Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Grunge hasn't felt so well in ten years: There's new music from Nirvana in record stores today, and Pearl Jam's not far behind, with their Riot Act ready for a November 12th release.
    According to founding Pearl Jam guitarist Stone Gossard, who together with frontman Eddie Vedder wrote some of the Nineties' biggest rock songs, the group is as tight personally and musically now as on its landmark 1991 debut Ten. "Our band is better than ever right now," Gossard says. "Everyone keeps developing into the core of who they were ten years ago. It's an amazing process to see that happening, and it happens because we're together still, collaborating with the same people we did when we were younger."

"Everyone's finding a bit of peace with the universe," he continues. "Letting go of old issues and just appreciating the bounty. We all show up at the studio at age thirty-six, thirty-seven, thirty-eight, and are wowed that we still get to show up and play in the sandbox together. We're probably five of the luckiest guys on the planet. Now it's like, 'Let's do one of my songs and let's do one of your songs. And let's be sure that we don't spend a lot of time bickering over stupid things.' We count our blessing and try to make meaningful music."

"Meaningfulness" has always been a part of Pearl Jam's music and public life -- they've fought for their rights against Ticketmaster, always play Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit and this year Vedder was an outspoken opponent of the means of America's "War on Terrorism," a perspective that Gossard says shows up obliquely on Riot Act.

"After 9/11, everyone went, 'Oh wow, the earth isn't exactly the way I thought it was,'" he explains. "There are forces out there that are out of our control. Or there are forces out there that are at odds with what would be our natural state of being. [On the album], there's no obvious reference to it . . . There's some politics in some of Ed's lyrics. Some of it's ironic and funny and some of it's forthright."

Pearl Jam will play a benefit show in Seattle on December 8th, with Mudhoney and Steve Earle also on the bill. The band will embark on a world tour in support of Riot Act early next year.

AUGUSTIN SEDGEWICK
    (October 29, 2002)

Rollingstone.com

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Originally posted by FH:
    That's what Pearl Jam looks like these days? I can't even tell which one's Vedder - is he the one in the lower right that looks like the dude from that awful "Fear Factor" (Joe Rogan)?

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Yup. That's Vedder, alright. He lost the mohawk he sported last year.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

It also appears that Mike McCready hasn't missed too many meals!
    [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You know, you've got to love it. Every time PJ get a new album ready, the media wheels them out, parades them around, then the single hits the radios, it tanks, and nobody gives a damn for another couple years.

You'd think the media would just give up. They're old news.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    You know, you've got to love it. Every time Sammy get a new album ready, the media wheels 'em out, parades 'em around, then the single hits the radios, it tanks, and nobody gives a damn for another couple years.

You'd think the media would just give up. He's old news.
    I can't wait for the new Pearl Jam album!!!!!! An' Ize think I heard that they were gonn' release the live recordings again, too. What a great rock n roll band!!!!!! I recently acquired a live version of Eddie Vedder solo playin' The Times They Are A Changin' at a Ralph Nader rally--it is AWEsome!!

I guess "Last Kiss" tanked, eh Stay Puff????

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The problem is that the music industry has gone away from grunge. PJ has stayed the same. Actually they have evolved into a much better band lyrically and musically. All of the grunge musicians have faded. Not because of their music, but because of the music scene. Look at Jerry Cantrell, Chris Cornell's solo album and Pearl Jam. They have all been making kick ass rock and roll, but that is not what's 'in' right now. Take a listen to No Code or Yield or the new Pearl Jam album, they are all fantastic.

I actually think 'Riot Act' will do very well. It has a much more radio friendly sound than the last album (Binaural) which was somewhat experimental. I think 'I Am Mine' is a fantastic song, and it has been doing very well on the charts. There are a couple more songs on the album which are smoking. 'You Are' just blew me away the first couple listens. It is completely different than anything else they've ever done, I still get chills listening to it, and I've had it for over a month now. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

If you have any passing interest in PJ, definitely give the new album a couple of listens, it is probably one of their best albums yet!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away, 5150, Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    You know, you've got to love it. Every time PJ get a new album ready, the media wheels them out, parades them around, then the single hits the radios, it tanks, and nobody gives a damn for another couple years.

You'd think the media would just give up. They're old news.
    I happen to think it's great that PJ have stayed consistent, despite the fact that grunge died years ago and the media don't care so much about them now. I was a big fan of their music back when grunge was king. If anything, I respect them more now as musicians, since they're clearly not trying to change with current music trends. In fact, I'd say they may be the most relevant rock band out there now.

Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pearl Jam is the last great American rock band.Theyre the few contemporary bands out and a left that when i hear news about them bout releasing a new album,it gets me excited.Their last album was nice,i still haven't heard their new song but im sure when i get the money,i'll buy "Riot Act".They have been consistent i think,they've just been really quiet the last...5 or 6 years but its good for them,they aren't trendy,their a rock band who wants to challenge themselves,and they all had done it their way,rather than always releasing "Ten",after"Ten",after "Ten".

[ October 30, 2002, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: VanHalenMetallica ]
    The question is not, "Does love exist?"
    But when she leaves, where she goes?
    I got the feelin' she don't know either
    Wait like the wind, watch where she blows

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by VanHalenMetallica:
    Pearl Jam is the last great American rock band.Theyre the few contemporary bands out and a left that when i hear news about them bout releasing a new album,it gets me excited.Their last album was nice,i still haven't heard their new song but im sure when i get the money,i'll buy "Riot Act".They have been consistent i think,they've just been really quiet the last...5 or 6 years but its good for them,they aren't trendy,their a rock band who wants to challenge themselves,and they all had done it their way,rather than always releasing "Ten",after"Ten",after "Ten".
    Exactly. And, they fact that they purposely have not released any videos (1 or 2 minor exceptions) since 'Ten' didn't help their image with mtv and the record execs. They've been touring packed arena consistently since they started, and haven't slowed down yet. Just because mtv doesn't play them doesn't mean they aren't still making amazing music.

I felt the same way the past few years, not hearing much from them. I loved them in the 'Ten' and 'Vs' years, and kind of dropped off after 'Vitalogy'. I just recently got back into them after reading the book 'Ishmael' again, and learning that 'Yield' was inspired by this amazing book. I picked up the album, and couldn't believe what I was missing out on. I got a bootleg cd, downloaded the new cd 'Riot Act', the dvd and then the rest of the catalog. I'm hooked. These guys are incredible, probably the most underrated band out there today.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's like this:

Pearl Jam was cool and all around 1992-199? (whatever year it was Vitology came out - '96 or so I think). Vitology sucked and their decision to kill the videos and release another album of festering, unpromotable material like No Code didn't help either. Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoy about half of No Code. After that it was kind of like they could cut Ten part 2 and still wouldn't amount to much. I suppose they kind of did with Yield - it was much closer to Ten than anything else was. Of course, Binural wasn't the right way to go - I think the radio played the single from that album one time, after which the DJ came on after it and said, "Damn, doesn't THAT song suck! What the hell were they thinking?" I'm not kidding either, I couldn't believe someone in the radio business just said that on the air

They're an average to mediocre rock act that happened to have enough fanboys to save them from the same fate acts like Stone Temple Pilots, 7 Mary 3, Live, and Jerry Cantrell have suffered. And that's cool. You love PJ, then good for you for keeping them afloat.

Of course, my disdain of Pearl Jam is well-versed, so I won't bog the thread down anymore with that. I just have one question. Why is it that everybody is real quick to call Creed a PJ knock off? Yeah, they're both heavy guitar driven rock acts that came out of the musical period that formed grunge. But most grunge and post-grunge acts have that in common without being called PJ knock-offs. Scott Stapp doesn't sound like Eddie Vedder (Vedder is way more whiny in his singing style). They don't look alike. PJ sings about the dark and depressing side of life, Creed sings about the glorious transcendence of mankind. Aside from their grunge roots, what is there common between the two of them?
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Stay Puff No More:

Pearl Jam was cool and all around 1992-199? (whatever year it was Vitology came out - '96 or so I think). Of course, Binural wasn't the right way to go - I think the radio played the single from that album one time, after which the DJ came on after it and said, "Damn, doesn't THAT song suck! What the hell were they thinking?" I'm not kidding either, I couldn't believe someone in the radio business just said that on the air.

They're an average to mediocre rock act that happened to have enough fanboys to save them from the same fate acts like Stone Temple Pilots, 7 Mary 3, Live, and Jerry Cantrell have suffered. And that's cool. You love PJ, then good for you for keeping them afloat.

I just have one question. Why is it that everybody is real quick to call Creed a PJ knock off? Yeah, they're both heavy guitar driven rock acts that came out of the musical period that formed grunge. But most grunge and post-grunge acts have that in common without being called PJ knock-offs. Scott Stapp doesn't sound like Eddie Vedder (Vedder is way more whiny in his singing style). They don't look alike. PJ sings about the dark and depressing side of life, Creed sings about the glorious transcendence of mankind. Aside from their grunge roots, what is there common between the two of them?
    I couldn't disagree more with this jive turkey post right here nah...who gives a fuck what a radio dj says?????? Was it Wolfman Jack?

Pearl Jam is a GREAT ROCK N ROLL BAND. Mentioning 7Mary3 and Live and Creed in the same sentence as Pearl Jam is like mentioning White Lion and Poison in the same breath az Van Rothin'!!

Eddie Vedder doesn't whine--he's got that ol' Jim Morrison low growl...how can you not listen to horseshit like Creed an' hear how bad he wants to re-write,"Black???!!"

Binaural is a hellva record sho' nuff'--Vitalolgy, too...right on...canyadiggit...Ize likes that ol' Dirty Frank cut, too...a lil' Theme From Shaft-esque boogie woogie ALL HELL YEAH!!!!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Humans Being
    Last Online

10.26.13 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been to a few PJ shows, and listened to the last 78 shows they have performed and have to say the just rock. Not only do they change their setlist every single night, but they are not affraid to play anything in the catalog. Binaural wasn't a great album, but those songs live were unbelievable. I cannot wait for this tour.....btw I'm sure the last few PJ tours have had more attendance then the last few VH tours.
    Pick up the fucking phone Eddie and call someone!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I always thought PJ were arrogant assholes after giving TicketMaster the finger and making fans go out to a field in BFE to enjoy a show at ridiculous ticket prices... Can you say "Sell out"?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The last few Pearl Jam tours may have been more filled than the Van Halen III tour, but what about the Diver Down tour? Pearl Jam's a nifty little band for the 90's but has nothing on Van Halen in the bigger scheme of rock history. With grunge music, everybody has to take a number after Nirvana, even if they were just as good.

Brian
    "Existence is meaningless and life is absurd, so wipe that smile off your face."