Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't heard much of this, but I did catch some of his VH-1 gig the other night. Boy, this is painful to watch. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] He's barely whispering the lyrics to each song because his voice is shot to hell. The second he tries to put some umph into it, he cracks! [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

BTW, he's old as dirt! Hang 'em up Robbie. You can conjure up all the production and affects in the world, but the point is, your chops are chumped! [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw the vh1 thing too. He doesn't look that great either. Age has not been kind to him.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

GREAT GOD ALMIGHTY!!!!!!
    Don't let Aretha tell y'all what you ain't showin' nah right here one time...c'mon nah, maybe the deal with the devil only brings you so far...Ize believe DLR renewed his she got a mortgage on my body lien on my soul deal back in '98...How 'bout the lowdown version of Fixin' To Die? Callin' Dylan out say hey YEZ YEZZ YEZZZ...well well well...well well...WELLA...Bukka White blues they so protobluesfunkonetime yez yyahhh!!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time translating "Willie-loon" speak. What the hell was that all about?!! [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Didn't catch the special, but I have heard the promo track from the new album. Sounds like an extension of the core sound from 'Fate Of Nations'...

Couple of thoughts:

- Amazing to think that Sammy Hagar is almost a year OLDER than Robert Plant, yet Hagar's voice is holding up far better than Plant's. This might sound surprising to some, but another thing to consider is that Hagar's material is far more difficult and debilitating to the voice than Plant's. How do I know this? Because I sing a ton of tunes from both guys in my band and I'll take the Zeppelin all day long over the Montrose/Hagar/Van Hagar stuff. I am a dead ringer for early-Zep Robert Plant, though, so I'm probably basing my opinion on a subjective natural tendency...

- The primary reason Plant's voice is shot now is because he beat the hell out of it far more than Hagar over a shorter period during his prime. Consider that between 1967 & 1975 Plant took one year off from singing (1974). Between 1966 & 1974 Hagar put in MAYBE 1/5 the wear & tear. See also Brian Johnson...(incidentally, another guy I am a dead ringer for)

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for your honesty and modesty over your vocal abilities.

Personally I think Plant just did too much blow back in the day, or maybe Zep's deal with the devil expired when Bonham died. If you notice, Page can't play for crap anymore either. Not that he was ever really any good live, but at least he was great in the studio in the past. To the point at hand though, I didn't think Plant sounded that bad and I thought that this is probably the best sounding backup band he's had solo. I've heard lots of good things about the new album.
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Your welcome.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by therealdeal:
    Didn't catch the special, but I have heard the promo track from the new album. Sounds like an extension of the core sound from 'Fate Of Nations'...

Couple of thoughts:

- Amazing to think that Sammy Hagar is almost a year OLDER than Robert Plant, yet Hagar's voice is holding up far better than Plant's. This might sound surprising to some, but another thing to consider is that Hagar's material is far more difficult and debilitating to the voice than Plant's. How do I know this? Because I sing a ton of tunes from both guys in my band and I'll take the Zeppelin all day long over the Montrose/Hagar/Van Hagar stuff. I am a dead ringer for early-Zep Robert Plant, though, so I'm probably basing my opinion on a subjective natural tendency...

- The primary reason Plant's voice is shot now is because he beat the hell out of it far more than Hagar over a shorter period during his prime. Consider that between 1967 & 1975 Plant took one year off from singing (1974). Between 1966 & 1974 Hagar put in MAYBE 1/5 the wear & tear. See also Brian Johnson...(incidentally, another guy I am a dead ringer for)

The Real Deal
    Drinking, smoking, Blow, drugs, it all fucks your voice up, if you ABUSE!!!!! and if you don't take care of your voice..

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by The Full BuD:
    Wow, thanks for your honesty and modesty over your vocal abilities.

Personally I think Plant just did too much blow back in the day, or maybe Zep's deal with the devil expired when Bonham died. If you notice, Page can't play for crap anymore either. Not that he was ever really any good live, but at least he was great in the studio in the past. To the point at hand though, I didn't think Plant sounded that bad and I thought that this is probably the best sounding backup band he's had solo. I've heard lots of good things about the new album.
    I heard that on the Live at the Greek with the Crowes, he souds real good...

I saw that tour, and Jimmy sounded fine to me... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just disappointed with Page when I saw him with Plant and he was letting someone else take solos on songs like "The Song Remains The Same". I was just thinking "WTF?!" when I saw that. But I didn't see the Greek show with the Crowes even though I had a chance to. Kinda regret that one. Oh well, maybe he's just off some nights...
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smoking probably has more to do with it than anything. Robert Plant at least used to smoke like a chimney, Sammy's always been pretty healthy, smoking only the odd bowl or three of ganja, which when smoked through a good water bong is nowhere near as harsh on the throat and lungs as fogging down 40-60 Marlboros a day.

You can also see evidence of this (to a far lesser extent, thankfully) on Queensryche's "Live Evolution" DVD. Geoff Tate used to have the most superhumanly flawless voice on the planet, but he was also a smoker, and although he still sounds GREAT on probably 90% of the stuff, he's definitely lost the very top end of his register. Admittedly, when speaking of physically demanding vocals, it simply doesn't get any more physically demanding than Queensryche, especially some of the older stuff on "Warning" and "Rage for Order".

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm just talkin' some swampy suggestive sweet talkin' sensible shoes walkin' blues country blues style feelin' good yez yez an' I'm juss fna groove a lil' James Brown!!!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

His voice sounds pretty good on the album. But he stays in his range. His new album could use a little more blues guitar IMHO.
    Better use it up before it gets old!

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Not looking too good these days, either...

[ July 19, 2002, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

He was on Letterman last night. He sounded great! I was surprised.
    Better use it up before it gets old!