Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This week in 1994, Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in a house he owned in Seattle. He was 27.

Kurt Cobain's Obituary

The morning after his body was found, MTV News spoke to singer Courtney Love, Cobain's wife and the mother of their baby daughter, Frances. Love said Cobain, who suffered from a chronic and painful gastric disorder which had driven him to take drugs in the past, had started taking heroin and other drugs about eight or nine days after they returned home that March from Rome, where Cobain had been hospitalized in a coma after drinking alcohol on top of a prescription sedative. (Though it was ruled an accidental overdose at the time, it has since been reported that a suicide note was left in Rome by Cobain. In his 2001 Cobain biography, "Heavier Than Heaven," Charles R. Cross quotes a line from the note Love said she found in her husband's hand in Rome: "Dr. Baker says that, like Hamlet, I have to choose between life and death. I'm choosing death.")

Nirvana's Inception

Famously ambivalent about rock stardom and the record business in general, Cobain, Love said, had become weary of career pressures and was unhappy with Nirvana. Love quoted him as saying, "I hate it. I can't play with them anymore."

"The only thing he wanted to do was play with Michael Stipe," Courtney said about the R.E.M. singer with whom Cobain reportedly developed a close friendship.

Returning to Seattle in March of '94, Cobain was soon taking drugs with such desperate abandon that Nirvana's management urged him to join a 12-step drug rehabilitation program. Love, who, contrary to rumor at the time, said that she and Cobain hadn't broken up and that she remained willing to, as she put it, "die for him," said that at one drug-ravaged point, "I told him you've got to be a good daddy. We've got to be good parents."

Cobain did enter drug rehab for several days but the treatment didn't take. In the first days of April, taking drugs again, he disappeared and Love hired a private detective to try to find him, unsuccessfully, as it turned out.

Nirvana's Success

When Cobain's body was discovered Love went to the scene. Judging by the evidence there, Love said Cobain had first written a suicide note to her which said in part, "It's not fun for me anymore, I can't live this life," and then Love said he apparently drew a chair up to a window looking out on Puget Sound, sat down, took some more drugs, picked up his shotgun and, using his thumb, it seemed, shot himself in the head. The physical damage was so severe that his body could only be identified by fingerprints.

Love said she took a thatch of his blond hair home and carefully washed it, remembering how Cobain had always hated washing his hair.

Still reeling from her husband's death when MTV News spoke to her, Love said she was at home with friends wearing a pair of Cobain's jeans and socks trying to come to grips with the fact that she'd never hold his hand again and that their baby daughter would now never know her father.

Kurt Cobain's mother, Wendy O'Connor, said on the day Cobain's body was found that her son had been missing for six days and that the last time she had spoken to him, she told him not to join the "stupid club" of rock stars who had died untimely deaths.

David Fricke from Rolling Stone magazine spoke with MTV News' Kurt Loder about Cobain's importance soon after his body was discovered. "He had so much to give and he had so much left to write, and I think that in a way ... he was the closest that his generation came to a John Lennon, in that he was writing very much from the heart, very directly and he didn't play according to the rules," Fricke said. "And the thing that I found really disturbing was the number of letters I got after my original review of [Nirvana's] In Utero where I made that reference, people were saying, 'How dare you compare him to John Lennon?' And I say look at their life stories, listen to the music. If you don't see the connection then you're just not paying attention."

[ April 15, 2002 at 04:15 AM: Message edited by: FanHalen ]</p>
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still miss this band. But whats done is done....gotta move on.

Some positives....

Dave Grohl is one hell of a drummer. I watched a special "unseen" concert that Mtv2 aired this past weekend and I had forgat how he pounded those drums into the ground. I just read where Krist Novoselic has put together a band with the drummer from Sublime and a couple of other dudes.....here's to Krist.

I was thinking that it would be so cool for Nirvana to do what Queen did after Freddie Mercury's death. Nirvana (Krist & Dave) could throw a concert with the money going toward suicide/heroin prevention orginizations.

I think that would be a proper tribute to Cobain.....plus I get to her some of my most fav music again. It wouldn't be the same, but I would take it.....
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Please feel free to bash Cuntney Love.........
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by FanHalen:
    Please feel free to bash Cuntney Love.........
    I tell you what....before Kurt hooked up with that bitch, he had a pretty cool girlfriend that actually looked after him and frowned on hard drug use. Love was the absolute worst thing to happen to him.....and here she is, 8 fucking years later holding up the box set release and the "You know your right" single.

I've said it before and every passing day I believe it even more....Courtney = Yoko. Those are two bitches that absolutely fucked up the thinking of two great artist.......
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Fuck Courtney and her "anything for a buck" shameless plundering of Kurt's life and death for cash. Never could stand that bitch

Kurt, 8 years later it still fucking sucks like it was yesterday. Olympia still misses you [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight"
    Last Online

02.07.09 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was in Cheever Hall (the architecture building) on the campus of Montana State University when a classmate of mine ran in and said he had just seen on the AP Wire (he worked for the school newspaper) that Cobain was dead. Everyone in the building just stopped what they were doing, which NEVER happens. No one could believe it. I think everybody, whether they liked Nirvana or not, knew that this was a huge loss.

RIP Kurt.
    "Life sucks...get a fucking helmet!" - Denis Leary<br /><br />"Here's how I come up with my song titles...say you write a song about a chandelier...the chandelier puts out light...the light is red...red is the color you're not supposed to wear around a bull...so you call the song "Cow". - Billy Corgan

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was only 14 in 94 and wasn't in to music yet....all my classmates were into that music and couldn't believe what happened....since then, I got into music and now I am glad I didn't realize what music was losing when it happened...woulda been too depressing.

RIP Kurt

Go to hell Courtney
    Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of course in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.
    -Lewis Tully in Ghostbusters

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Fuck Kurt Cobain, Fuck Nirvana, Fuck Courtney Love! I never got the joke.... Nirvana sucked. OK, they had like 2 songs everyone liked, other then that, the best thing about Nirvana was that The Foo Fighters rose from the burned out ashes. I really give 2 shits about 99% of the grunge movement. Go get a fucking Happy Meal & lighten the hell up!
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SMUDGE NYC:
    Fuck Kurt Cobain, Fuck Nirvana, Fuck Courtney Love! I never got the joke.... Nirvana sucked. OK, they had like 2 songs everyone liked, other then that, the best thing about Nirvana was that The Foo Fighters rose from the burned out ashes. I really give 2 shits about 99% of the grunge movement. Go get a fucking Happy Meal & lighten the hell up!
    Wow! And that is coming from a musician! But hey, to each their own!
    "Life sucks...get a fucking helmet!" - Denis Leary<br /><br />"Here's how I come up with my song titles...say you write a song about a chandelier...the chandelier puts out light...the light is red...red is the color you're not supposed to wear around a bull...so you call the song "Cow". - Billy Corgan

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I must agree. I just like to pick any topic just to have people bash Love.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey Plaster Caster...

Didn't you say you had some friends who died on 9-11?

Print their names here, and on the anniversary of their deaths, I'll go off on some half assed diatribe about how much they suck.

How's that sound?
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whoa FORD! Those are totally different circumstances.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Different circumstances indeed, but dead folk are dead folk and unless they were completely devoid of any humanity when they were alive, there's no reason to treat 'em as such in death. I like some of Nirvana's stuff, but I can't even come close to calling myself a big fan, still can't see no reason to take shots at the guy.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh yeah!?!?!?!

Well Mr.Smudge, when your band makes it big and sells millions of records and you get hooked on heroin, marry Courtney Love, then commit suicide....I wont be there to take up for you from the thousands of slams your memory will suffer through!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Damn, FORD, that was a little too harsh.