor Kelly and Jack. ''The children are sad and the parents are sad,'' he said, adding that ''The Osbournes'' is ''not entertainment.'' Repeating the word ''sad'' several more times, Cos said he wouldn't want the show playing in his home. ''I don't like to look at things like that,'' he said.

A publicist for the Osbournes, who recently signed up for a second season with MTV, tells EW.com that the family has no plans to respond to Cosby's rant. Does that mean no Oz/Cos duet?
    (Posted:06/20/02)

bill cosby is dumb hehe
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddie Murphy once said on one of his comedy albums, in response to Bill Cosby blasting Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor for their profanity, and it certainly applies here also:

"Bill needs to have a Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up!"
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Watchin' shit like the Cosby shows probably fucked up more people than Ozzy has! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

JUMP, RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL&LOVE COMES WALKING IN
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i do not know if ozzy is a good father or not. the children seem to need some major disicpline. cosby may not have been as cool, cocky or bad as ozzy but he did teach people goof family values. for that fact alone the hulkamaniac brother thinks that the pitchman for jello has a right to his thoughts. now the real question will be how in the future that aimee, kelly, jack and whoever else he fathered turn out. do they become good outstanding citzens of a neighborhood, or do they become rich white trash. only time wil tell. my prediction is that sharon needs to control and handle them the way she handles ozzy and things will be okay in the end

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know what is sad?!? Cos calling Kelly and Jack "children". and he just think he's the better tv dad. when i watch the cosby's, its like another kid walks in the scene everytime, how many stinkin' kids do they have?! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

should i bring back the osbournes thread? so we can post news in it?

Mom-and-Pop Store

The Osbournes' inevitable book deal -- It seems that Sharon wants to write an alternative-parenting manual by Liane Bonin

PAGING THE OSBOURNES Sharon (at l.) wants to pen a parenting guide

The Osbourne-family backlash should be starting right about...now. With ''The Osbournes Unf***ingauthorized'' and Pocket Books' official behind-the-scenes guide to the popular MTV reality show en route -- not to mention the action figures, mugs, sleepwear, and voice-activated plush bears -- now might not be the best time for Sharon Osbourne to shop another book idea.

But at last week's MTV Movie Awards, she told EW of her plans for an alternative-parenting manual. ''I haven't done a deal for it, but I'm working on it right now,'' she said. ''I just adore adolescents, I love them to death.''

''This seems about as unlikely an idea as Dean Martin writing a book on overcoming alcoholism,'' says one underwhelmed top editor. ''Has this joke gone too far?'' Of course it has, but stay tuned for the six-figure deal.
    (Posted:06/20/02)

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, VH, WACF, Balance, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, H4T, I\'m the One, Romeo
    Last Online

12.26.07 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

oooooooo~!!
    I can't wait until it shows here in Oztralia~!
    [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

kelly interview part

There are rumors that your dad is suffering from Parkinson's disease. Is he ill?

Kelly -(Yells) Ahhh! People are so f-king stupid! He has a neurological imbalance from something ... I don't know what. Sometimes the nerves in his leg go off and it makes him walk funny. But he's not suffering from Parkinson's! People just make up shit because he walks funny. I mean, he's broken his leg five times!