Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nah. if they didn't put lyrics on discs, the first person to figure them out would post them on their fan website, and everyone would get them the easy way.

as for "The more times something is played, the more its merits and/or shortcomings become apparent to the listener-"i only had to listen to VH3 once to become fully aware of its shortcomings.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    nah. if they didn't put lyrics on discs, the first person to figure them out would post them on their fan website, and everyone would get them the easy way.

as for "The more times something is played, the more its merits and/or shortcomings become apparent to the listener-"i only had to listen to VH3 once to become fully aware of its shortcomings.
    You're assuming that the mistake is very recent; it is not. It predates the widespread use of the internet.

AS for VH3, Eddie himself said you've gotta read the lyrics to 'get it'. Fits my postulate to a T.

The average lifespan of a cd today is 6 spins. They have become an utterly disposable medium. So have most of the bands that record them.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

I totally disagree. There are some lyrics that no matter how many times I listen to a song I ain't gonna figure 'em out. So I want 'em there. I'm more likely to listen to a CD more if it does include lyrics, because then I can sing along with it right from the get-go instead of having to decipher a line here and there.
    I see your point about the critics, but I stopped listening to what the critics had to say years ago, so I don't care how they're reaching their "criticism".

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MTV is now taking even MORE music away; I have seen shows where they only play a minute or so of a video, just enough to catch a chorus and some cleavage. Again, you get just enough to pick up on a beat and make out the 'important' words ('oops, i did it again'), and even if there WAS any music worthwhile in the song, it never has a chance to come forward.
    they are pretty much brainless to play a video for under a minute. that show is called TRL. and they have an hour an a half to get the top ten videos of the day. if they showed the videos full length then they would get done in like a half hour. but they always have long commercials on mtv. on mtv 2 (i dont have it) they play vh videos. because i downloaded a video from mmorpheous (right now vid) and it had an mtv2 logo in the bottom.
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lyrics should NEVER have been printed on record/tape/cd packages.

Why do I say this? Well, the AVERAGE listener only really cares for 2 things: a BEAT, and a vocal line they can mimic. Beats are a dime a dozen. Vocals, however, aren't quite as simple.

Previously, people had to listen to a recording over and over in order to learn the words so they could sing along. The more times something is played, the more its merits and/or shortcomings become apparent to the listener. Ergo, taking a Darwinian approach, if a song was really bad, people wouldn't bother to learn it. If it was a good song, it would get played all the more.

Further, the so-called music critics used to listen to a release over and over again in order to learn the words so that they could critique the lyrical content, and in the process they would absorb the music as well. Since lyrics have been included with the recordings, a critic can simply read them to see what they're about, and they will spin the disc once to get a quickie overview of the music. Consider what most critics value nowadays: 'meaningful' lyrics, preferably as politically correct as possible. They have no comprehension of music itself, so they only focus on the words. As a result, a song with 'deep' lyrics and bland shitty music will get a good review. Not good.

Before, if you tried listening to something over and over to get the lyrics, but the music really sucked, you simply didn't bother repeating it, and the song was unlikely to gain commercial success. There was a balance between musical integrity and lyrical integrity. Yes, 'star quality' had an impact, but nothing like today.

Since the short-attention span generation has taken over, the instant gratification from printed lyrics has taken ALL of the burden from the music, and as a result, the top 40 is filled with songs that have few (if any) real musicians playing. I've heard that complaint about a million times, usually in regards to boy bands and T&A pop sluts. The complaint is justified.

MTV is now taking even MORE music away; I have seen shows where they only play a minute or so of a video, just enough to catch a chorus and some cleavage. Again, you get just enough to pick up on a beat and make out the 'important' words ('oops, i did it again'), and even if there WAS any music worthwhile in the song, it never has a chance to come forward.

The industry is in a tailspin. They have shot themselves in the foot over and over again. You can only go so far with flash and star appeal, especially when the number of stars can be counted on one hand. I lay a LARGE portion of that blame on the printing of lyrics for the recording media in use today.

Think about that.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.