Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Why do people make fun of 1980's bands? Just because of the hair? Well from what it seems, most bands in the 80's could write decent songs, that take talent to write and play, and a lot of them were straight from the heart. Most of the songs had feeling to them, or great playing. If they didn't they were either a cool party anthem, or some pop shit.

I mean compare the styles of the 80's and today. Sure the 80's had a lot of shitty music too, but what decade doesn't? At least in the 80's a lot was written well musically, I can't say that much now a days. The only music like that now is from bands that were around in the 80's and even they are submitting to pop culture. Now a days, instead of bands being a bunch of friends getting together to write music, you have guys creating bands, and writing all their music for them. Everything popular is one of the many identical sissy boy bands, some hot teenager, or it's some metal band that alternate tunes, writes some shitty progression, without a solo in the whole, song, and they whine and complain, or they sing about something retarded or stupid. I don't know about everyone here, but I want more 80's style music back. It's more fun, and it's music to party to, or play on your instrument that isn't boring. Besides the fact that it is about more things besides death and pain.
    I am awesome

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

just watch VH1's "Best hair bands of all time" to see why they are mocked!!

the music was lame and sounded the same

they looked like idiots

they wanted to be VH in the middle part of the decade, then they wanted to be Faster Pussycat the next half

the funny part of that VH1 special is hearing just about EVERY band on there saying "I wouldn't consider us a hair band or like those other bands" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    ROFLMAO!!!
    Eat Us and Smile!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No matter how good or bad your music is, if you look ridiculous and act like a fool you're gonna get made fun of. Last night on VH1 i saw the video for Whitesnake's "Is this Love" while i was half asleep and burst out laughing about 10 seconds into it. I'm assuming the director said "alright, get your hair up looking like a girl, wear the long black trench coat and hug all over the supermodel in high heels while you're singing the words to this wimpy song." It was flat out stupid. The guitar players had the bright red double-neck standing there bending the shit out of one note with the hair and long leather coat on. No matter whether you're Vito Bratta, Reb Beach or Warren DeMartini, you might have chops and be a great musician, but if you look as ridiculous as they did it's inevitable to get made fun of.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

oversaturation of a style always happens. i think that vh was probably the coolest band in the 80 s but they were in the 70 s too lets not forget. those 80 s hair bands got rediculous i never liked most even in the 80s. i think vh still was unique among them eddies guitar was still very recognizable and vh didnt really dress unisexually. vh still looked kinda "grungy" or just rocked out or something but not really chessy and gay like the hair bands.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 80's got mocked because the initial grunge movement was ANTI-80's. They made everything 80's "uncool".

In the 80's, you had people ranging in age from 16-40 still all over the charts, and many of them made it no secret that their lives were cake from all their money.

In the 90's, we had 'socially conscious' lyrics; there was no fun allowed. You even had to dress like a greasy bum to relate to the fans. In the 80's, performers still dressed 'above' their audiences. (well, at least you could distinguish them from the audiences)

Kids want to claim a decade as their own. To do so, you have to kill off the previous one. Also, the 90's 'musicians' openly mocked their 80's counterparts, and let's not forget what happened when Beavis and Butthead appeared. Hell, Winger was doing well in early '93. Then that Stuart guy (the dork) had a Winger shirt, and within 2 weeks, Winger's cd and concert ticket sales dropped by 80%. THAT is the power of MTV. Once mtv became so pervasive, too many companies jumped on their bandwagon. They turned grunge into a 'cultural movement'. (i call it a bowel movement) It became the basis for music, clothing, tv, movies, politics, etc. It dominated pop culture, and not for the better.

Music is only one PART of what got screwed. You couldn't make decent, clean-cut comedies anymore. Family-oriented sit-coms were out the window. Sex and violence and special effects and drugs became prime time events, not late-nite cable. All these penetrated all aspects of pop culture; music is just the easiest to pick out.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hain23x:

the music was lame and sounded the same

they looked like idiots

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the shoe-staring, flannel-bearing, droopy-pants wearing, greasy hair unshaven heroin addict guys played better music and all sounded unique and looked brilliant?

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The fashion was stupid, but I keep thinking about the fact that in the 80's NILS LOFGREN had a video playing on MTV!! NILS LOFGREN!!! You gotta miss that...

In the 80's, bands had ONE chord progression, a Yamaha DX7, and make-up...But, at least, they put a tune with the same old chords and could claim some semblance of originality...

Personally, I don't know why the 80's get bagged on...I was there and I loved it...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The 80's were probably the best decade for music. I find it surprising how many people can rip it. Especially 90's artists. They were unarguably the worst artists of any RNR decade. They should talk . . .

As far as musicianship, there has been no decade with more innovative and revoltuionary talent on guitar. I don't care what anyone says.

And for its artists? Madonna and Prince broke that decade. The guitar was reinvented. "Thriller", "Hysteria","Back in Black", "1984", "5150", "Fair Warning" "Appetite for Destruction", "Born in the USA", and "Slippery When Wet" were all introduced. As was MTV! No one can tell me that this decade was not a pioneer for music. We will see how many people site Korn, Barenaked Ladies, and Goo Goo Dolls as their musical inspiration in another decade. They all have SUCH staying power.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

During the 80's, there was room for rock, heavy rock, metal, dance, easy listening, pop, pop rock, guitar music, synth music, vocal music, etc etc etc. You could turn on the radio and hear a plethora of styles and sounds and artists at any given time. There was something for everyone.

For the last decade, that hasn't been the case. It's such a narrow market that many of us are left out entirely. I was kinda lucky: I am young by '80's standards', but the music had already become a big part of me by the time I was 9 (in 1982), and it grew more and more so with each passing year. I thought that 1989 was weak compared to the previous 6 or 7 years, but it still far outshines the 90's.

I remember having a GOOD time hearing all those old songs. Hell, I can usually remember exactly what I was doing/where I was/who I was with when when they were popular. Imagine someone born in 1982 or so; they got to share their childhood-into-adolescence with images of Jeremy's blood splattering his fellows students, and Kurt Blowbrain Cobain eating someone's cancer, being unclean, and ultimately eating a shotgun shell, and rappers killing each other, etc. That isn't going to make for a very well-adjusted generation.

Hell, even rap in the 80's was 'fun', and I always hated that shit. They weren't going around killing people back then.

Of course there were some bad hair bands, just like there were bad Satanic bands, bad pop groups, etc. But overall, the standards were MUCH higher then. How would Robert Palmer gone over in the 90's with his suits and 'misogyny'?

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really don't think it was because of the bands hairstyles or clothes....Elton John has made many, many records and look how he dresses [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] The fact that many of the bands/artists in the 80's put out one or two CD's and then were gone, tells a story.

I think any band that can carry over into a second generation, doesn't need to be made fun of, whether the dress different or not [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Most of the music I listen to is from the eighties! I would never mock the eighties, a time when rock ruled the airwaves. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

The people who mock the eighties are usually people that are fans of Boy bands, Hip Hop or Nirvana. You know, people with bad taste in music. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i think korn is the shit(no pun intended) i wouldnt consider them a band thats gone??? secondly alot of the new metal bands you dont like say they love 80 s rock music. head and munky from korn are huge steve vai fans.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Everything goes in cycles. We used to mock the 70s; now they're cool again and we're mocking the 80s. Give it time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The scary part of the cycling effect is that the stuff that becomes 'cool' again is at best a bad caricature of what once was.

That means we may get poodle hair squared the next time around. [img]smilies/scared.gif[/img]

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

For music, the 80's are my favorite decade. Even though there were a lot of cheesey hair bands around, there were always good bands like Van Halen, AC/DC, Metallica, Judas Priest, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, etc. I only wish I would have been born earlier so that I could have enjoyed the 80's as they happened. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 17, 2001 at 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Dan Halen ]
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman